• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Compression hose that don't stink

PearlGirl26

Living with CFS for years, recently diagnosed.
Does anyone have a compression stocking brand they can recommend that does not smell? I have MCAD and POTS and I can't seem to find a brand that works. Very expensive issue!

Thanks!

Gingergrrl

@PearlGirl26 Sorry I think I misunderstood your original question and when you asked for a brand that does not "stink" I thought you meant figuratively, not literally! But the two pairs that I bought from Bright Life Direct do not have any smell or fragrance to them whatsoever. But if you are very sensitive to certain fabrics or scents, you might call them and ask which ones they recommend in regard to this specific issue. Hope that helps!

awkwardlymodern

Forcing the past to blend with the future
Count me in to the compression hose club :depressed: I use Ames Walker sheer thigh-highs, in black and "wheat." The compression is very effective, but no one can tell they're medical... I've even been complimented on them! I never noticed any smell, but just checked to make sure...nothing. Mine are definitely not cotton though, so if you have a sensitivity to synthetic fabrics these may not work.

taniaaust1

Unless you have something like MCS to perfumes you probably wouldnt notice the "smell" on them at all. People without this kind of sensitivity dont.

Buying them from any store which also has perfumes and fragrances can mean the cotton has taken on board some of the chemical fragrances. I have a bit of this issue myself eg I sometimes have to change my clothes after shopping as just standing a metre away from someone wearing deodourant for just a minute or so.. can cause that to go through my own clothes and I'll be able to taste it etc half an hour later after Im home still and it can be making me sick (esp since the chemical may now be sitting on my own clothing near my face. .

If you have a mast cell disorder, this secondly source pick up of chemicals can go life threatening. If my uncle who has systemic mastocytosis ordered in any fabric stuff from an ordinary store..which had picked up perfumes from store.. that would put him into hospital and probably put him into anaphalatic shock. (He gets hospitalised just from someone chewing peppermint bubblegum and the chemicals in the air from that getting to him).

PearlGirl Ive got my support stockings from a medical supply place..of cause they dont have all the fragrances in which a normal store does. I cant recommend to you thou where I get mine from as its via doctors referal and it isnt a internet ordering place as they expect to do fittings etc there. Anyway, consider medical supply places rather then normal stores.

If Im remembering properly, I cant think now what brand is called but the well known sweeden brand I think it is of these (it starts with an S).. I think one could order them directly from the actual company who makes them via online.. rather then ordering them where they have been sitting in a store with other things. The company had the instructions for measuring up everywhere for a pair of theirs on its website.

Make sure you are ordering ones of the recommended pressure for POTS. I tried the ones the pressure below and found I only had a 15% improvement of my POTS (but that was still worth it for me). Next time I get some Im going to try the very tight ones of the pressure recommended (30??) . Issue is the tighter there are, the harder they are to get on and with ME one is often feeling weak so I was struggling at times to put on the lesser pressure ones.

Last edited:
As I so often find, nothing like these that I can find in the UK. They all look like the heavy surgical compression stockings which I hate. Both US outlets mentioned here do international shipping but it is expensive.

PearlGirl26

Living with CFS for years, recently diagnosed.
They have some really fun colors and tiedye now. I hear you on shipping though. Have you tried looking on Amazon US/UK? Some of the manufacturers sell directly there.

Also update on the stink factor: Sigvaris smell was awful even though they claim to be chem free. Juzo Soft was much better.

Also, if you have skinny legs and a big tum like me, don't be afraid to go with maternity sizing. Some offer "adjustable waists" as well.