• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Studies about negative consequences of psychogenic diagnoses - help?

CantThink

Also: http://pmj.bmj.com/content/64/750/281.short

Postgrad Med J 1988;64:281-282 doi:10.1136/pgmj.64.750.281
  • Research Article
Abdominal epilepsy misdiagnosed as psychogenic pain.
  1. P. D. Singhi,
  2. S. Kaur
Abstract
The authors present the case report of a child with abdominal epilepsy who had suffered from abdominal pain for several months under the label of psychogenic pain. The important historical clues were pallor and cold sweating during the paroxysm, followed by lethargy and prolonged sleep. An abnormal electroencephalogram and a remarkable response to anticovulsants confirmed the diagnosis. This condition must be considered in a child with undiagnosed recurrent abdominal pain.

CantThink

http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/9347601

Intradural neurenteric cyst of the cervical spine misdiagnosed as a psychogenic disorder in a 7-year-old-child.

Mochida J, Yamada S, Toh E, Shibata M, Oota K
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tokai University, School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan.
Spinal Cord [1997, 35(10):700-703]
Type: Journal Article, Case Reports
DOI: 10.1038/sj.sc.3100474
qmark.png

The patient is a 7-year-old Japanese female child with an intradural neurenteric cyst of the cervical spine. She had been misdiagnosed as having a psychogenic disorder due to the absence of neurological changes and bony anomalies. Subjective recovery followed the removal of the cyst.

Sidereal

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist
"They hadn't done anything for me or my cold. They didn't take my blood pressure or even my temperature,' she told the Post.
A nurse told her that if she cooperated and took the medication they gave her, she would be out in a shorter time period.
She said she was given Risperdal, which is used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, and Klonopin, used to treat panic disorder.
Taylor told the post that they had to line up and take their pills, 'just like in the movie Cuckoo's Nest'. "

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was written by a man who had worked in a psych hospital and was published in 1959. The movie premiered in 1975. Apparently it still has a great deal of relevance.

@Woolie and all,

The Eda Clare Smith 2011 study ‘Gender based diagnosing, the consequences of psychosomatic misdiagnoses and ‘doing credibility’ is cited on page 97 of Angela Kennedy’s book (‘Authors of our own Misfortune’), with the full EC Smith reference at the bottom of page 239.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheshire said:
Eda Clare Smith Gender-biased Diagnosing, the Consequences of Psychosomatic Misdiagnosis and 'Doing Credibility'
http://scholar.oxy.edu/sociology_student/5/

Woolie wrote: “Interesting, Cheshire, I think Angela Kennedy talks about this study in her book, but its not referenced anywhere, so great to have the link!”

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
It was repeated by, I think, the person behind that neurosymptoms site.

Interesting.
It looks like it suggests that there was never really as much misdiagnosis as previously reported, only poor study design.
Which has improved since then. :confused: