• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad Reaction to DHEA

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
@Sherlock, thanks for keeping me posted. I'm keeping a list of risk factors to keep an eye on. Its all about dose and duration, though, so need to find out more about both of those in regards to diabetes!
Yep, and if you do go long term (in ITP, e.g., they go many months) then I've got tons to say based on taking care of a non-CFS relative - and love to talk about what I'd learned.

Like using low GI (works very well; do you know of your neighbor Jenny Brand-Miller's work?)

using low salt (so no need for diuretics)

no automatic weight gain (pred does not make fat out of thin air)

Last edited:

Rand56

Aha, at first glance I thought he was on gear but I think that's a Photoshop :)

LOL you know I thought that myself when I first saw that pic, who knows...BUT it's not out of the realm of possibility to look that good at an older age if you work at it, and have your nutrition nailed down good.

Sherlock

LOL you know I thought that myself when I first saw that pic, who knows...BUT it's not out of the realm of possibility to look that good at an older age if you work at it, and have your nutrition nailed down good.
You and me are both trying, right? :thumbsup:

Rand56

You and me are both trying, right? :)

Got that right I'm working at it. I do have good muscle bulk. I'm fortunate enough that it does not take me too long to put the muscle bulk back on after a layoff from the gym. Now if I can just work on dropping 10-15 lbs off my stomach, I'll be good to go LOL.

Oh and maybe I can get rid of my eyebags like Peat did after he stayed on Preg for awhile LOL

Sherlock

Got that right I'm working at it. I do have good muscle bulk. I'm fortunate enough that it does not take me too long to put the muscle bulk back on after a layoff from the gym. Now if I can just work on dropping 10-15 lbs off my stomach, I'll be good to go LOL.
How do you think that CFS/ME has affected you in this?

For me, my fingers/wrists/feet/ankles are really impeding me. I'm using straps for chins e.g., and can't wait until I can do floor presses again when wrists heal up (benching rips up my front shoulders so I restrict ROM). Otherwise, I need sleep within 2-3 hours PWO or things just are not right. Sometimes my muscles just don't work right, it's an odd feeling.

Rand56

How do you think that CFS/ME has affected you in this?

For me, my fingers/wrists/feet/ankles are really impeding me. I'm using straps for chins e.g., and can't wait until I can do floor presses again when wrists heal up (benching rips up my front shoulders so I restrict ROM). Otherwise, I need sleep within 2-3 hours PWO or things just are not right. Sometimes my muscles just don't work right, it's an odd feeling.

First off, I don't really believe I have CFS. I "thought" it was a possibility after a stint one day in the gym when I exerted myself too much one day, and afterwards, it took me a full week to recover from that. That had never happened to me before, in taking that long to recover. Thought there might be something more serious going on with me, which inspired me to come to this forum to try to learn some things. Then after I got to learn about PEM symptoms that many suffer from on here, I don't believe I was suffering from the true definition of PEM. Looking back on it, it was probably just a severe electrolyte imbalance, AND/OR me possibly being low thyroid because I did intensive cardio that day too in addition to lifting.

In any event, for years now I've been dealing with fatigue and depression, yanno, is it the chicken or the egg thing going on. I don't have health insurance, so I try to learn as much as I can on my own. I did have some blood tests done in April of 2013, just to find out if there was anything major going on with me. Some things were red flagged. Low alkaline phosphatase, high EOS<absolute>, low CO2, my total T and free T are just OK, but not optimal. My estradiol though is on the high side even though it was within their shitty range. 41.2 and need to get it down to around 25.0 thereabouts. Complete thyroid panel all checked out ok, but I still believe my thyroid still isn't up to snuff. Vitamin D was on the low end at 30, but I only had tested the 25- Hydroxy.

As far as when I'm in the gym..doing extensive cardio I can't do. It sets me back even further. So I stick to lifting, and just an occasional "walking" on the treadmill.

Edit: I don't like regular medical doctors. I like to stay away from them LOL

Last edited:

darroo

sorry slow reply my adrenal panel is
51553.jpg

Rand56

@Rand56: what, if anything, have you concluded is the cause of your very long recovery periods?

Btw, what Dr Chia says about his son with CFS is similar to you: very long recovery was initial sign, then he did weights not cardio.

Have you seen this thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...a-sam-e-catalase-no-pem-after-exercise.34446/

I skimmed thru that thread you posted before, but I'll read thru it more thoroughly again. First I'll say...never tried acetyl-l-glutathione...tried Sam-e quite some time ago..no effect..even at higher doses...never tried a seperate ATP supp....baking soda.."some" positive effect but not that much...as far as catalase..I have read on here it does not survive digestion.

Like I said in my previous post..that one time in the gym where I "seriously" overtrained that one day, I'm thinking what contributed more to my longer recovery after that, was the intensive cardio. That is the reason that to this day...I stay away from it. On occasion will only do some walking on the treadmill.

When I started reading up more on Peat's views, he says doing cardio is the absolute worst things to do if someone is low thyroid. I remember him saying that distance runners who have a lower resting pulse rate of around 60 or even lower..are actually in a hypothyroid state. Also read where he said that resting pulse rate and body temps may not give that great of a clue either. Atleast "his" contention is that stress hormones can both increase body temps and resting pulse rates. Yanno..to help compensate for lower thyroid activity.

So part of my blood test included a full thyroid panel...all tested "normal". Also read one of Peats articles where it was mentioned that the achilles heel reflex test can give a pretty good clue on thyroid status. "IF" this is a good indication of thyroid status..I "am" low thyroid. Upon the return of my heel..it comes back to the initial resting position slowly..bouncing back similar to a nuismatic door closing..yanno..with pauses along the way back.

So I figure "maybe" I'm on to something here LOL. Ordered some Nature-Throid <T4 and T3>
First time I took it sublingually felt like taking a nap and I did. Incidently, prior to me taking it, I had read from Peat <LOL>, that this could be a normal reaction for people who are low thyroid. Supplying it decreases the stress hormones. Maybe there was some mind over matter thing going on too, with me taking a nap..who knows. So I continued to take it but just took it orally cause I read it can stay in your system longer via that route. Thing is..I still didnt feel right..something is still missing. Either that or I didn't friggen need thyroid at all LOL.

I also read <from Peat of course LOL> that Pregnenalone can take some stress off the thyroid. Some posters on the peatforum who are also taking T3, said that higher doses of Preg has made them decrease their T3 intake. Taking Preg has kicked their body temps up another notch. Don't know if this is also a mind over matter thing too, but I have had some fleeting moments <they come and go quickly> ever since I started Preg, of feeling extra body heat.

Incidently...for the last few days now I upped my Preg intake to 100 mg's per day. First 2 days I felt more sluggish, which incidently makes my depression worse. Felt and looked more bloated. So I'm thinking too much is going to E with the extra fluid retention. The third day which was yesterday I felt better. "Could be" because I raised my Mangosteen intake from caps. When I did this..started whizzing more, and felt a heck of a lot better yesterday than the previous 2 days. So I'll stay with this dose for awhile. I have not had any adrenal stress symptoms at all from Preg.

I actually ordered and now have some T3 liquid. Right now I'm holding off on taking it because I want to be able to know what is doing what first. At some point I will add a small amount of T3 in to see if I get any better effect. I have never taken T3 on it's own before.

Interesting about Dr. Chia's son. You have a link that I can read up on it?

Sherlock

I skimmed thru that thread you posted before, but I'll read thru it more thoroughly again.
If you've tried bicarb, then no need to read that thread - unless you want to contribute your experience there for the public good.

I'm thinking what contributed more to my longer recovery after that, was the intensive cardio.

I think that cardio is the most recommended but IMO is the worst suggestion for exercise in CFS. Do you get elevated pulse for a long time (days) after cardio?

Try this short thread by @pone: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/causes-for-high-adrenalin.35907/

I actually ordered and now have some T3 liquid. Right now I'm holding off on taking it because I want to be able to know what is doing what first. At some point I will add a small amount of T3 in to see if I get any better effect. I have never taken T3 on it's own before.
I'll tag @Gondwanaland for the T3.

Interesting about Dr. Chia's son. You have a link that I can read up on it?
It's a video interview, one of the set of 4:

But not much more is said than what I've mentioned.

Last edited:

Rand56

What were the results? Did the panel include T3, FT3, RT3 and antibodies?

TSH... 1.13 range .450 - 4.500

Free T4.....1.29 range .82 - 1.77

Thyroxine<T4>....7.2 range 4.5 - 12.0

Free T3.......3.4 range 2.0 - 4.4

Reverse T3.....18.5 range 9.2 - 24.1

Thyroid Peroxidase(TPO) Ab < 6 range 0 - 34

Antithyroglobulin Ab < 20 range 0 - 40

Other hormone related results:

Total T 516 range 348 - 1197

Free T 10.8 range 7.2 - 24.0

Pregnenolone, MS 59 range adults < 151

DHT 56 range adult male 30 - 85

DHEA-Sulfate 102.2 range 51.7 - 295.0

Estradiol 41.2 range 7.6 - 42.6

SHBG 29.8 range 19.3 - 76.4

Rand56

@Sherlock

In answering your question if I get elevated pulse for awhile after cardio. When I did that extensive cardio...I did not monitor my pulse after that. My best educated guess is, I did not feel any effects of an abnormally high pulse afterwards. I basically just felt like a total slug, carrying around an extra 50lbs on my back, and worsened depression, until I finally starting started to recover a week later. When I say "recover", I mean back to my sub-optimal state. The reason why I did the intensive cardio...was way back when..years ago...intensive cardio helped my depression. This time around when I did it, it had the opposite effect..go figure eh LOL

My resting pulse rate is pretty stable. Any time I check it, it's right around 85 bpm, give or take a smidge. I also do not really suffer any high anxiety symtoms, just more of a low grade anxiety that I believe my body has become numb to. In contrast, when I came down with clinical depression over 20 years ago..I did have the typical can't eat, can't sleep, high anxiety symptoms. I also don't have symptoms of heart palpitations. Even if I get my pulse rate up higher just from lifting weights..I feel no ill effects.

Last edited:

Rand56

I'll also add that I have mentioned Peat a bunch in my above posts. For the record, I have no idea if he is right about everything he talks about..who knows. I follow "some" of his advice, but nowhere near the extent that some of these Peat diehards do. Figured it just another viewpoint to consider. I believe many people can relate on here about trying different shotgun approaches to try and feel better. Maybe at some point I'll get lucky.

Rand56

I am having a bumpy road myself trying to up my T3. Lower dose = hypo symptoms, higher dose = not good (low potassium?:confused:) :ill:

Have you tried going to the raypeatforum? Reason I say, I know a number of people are doing T3 on that forum. Do a search and no doubt you will come up with a number of threads, and maybe your question will be answered in one of them. I have not, as of yet, taken T3 myself to give you any advice.

Gondwanaland

TSH... 1.13 range .450 - 4.500

Free T4.....1.29 range .82 - 1.77

Thyroxine<T4>....7.2 range 4.5 - 12.0

Free T3.......3.4 range 2.0 - 4.4

Reverse T3.....18.5 range 9.2 - 24.1

Thyroid Peroxidase(TPO) Ab < 6 range 0 - 34

Antithyroglobulin Ab < 20 range 0 - 40
If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Do you take selenium?