• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acetyl L- Glutathione, ATP, Baking Soda, Sam-e & Catalase = No PEM after exercise

jason30

I am posting an update. I tried exercising 4 times a week and I crashed with PEM. Right now I also have the stomach flu so I am sure that had a bit to do with it. I was doing fine limiting myself to 3 times a week. I am going to try again and stick with the 3 times after I recover from the flu.

My conclusion is the supplements help me, but, of course, they are not a cure. I didn't expect that. For anyone who hasn't tried supplements, however, I would still suggest trying them. The Pall Protocol (Nutricology.com) and the extra supplements Glutathione (L-Glutathione & S-Acetyl Glutathione), NADH, Methylcobalamin, Catalase, MSM, Beta Alanine, Essential Amino Acids, DL-Phenylalaline and Sam-e have helped me the most in reducing the Fibromyalgia pain. I do take a lot of supplements! I am taking the Superoxide Dismutase out for now because it is made from wheat and I want to make sure that wasn't the cause of the crash. I also take Sucralfate and Zofran an hour before I take the supplements so I won't have stomach problems and take a break from all supplements on the weekend.

I have been able to reduce my dosage of tramadol down to one before I go to bed because of these supplements. Before them, I was taking two more doses a day. Further, before the supplements I was still going through the day with pain. I don't have any during the day now. I do have it right before bed though. However, this is a really significant improvement for me. If you have Fibromyalgia, I would definitely recommend trying these supplements.

But, I am still not sure about the ME/CFIDS. I want to stress that I do not have severe ME/CFIDS. I do get PEM after exercise that is getting better with supplements, but it is not gone and I have to be very careful not to go past my limits. And, I am still trying to figure out what the limits are with the supplements.

Thanks for the update. I also have Fibromyalgia. Since i am also a under-methylator i wonder if you had methylation problems before you started this protocol?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Thanks for the update. I also have Fibromyalgia. Since i am also a under-methylator i wonder if you had methylation problems before you started this protocol?
Yes, I assume so. I also use the Pall Protocol and Methyl b-12, which help me quite a bit.

jason30

Yes, I assume so. I also use the Pall Protocol and Methyl b-12, which help me quite a bit.

The reason why i asked is because i have read that it's better to start with the methylation protocol before starting any other supplements such as Glutathione etc.
I wanted to start with the Pall protocol and also Glutathione increasing supps because my Glutathione level is decreased, but i doubt whether i first have to start with the methylation protocol.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
The reason why i asked is because i have read that it's better to start with the methylation protocol before starting any other supplements such as Glutathione etc.
I wanted to start with the Pall protocol and also Glutathione increasing supps because my Glutathione level is decreased, but i doubt whether i first have to start with the methylation protocol.

I'm not sure. I started out slowly with the Pall Protocol and haven't noticed any negative effects.

drob31

But, I am still not sure about the ME/CFIDS. I want to stress that I do not have severe ME/CFIDS. I do get PEM after exercise that is getting better with supplements, but it is not gone and I have to be very careful not to go past my limits. And, I am still trying to figure out what the limits are with the supplements.

Do you think catalayse is one of the keys? Also do you think it's because of it's scavenging ability of peroxy nitrite?

jason30

I'm not sure. I started out slowly with the Pall Protocol and haven't noticed any negative effects.

Okay good to hear!
Do you take Glutathione orally? I have read that when you take it orally most of it is oxidized during digestion and thus unusable?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Okay good to hear!
Do you take Glutathione orally? I have read that when you take it orally most of it is oxidized during digestion and thus unusable?
I think the baking soda and catalase are most important for preventing PEM (for me). However, everyone is different. I have tried reduced glutathione which is the tripeptide precursor for glutathione and Nutricology S-Acetyl Glutathione and found that the S-Acetyl glutathione worked better. However, I have heard that liposomal glutathione is the best form. Seeking Health has a liposomal form of Glutathione that i am going to try next to see if it works better.

Last edited:

drob31

S-Acetyl Glutathione is the only form of glutathione that can be taken orally with a decent absorption rate. It's 300x higher absorption rate than regular reduced glutathione.

drob31

I tried catalase and baking soda and I'm not sure why I'm feeling better.

There could be many factors here because I change too many variables at once.

drob31

I also took 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.

Anyone think it would be wise to add SOD as well?

How about; s-acetyle glutathione, SOD, and catalase together? A super anti PEM stack?