• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad Reaction to DHEA

Gondwanaland

This may be true, but I heard countless times that blood tests may not always be reliable for thyroid, plus what I have stated above. Yes, I take 200 mcg's of selenium.
I am no expert, but to me it seems you would benefit from methylation supplements and perhaps some thyroid glandulars along the road if your numbers get bad. Not an easy journey either.

But it seems each health mentor has his own idiosyncrasies, and there are people that even benefit from Marshall's protocol (I guess?). If taking T3 is the standard Ray Peat's protocol, it probably helps a certain profile of patients... I wish I was happier with my T3... I am certainly going to take a look at Ray Peat's guidelines, but I know he advocates for aspirin + K2 and I have uric acid issues - which BTW is a problem with folate as well, sorry I am rambling :ill:

Rand56

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Do you take selenium?

This may be true, but I heard countless times that blood tests may not always be reliable for thyroid, plus what I have stated above. Yes, I take 200 mcg's of selenium.
I am no expert, but to me it seems you would benefit from methylation supplements and perhaps some thyroid glandulars along the road if your numbers get bad. Not an easy journey either.

But it seems each health mentor has his own idiosyncrasies, and there are people that even benefit from Marshall's protocol (I guess?). If taking T3 is the standard Ray Peat's protocol, it probably helps a certain profile of patients... I wish I was happier with my T3... I am certainly going to take a look at Ray Peat's guidelines, but I know he advocates for aspirin + K2 and I have uric acid issues - which BTW is a problem with folate as well, sorry I am rambling :ill:

Been there, done that before on the methylation supps. Never got the so-called start up effects nor the mind brightening effects. I'm glad it works for a number of people though :)

I had a bad reaction to DHEA 25 mg... Had heart palpitations they went away over time... didnt do it again...

My dhea Levels are low and my cortisol levels were low too...

When metabolised DHEA needs to be sulfated - low levels of sulfate could be causing your reaction. You could try taking lower doses of DHEA and supplying sulfate using chondroitin sulfate or glucosamine sulfate orally or magnesium sulfate in a bath. Even with added sulfate I can only tolerate 12.5 to 20 mg DHEA.

Another thing to consider Daroo is that DHEA increases thyroid hormone.

Also I find some of peat's claims ludicrous. Claiming he gained an entire inch in height as an adult, after a month of taking DHEA. Can teenagers going through puberty even grow that fast? The other claim was that a mole fell off his face.