• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Psychology Today Opinion piece regarding the IOM release

Kati

Patient in training
This is not pretty. This is a hate piece.

Just when you thought a stake had been driven through the heart of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)(link is external) it comes roaring back, propelled this time by a committee of the Institute of Medicine (part of the National Academy of Sciences). It’s a committee that the CFS patients’ lobby has roped, captured, and hogtied. How the Institute of Medicine could have let itself in for this embarrassment is a mystery. Their report is valueless, junk science at its worst.

And it gets worse from there... Here is the link if you dare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob

I'm glad he hates the report so passionately. If he hates it that much, the committee must have done something right with their report! And you know what happened to dinosaurs in the end? They lived in an environment in which they thrived, and when the environment changed, they died out. First signs of extinction?

Last edited:

Bob

Gosh, I'm only half way through and I'm speechless. It's full of utter venom, malice and spite. Not to mention the factual inaccuracies and slander running all the way through it.

I don't think they should pull this article. We need it in the public domain as evidence of what we have to put up with. It's unusual for this sort of thing to be said in full public view. Can anyone grab a copy of it before it's taken down?