• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme Clinical Trial

msf

It says it is planned for early 2015, but it also says they still need to raise 62, 000 more dollars to fund the trial. I have to agree, though, it does look promising...

Martial

I submitted for it. Definitely interested and this looks like something that could actually be curative, especially exciting because it doesn't have the side effects and mixed outcome that prolonged antibiotics seem to carry.

edit*

I guess they are using some form of antibiotic with it, personally just curious to know what they are using to block manganese from bacterial cells. If you can halt the protein in the bacteria that feeds on manganese then you would literally starve to death every strain of the bacteria.

msf

The only way the bacterium could evade this kind of approach, apart from developing resistance, which the experts seem to think is less likely with this class of antibiotics. is for it to enter a lower metabolic state, which Lyme can do (the cyst form), but I guess we will just have to wait and see if this will protect it from such an approach.

Martial

The only way the bacterium could evade this kind of approach, apart from developing resistance, which the experts seem to think is less likely with this class of antibiotics. is for it to enter a lower metabolic state, which Lyme can do (the cyst form), but I guess we will just have to wait and see if this will protect it from such an approach.

I think the biggest thing is the amount of time you would need to be on the manganese blocking drug, not letting the bacteria to outlive the amount of time with treatment using the drug. They are working on something else to neutralize the protein in the bacteria that feeds on manganese. That itself would effectively cure the disease and is probably a simple one time thing.