• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy Brain fog and energy fluctuation - history of depression and anxiety

Santino

My calcium is not too high. It was slightly higher than magnesium. But both were in the optimal green zone (which is not a great range). So there is nothing wrong with either magnesium or calcium at this moment. But there is something wring with selenium and zinc was also a bit low (but not deficient).

I would like to take Selenium or Zinc, but I cannot tolerate any supplement, although you can provide a supplement of pure zinc powder. The selenium I took was pure selenium with some hcl. But I get this MCS or allergic reaction to it...So I cannot take Selenium because of this allergic response I get. I wanted to test brazil nuts, as soon as I feel I have no reaction to anything. Trying to achieve this state now with eating white rice and chicken + fish oil and flax seed oil. I don´t like to use as much flax seed oil, but at this moment there is no choice. I never noticed an adverse reaction to coconut or mct oil but I am not sure if it lead to some inflammation of my gut. I just cannot say for sure. Because of that I cut it out all to be sure...

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

MCS leads to salicylate intolerance, and anything acidic will worsen that (HCl, citric acid from citrate, salicylates from Brazil nuts)

There is an interesting document here if you want to take a look:
http://balancedconcepts.net/liver_phases_detox_paths.pdf

It seems that you can't use selenium for glutathione activation due to lack of glutathione co-factors or precursors, and are using selenium for T3 conversion as you told me you feel like hyperthyroid.

Santino

I said I feel more hyperthyroid than hypothyroid because you suggested hypothyroid. I do always feel like this. Not because of the selenium.

The foods which re considered good in this document just trigger most of my symptoms.

I don´t have any issues with salicylates. As I said: I also have no adverse reaction to e.g. coconut oil. But it may have had bad impact on gut inflammation. I am not sure.

brenda

@Santino

In my opinion, you need to get stablised on your diet alone before building up your stack of supplements. Why are you just eating white rice and chicken? Have you tried foods that you probaly rarely eat like chia seeds? And where was the rice grown? A lot of has arsenic in. Is the chicken organic?

Santino

That is my opinion also, but if you read my thread, you see, that I have difficulties with that because most foods triggered my symptoms badly in the last weeks. It may have been, that I got sensitive to supplements I as taking during that time, but it is more likely and seems that I cannot tolerate any amount of vitamin c and vitamin a naturally occuring in food. This is the same for beta carotine.

Give me a carrot and I begin to sweat and get sick. That is the reason why I stick to chicken and rice and flax seed oil at this moment. That´s not what I like or find healthy. I find it unhealthy or maybe neutral food.

Of course the chicken is not organic. If I could buy organic, I would buy high fat meat. But because I can´t, I stick to low fat meat like chicken as most toxins are in the fat.

I am still waiting to get stable on natural food. The supplements I used yesterday where supplements I could tolerate the last 2 months without any adverse effects. (one good probiotic and pure GABA).

I my eyes, there must be something going on like MCS or immunesystem response. On the other hand: This would not be an explanation to why I get these symptoms from natural vitamin C and natural vitamin a.

Last edited:

Santino

Now I can definitively say, that I react to coffee (I use very high quality bean from Dave Asprey). Today in the morning used it and my symptoms get really worse for a few hours.

It felt like my tonsils would be inflamed and my voice was hoarse for that time.

I think about just trying LDN in the hope that this can reverse some of these crazy reactions...

@Gondwanaland : You said, that you want to wait with LDN because of study but you said that you are trying a lot of other things right now. o for me this seems that you are not as convinced that LDN may help you, is that right?

Gondwanaland

this seems that you are not as convinced that LDN may help you, is that right?
From what I read LDN is an adjunct therapy and I will have to address thyroid and methylation anyway. That is what I am trying to do in the first place right now.

Santino

Regarding your thyroid (if you have hashi), then LDN seems not to be just adjunct (in my eyes there is no therapy which is not adjunct to diet and stress management) but has stopped the autoimmune processes in many cases or at least made them better, so that the thyroid also functioned better. Especially in diseases like crohns or UC I would underline that this is adjunct to diet and stress management.

Methylation is something I would like to address, too. But that is impossible if one reacts allergic to every supplement one tries. Maybe LDN coul help with that so that I also can start to address methylation?! That would be the ideal case but I don´t believe that there is any drug outside which do so much good things to me all at once...Had too many disappointments to believe that...

Anyway: I think it makes no sense to address methylation if you gut is not working properly. For me that is the case. Dr. Lynch and Dr Amy both underline that gut health needs to be addressed firth.

If I am lucky, the FMT could provide this for me on the long term. But I already have the treatment protocol they use in my clinic and guess what:

The treatment plan involves taking prebiotic supplements (either Bimuno or Galactomune).

I tried first one and as always, after a week or so I began to react to it with "my" typical allergic response...Bimuno has additives and there is Galactomune powder availible. But anyway: The lactulose has mostly the same prebiotic effects and was pure available, and I reacted to it after ca. 10 days, too...

In my case, for me, it is a vicious cycle where I cannot escape. LDN maybe something that could provide escaping, but as I said: This would be too good to be true.

The LDN arrived today. I have exam on thursday so I won´t take it today. I also don´t know if I take it thursday because a friend of mine contacted professors (physicians) which may want to help me. In this case they would run many tests and I don´t think it´s a good idea to take LDN before of that...

Gondwanaland

What about potassium deficiency in your case? Blood results don't tell anything about cell content of potassium. High fat diet lowers potassium.

Santino

potassium optimal. I had some sodium deficiency but that does not need to be addressed.

You can measure potassium if you look at blood+ cells. They did that in my case...

by the way: I found out that it was the fish oil and not the GABA and probiotics or I have to say:

the fish oil for sure, the other ones maybe...

But I am getting really sick in these moments because I took fish oil capsules in the morning.

Gondwanaland

Have you tested blood folate and homocysteine?

According to Freddd
Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy
digestive tract, increased hypersensitive responses , Skin rashes, Increased acne, Skin
peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, Angular Cheilitis, Canker
sores, Coated tongue, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical
Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body,
Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy
muscles, Flu like symptoms, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain
fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty
walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, Increase irritability, Loss
of reflexes, Fevers, Old symptoms returning, Heart palpitations, Bleeding easily.

Santino

not folate. Just folic acid.

Folic acid was upper norm always but that is no information for me...

I have slightly higher homocysteine.

But as I always said: I cannot work with that methylation.hypothesis because I cannot tolerate supplements...Even if I would test it and had high folate deficiency... What then?

Maybe you know a supplement with pure methyfolate?

I cannot tolerate any food high in folate (liver, green veggies) Liver is high in Vitamin A and the others are high in beta carotine and or vitamin C. At this moment everything makes me feel sick...especially liver was horrible

Santino

Still keep on reactin despite just eating rice, chicken and oil.

So I think about making either water fast or bone broth fast to heal gut lining. Maybe it is regarded to my recently diagnosed leaky gut that I react to everything....A 3 day bone broth fast may help give a good startup

Santino

show me a supplement without any fillers to which I am sensivitive too and please also show me evidence about that. You know that it is important for me to know where the information comes from. Because you also find on the internet that eating your own urine is healthy or that you should eat the shit of cows to kill candida...You find what you want and just like Chris Kresser, Dave Asprey, Rob Wolf, Dr Mecola, Dr Amy, Dr Lynch and so forth...I work evidence based.

Please show me where I find this and maybe you know a product without fillers. I would like to try it

Santino

Thanks. I already read that post.

Interestingly: I noticed same pesonality changes (the positive ones), but I never adressed mercury or heavy metal toxicity. In my case it is the opposite: The sicker I got over the years, the more I had positive changes in my personality. I am more calm, more optimistic, I care less about what others may think or say. Why? Because I had to change. The personality is something that is difficult to change. The more suffering there is and the more a person has no choice, the easier personality can change. That is what Victor Frankl explains very well in his books.

Though I know that easpecially irritability and anxious FEELINGS are triggered by whatever (mercury, methyfolate or b12 etc). But if you changed your personality, you still have the choice to not behave like you are anxious or irritable.

Anyway stridor had a lot good ideas for me. But as I always said: I cannot tolerate most supplements, so addressing methylation is difficult.

And I also don´t think that methylation is THE underlying cause. Think about the genes and it´s impact on humans compared to the genes of the bacteria that live on and in us. We have 150 times as much genes in an don our body´s from bacteria. I think the most important step is to change your microbiome. Methylation seems like peanuts if you have a sick gut. Some SNP´s can contribute to gut health, but I think they won´t be the underlying cause. This would be stress management/emotional life events, diet and environment (where you live, which people you are surrounded by, moldy house etc.).

Methylation as THE CAUSE for getting sick is seldom and maybe the case if you have some really bad homozygos mutations. That is just my opinion, but think about that everyperson has mutations.

Other factor are more important I think.

You told me to try the yeast boulardi. I researched the sites of Chris Kresser, but I think I did not find what you wanted me to find. Chris Kresser talks about it, but at end he seems to be much more convinced of self made Kefir to provide health benefits. I don´t eat any milk products since I started the ketogenic diet and I know I had trouble with milk products because of SIBO.

But yoghurt for example contributed more to my gut health than that it did any harm.

So I think about making Kefir myself, start low and go up. It would also be an alternative for the proteinsource I take because the only sources were chicken and Rice.

It also contains fat from full fat milk and also some b vitamins (also folate). It does not contain much lactose and the casein seems to be a bit different.

Last but not least does it contain more yeast and many probiotic bacteria.

So what do you think about self made kefir? Maybe you even tried it?

Gondwanaland

Last year I was taking water kefir but it never helped with constipation. I had to throw it away when I had problems with salicylates, histamines and sulfites.

I would kill for a spoon of Bavarian yogurt right now. The only times in my whole life I never had constipation was when I had access to German and Italian dairy. My gut was really healthy despite eating gluten at that time.

Santino

yogurt also helped me with gut health although I also got sick when I ate it regulary, but not because of it but because of Gluten and getting SIBO. When I had SIBO I got dizzy from any diary and it triggered my colitis.

But when doing rice and potatoe diet for a few days with probiotics, I could reintroduce yogurt again. Nontheless: it made me dizzy when I had SIBO once. supermarket Yogurt contains more or the same amount of histamine I think compared to Kefir. Kefir also contains more probiotics which should fight SIBO. So maybe it would be a good idea to try Kefir. Not just to treat my constipation but also to keep my gut flora healthy as soon as it was replaced.

I hope I can tolerate the amount of vitamin A in it.

At this moment I am doing a 3 day fast. I wanna see if the "allergiec like" or "flu- like"- symptoms go away when eating nothing but drinking water. Secondly a 3 day fast leads to autophagy which could treat underlying autoimmune causes and last but not least, it will help with my leaky gut (although I know that the permeability will come back as soon as I eat again) and reduces inflammation.
My last meal was Sunday 8 pm. So now is day 2 and today at 8 pm I will have 48 hours. Hope to see the effect tomorrow in the morning already.

Did you try self made kefir from milk as water kefir does not contain several healing substances?

I am just a bit concerned about the casein as it may have contributed to my bipolar disorder.

Cutting out any diary may have been one factor which lead to the stability on the ketogenic diet. Difficult to say....On the other hand whole ear 2013 I ate yogurt every morning and I reached a state where I was not that bipolar anymore at the end of 2013. I ate it everymorning with apples, pineapple and cornflakes...