• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Enlarged Thyroid

acrosstheveil

I have a very enlarged thyroid and was wondering what might be causing this. I am trying to get in to see an endocrinologist but they said the soonest they coudl say me was May and June for several of doctors with good reviews in this area.

My bloodwork seems relatively normal. here are some of my results:

• TSH - 1.750
  • Thyroxine (T4) - 7.1
  • Sedimenation Rate-Westergren - 2
  • C-Reactive Protein, Quant - 0.2
  • Antinuclear Antibodies Direct ( ANA Direct ) - Negative
I was diagnosed with Lyme disease 8 years ago and have been in treatment off and on for that over the years. It seems my symptoms never really went away even with hardcore antibiotics and herbal (combined) therapy. I just seemed to be wasting thousands and thousands of dollars with no improvement to show for it.

Anyone a thyroid expert? What could be causing this? My doctor mentioned a goiter which could be caused by lack of iodine but that can't be the case as I have done lots of iodine supplementation in the past. I stopped that as I read it could be bad for Hashimoto's (which I assumed could be a possibility) but iodine off or on never seems to affect my lab work one bit.

Gingergrrl

What country are you in? That can help with the referrals people may give you. I would definitely recommend an ultrasound of your thyroid to see what is going on visually. Also tests for T3 and T4, reverse T3 and T4 and both Hashimotos antibodies.

acrosstheveil

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I had an ultrasound of my thyroid. They confirmed that it was extremely enlarged. I am in the washington DC area if you know any doctors that have any availability. There seems to be a lot of good endos around here but they are all booked solid for 3-4 months.

acrosstheveil

when you mean thyroid meds are you referring to levothyroxine? I currently have some my old doctor gave me to try a while back. I took it for a week or so and I didn't notice much so I stopped. What dose would you recommend starting at?

Tammy

What is the normal range for T4 as indicated on your lab report? The enlarged thyroid could be due to inflammation or thyroid working overtime.

Tammy

Since you have to wait so long to see the endo............I would see if your Doctor can test for Anti-TPO AND TgAb.

acrosstheveil

i think i was taking 200 mcg of selenium a day at the time. I could have been off of it though. I can't remember.

Gingergrrl

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I had an ultrasound of my thyroid. They confirmed that it was extremely enlarged. I am in the washington DC area if you know any doctors that have any availability. There seems to be a lot of good endos around here but they are all booked solid for 3-4 months.

I didn't realize you already had a thyroid ultrasound and thought you meant it was enlarged just by your doctor feeling your neck. Did the ultrasound show a goiter or nodules, etc? Sorry I know nothing about the DC area but someone on here may.

acrosstheveil

he just said it confirmed that it was enlarged. He didn't say anything about nodules. But he called it a goiter.