• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Psychology Today Opinion piece regarding the IOM release

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Has anyone tried subscribing to get a user ID? This seems to be the only way to get past the login page.

alex3619

I caught a rumour circulating on the 'net which claims that just before the article was pulled a new comment appeared stating that Dr Shorter's blog insulted not only the patients but the also the researchers into this condition.......................it was signed............... Prof Simon Wessely....................allegedly. :D
If only we could substantiate this.

Bob

Attachments

• Psychology Today - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is Back - comments.pdf
    547.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Yogi

Zero tolerance is necessary now. The time for quietly accepting abuse is over. We need to expose all of them as we discover them.

Definitely agree with this. People like Edward Shorter used to release their hate and bigotry against ethnic minorities, other faiths and now there is zero tolerance towards this type of behaviour and in fact is criminalised. It just feels like ME patients are an acceptable group for people like Shorter to now channel their personal hatred and bigotry against and we now need to challenge this behaviour with zero tolerance!

Yogi

I managed to save a copy of all the comments yesterday, when 56 comments had been posted.
Some well-known advocates made comments, including Dr Enlander & Toni Bernhard.

You can download the attached PDF file, or I've made it available to view online as well:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw9CNtVoYI7oV0dHR3hUN0FveUk/view?usp=sharing

There was a comment which is not included by someone called Prof Simon Wessely which said that the article was insulting to patients and researchers alike. A few minutes later the article was removed.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
My thanks to @Bob for providing the comments link.
Many excellent comments.

The long comment by Anonymous titled 'Found out' was truly hilarious and laugh out loud funny and helped to counter-act the awfulness of the bile and venom Shorter was spewing.

Not everyone might agree but Shorter's piece is so clearly hate filled with no substance or any valid points that I think the article should be shared widely. It should go viral. It could only serve to 'out' professor shorter as an inciter of hate toward a group of vulnerable people.

Bob

I caught a rumour circulating on the 'net which claims that just before the article was pulled a new comment appeared stating that Dr Shorter's blog insulted not only the patients but the also the researchers into this condition.......................it was signed............... Prof Simon Wessely....................allegedly. :D
There was a comment which is not included by someone called Prof Simon Wessely which said that the article was insulting to patients and researchers alike. A few minutes later the article was removed.
Anyone can use any name when leaving comments ... so it probably was not him.
Wessely may well consider such candid comments damaging to psychiatry. In public, he would tend to say that ME/CFS is a real illness, and that patients need to be taken seriously.

I'd be surprised if he had lowered himself to defend patients on a third-party blog, but it is possible. He does use social media. But it could be anyone using his name.

Last edited:

Large Donner

Hi @anciendaze. Having an MD is not required to be a professor in a psychiatry department. People from other relevant disciplines like neuropsychology, psychopharmacology, molecular biology, genetics etc. with a research degree (PhD) and relevant postdoctoral research experience in psychiatry can be appointed too. In Shorter's case, he's a historian who's spent his whole career writing pseudohistorical diatribes on medicine and psychiatry so there's that.

Oh this is great to know. I got my ten metre swimming badge was I was 7, will this get me a professorship in a psychiatry department telling psychiatrists how and what to think. I

Shorters appointment there seems to be a classic case of the blind leading the.... urmmm.....those who refuse to see. But then why should they see when a historian is telling them what the cutting edge of modern science is. Oh boy what an oxymoron that is!!!!

Its obvious cars don't have electric windows and built in satellite navigation and run on petroleum gasoline systems cos George Stevenson invented the first steam driven engine and all this "car" nonsense was disproved years ago.

Another thing that gets my goat is all these people walking around talking to themselves thinking they are having a conversation with a person in another town on what the institute of engineering calls telephones. Its obvious these people have delusional schizoid beliefs, Freud proved that years ago.

It makes me sick when things where well explained hundreds of years ago people buy into all this modernism.

Anyway, back to a historian being at the head of a psychiatry department what's next? Perhaps Lady Gaga could be head coach of Manchester United. Or how about a clown as the Prime Minister. Oh..... wait........!!!!
clear.png

I have a PDF of the Shorter piece with 80 comments incase anybody wants it - but I have no idea how to share it.

The quality of responses was very high, including one from Toni Bernhard (last one I caught) who also writes for Psychology Today.

Thank you so much all of the people from Phoenix Rising who left comments - very much appreciated.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
They sent out a copy of his diatribe in today's Co-Cure email.
What was sobering is underneath was an update on Karina Hanson. Scary to know that persons like this, as ridiculous as they sound, can do this kind of harm.