• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose folate, B2 and elevation of ammonia and uric acid (for dummies)

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Still up in the air: do the bad effects from sugar result from the sugar getting absorbed into the bloodstream and creating some downstream problem, or do the bad effects occur because sugar feeds some gut yeast or bacteria which then creates the problem.
@MeSci
You had previously pointed out how some gut bacteria feed on sugar and can create acids which lower urine pH. Do you know of any bacteria that create products which lead ditrectly to polyuria or joint inflammation?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
@MeSci
You had previously pointed out how some gut bacteria feed on sugar and can create acids which lower urine pH. Do you know of any bacteria that create products which lead ditrectly to polyuria or joint inflammation?

I wish I did. I would love to be rid of my accursed polyuria, which seems to be worst after exertion. Let me know if you find out!

MeSci

I forget now if you also have urci acid or not... Exertion raises acidity. High acidity increases urination (there is an increased need to excrete acidity).

Do you have a link that explicitly says this? I don't disbelieve it, but I just haven't yet found a paper that categorically states it. I have papers that state how excess lactic acid is processed and excreted, but I have found no mention of increased urination/diuresis.

My serum uric acid has always tested OK, but I don't know if I've had it tested during the aftermath of exertion.

Gondwanaland

@MeSci I never searched for papers about it. I just assume that increased acidity increases excretion through urine concluding from my n=1 observation. I might be wrong, but coincidentally I got better from 10 years of high volume, frequent urination with a neutralizing protocol using transdermal sodium bicarbonate and oral magnesium oxide.

Gondwanaland

BTW I saw one GYN that said: "no infection from your urinanalysis". Other GYN prescribed me cipro despite the negative test. When it didn't work and even made it worse, she prescribed me one month of doxy, but then I left and never went back to see her again and threw the prescription away. That was September 2013. It took me almost a year to figure something out on my own.

Sidereal

BTW I saw one GYN that said: "no infection from your urinanalysis". Other GYN prescribed me cipro despite the negative test. When it didn't work and even made it worse, she prescribed me one month of doxy, but then I left and never went back to see her again and threw the prescription away. That was September 2013. It took me almost a year to figure something out on my own.

My GP also gave me Cipro (even though urine was negative for infection) and that made my interstitial cystitis much worse.

MeSci

@MeSci I never searched for papers about it. I just assume that increased acidity increases excretion through urine concluding from my n=1 observation. I might be wrong, but coincidentally I got better from 10 years of high volume, frequent urination with a neutralizing protocol using transdermal sodium bicarbonate and oral magnesium oxide.

I have been taking 8-10g oral sodium bicarb for approaching 3 years, and have been taking bone mineral supplements including magnesium for over 4 years, and I think my diet has good quantities of magnesium. It is a supplement I am considering, but I'm waiting to see whether I have any effects from my current Vit D supplementation first. I like to give new things a few months before trying anything additional.

It is quite clear to me that my polyuria involving loss of solutes (as opposed to the type that is fixed with desmopressin, which is more regular - more an underlying condition) is triggered by exertion, and may be a cause of PEM via causing mineral deficiency, but I'm not sure how. This is one of my holy grails!

Gondwanaland

My GP also gave me Cipro (even though urine was negative for infection) and that made my interstitial cystitis much worse.
Even Wikipedia (astonishingly comprehensive info there!) knows that
:rolleyes:
Just recently I experienced needle-like bladder pain caused by eating bee pollen and drinking apple juice (in place of supplementing malic acid - eating apples is fine though).
I like to give new things a few months before trying anything additional.
Very wise :nerd:
This is one of my holy grails!
Good luck :hug:
Have you ever tried K2-MK4? What is your urine pH in the evening?

Gondwanaland

Contexts possibly linked with high ammonia:
+/+ CBS
+/+ MAO-A
Serotonin syndrome

If anyone recalls other conditions/situations please post here.

sregan

I'm running into increased nightime polyuria which started just before I ramped down my Mfolate and MB12 and is still with me. Anything that disturbs sleep is something, for me, that needs to be addressed immediately.

Gondwanaland

@sregan do you have pH strips? If you don't, do a mouth swish with 1/2 glass of water and 1/4 tsp of sodium bicarb. If it feels good and your tongue relaxes then do a bicarb foot bath with 1/2 or 1 Tbsp of bicarb in the water.

Gondwanaland

If urine is too acidic in the evening (lower than 5.5 IME) it is a bad sign. But the bicarb mouth swish is a good test as well.

PennyIA

Do you have a link that explicitly says this?

No studies here either... but I've also noted a correlation myself with increased uric acid symptoms (I do have gout) ... is almost always preceded by increased urination... which works great until I start passing crystals in the urine which if they clump up incorrectly can cause sudden intense pain which on top of frequent urinary need is a HORRID combination.