• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What's the *cause* of alpha wave sleep disorder?

taniaaust1

@taniaaust1 but benzo supposed to induce relaxation state=alpha. Not beta. :confused:
Benzo suppressed REM sleep however..

Whoever typed my report, could of been wrong but they did make a comment with benzo and beta on it. If you've read otherwise, I'd trust that as those who did my report werent good. (they assumed my results were caused by an benzo drug so made that note but didnt even check to see if I'd ever taken any at all!! So dismissed my abnormality due to something I wasnt even doing or done).

physicsstudent13

I have extremely low slow wave sleep and CSA and klonopin+gabapentin helps a lot
what exactly are the bad effects of klonopin? I've been on it and I've never experienced anything negative so I'm really surprised about the withdrawal stories.

I didn't realize there were follow up comments to my post since July. I'm not getting notifications. Perchance, do you have the alpha wave disorder? Have you had a sleep study to show that the alpha stim reduces this activity. Or do you know if it's the meds you are taking?

As for meds, benzos are known to increase beta activity, the sleep doc told me. Beta is a fully awake (thinking) brain wave. Also, with long term use, benzos are also known to cause increased alpha activity. Alpha wave is an awake brain wave. It is not as awake as beta (thinking waves), but alpha is awake nonetheless. Benzos worked for me to get deep, refreshed sleep (it appeared to "fix" my alpha disorder)...they worked for nine years, until they didn't. The fallout from using them happened totally unexpectedly literally overnight. My alpha wave disorder became exponentially worse and completely disabled me. I lost my ability to drive, I required care givers. I cannot stress enough how dangerous I think benzos and z drugs (zolpidem/ ambien) are. They seem wonderful at first. Please be careful with these drugs. Personally I do not feel they should ever be prescribed for chronic use. They have warnings on them to not be used for more than 2-4 weeks which I believe is already too long. I know people who have had years of terrible ramifications from taking them even this short time. There is a whole movement of folks who have been harmed by these, and other psychiatric meds. Search benzo withdrawal and you will find them. To go off them safely, I highly recommend Heather Ashton's protocol (google it), which is extremely slow withdrawal. Doctors never explain to go that slowly. There have been conversations about this on this forum in other threads. Maybe search it.

physicsstudent13

I have never heard of a disorder called alpha wave sleep disorder, are you sure you are not taking unnecessary medications?

According to a Canadian study using a large number of patients and logistic regression with multivariables, klonopin increases the risk of Alzheimer's by a terrible 53%!!! It's too late for me since I've been on klonopin for perhaps 5 years now.
After observing my symptoms more closely I think gabapentin causes me cognitive impairment and it's very difficult to titrate the dose. Klonopin is supposed to lower delta wave sleep and stage 3 sleep. The neurologist who prescribed it to me was weird and I got into an argument with him and he told me that it doesn't increase oxygenation. I definitely feel closer to normal cognitive function on klonopin+gabapentin
I wrote to Dr. Guillimenault at Stanford who is the discoverer of sleep apnea and he gave me asv settings but he never ever responded to my question about benzas. He wrote an article for Springer on trazodone.

Last edited:

physicsstudent13

Is that a generally accepted explanation of why alpha waves appear during sleep, @WillowJ?

If so, then perhaps the focus here should be on what causes these instances of brief waking moments during sleep.

One obvious possibility is that noises during the night (such as cars driving by) may momentarily wake you. ME/CFS patients generally have a much greater sensitivity to sounds (ie, even during the day, ordinary sounds can be very disturbing and overstimulating to the mind if you have ME/CFS), so I imagine this greater sensitivity to sounds may make ME/CFS patients more easily aroused and thus momentarily awoken from sleep when there are noises during the night.

I have not had any sleep studies done on myself, but I know that I used to get woken up many times during the night because of noises like cars driving by.

My solution is to wear ear plugs while I sleep. This has greatly increased the quality and depth of my sleep.

The best ear plus I have ever found are Mack's Ear Seals. These are so good, that even when there was a pneumatic drill (jackhammer) just outside my bedroom, breaking up the tarmac on the road in the early morning, I put in these Mack's Ear Seals, and that extremely loud noise outside my house just faded into the distance, and I was able to get back to sleep, and sleep right through all the pneumatic drilling.

The Mack's Ear Seals ear plug actually fits into the ear canal. However, because of this, I don't find Mack's Ear Seals all that comfortable, so I only use them when there are roadworks or similar loud noises outside when I need to sleep.

But on most nights, I just use regular foam-type ear plugs that insert into the outer ear.
In studies noise disrupts and lowers delta wave sleep and ear plugs are great.
But I'm really ambivalent about klonopin+gabapentin it does seem effective, but am I just going to destroy my brain and get Alzheimer's because of it?

physicsstudent13

some weird and terrible neurologist put me on klonopin and increased my Alzheimer's risk by 84%!!!
I was really suffering from the fogginess and exhaustion from sleep apnea. I really hope that I don't die of Alzheimer's now at 50