• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reddit AMA with Dr Mady Hornig (March 6th at 1pm)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Microbe Discovery Project said:
Can you help? We're looking for a volunteer to post the questions on reddit that people post on our MDP Facebook page or on MDP threads here on PR.

This way, many people can be involved in this Q&A and more information can be garnered from this opportunity.

If you can help, please contact @aimossy via private message to coordinate the collation of the questions.

Note that @aimossy is in NZ and will be asleep now but will get back to you!

DanME

Hi,

very exciting news!!! As a heavy and frequent reddit user, I want to give you some overview...

Reddit can be very confusing and overwhelming at first. But in its essence it is remarkably easy to use. Reddit is a social networking and news site, which is incredibly effective in aggregating interesting and new content.

They are thousands of different subreddits, which means topics, where people can post news, information, articles, pictures, vids and more. Some examples are worldnews, europe, science, pictures, germany, space, atheism and so on...

People can up or downvote both new threads and new discussion entries. You can see two small grey arrows in front of any entry to do that.

One of the most frequented subreddits is AMA (Ask Me Anything), where a lot of popular people answer questions. Like Bill Gates, Obama or Jennifer Lawrence.

Science AMA is another version of that.

What you need to do to ask Mady Hornig some questions tomorrow is creating an account and very importantly to upvote the AMA and questions you like.

The reddit crowd (especially in the science subreddit) is usually very sophisticated and well behaved. Of course some trolls will comment. Just ignore and downvote them.

Enjoy, I will def ask some questions tomorrow!

helperofearth123

BTW reddit upvotes are much more powerful if they are done quickly after the submission is made. Upvotes done in the first 10 mins are worth a lot and they become worth less if you get your vote in later. After a few hours they are worth a lot less so people need to vote quickly! What will the title of the AMA be? I hope it will include ME/CFS and not just "CFS" or "ME".

Soundthealarm21

SB_1108

The action alert thread for this has been created here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-mady-hornig-to-the-front-page-ask-qns.36002/

Could someone who knows what they're talking about when it comes to reddit please check my post is correct?

@SB_1108? @Soundthealarm21?

Thanks! :)

I think you did a great job! I agree with @Soundthealarm21 about the /r/bestof thing... If that does occur, I'm not aware of it. Also, its important to note that the algorithm that Reddit uses to push things to the front page requires that a thread receive a lot of up votes especially in the beginning.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, guys!

When you say, 'at the beginning', is that when the AMA is first posted (which I gather is going to be 8am onwards) or when it starts (1pm)?

SB_1108

Thanks, guys!

When you say, 'at the beginning', is that when the AMA is first posted (which I gather is going to be 8am onwards) or when it starts (1pm)?

From what I understand, it is best to start upvoting at 8am and onwards rather than to wait until 1pm. But I've heard people say that the Reddit algorithm is very complex so I believe there is a lot that goes into the calculation.

mfairma

I just posted with a brief explanation of some of the definitional issues that muddle understanding of the disease. It wasn't a question, but please consider upvoting it to help anyone who sees the thread better judge the disease. My username is mfairma.

mfairma

Last edited:

Bob

To make them easier to read and print, we've collated all the Questions and Answers from the Reddit session, and created an easy-to-view format.

There are two links below. One takes you to a simple webpage where the Q&As can be viewed/printed, and the other link takes you to a google doc that can be viewed/printed or downloaded in various formats (e.g. word or PDF).

Webpage:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GzZn9MjBWnt9TQqNy0lYZBvU_XWgWMg7DYZAypeDm_A/pub

Google document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GzZn9MjBWnt9TQqNy0lYZBvU_XWgWMg7DYZAypeDm_A/edit?usp=sharing