• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Significant improvement on MitoQ

cigana

It would be interesting to see if further benefits are noticed at higher doses of MitoQ. Unfortunately this will be more expensive; although since @cigana observed that the effects kick in very fast, within a few hours of taking MitoQ, one could just take a higher dose level just as an experiment for a day, and see if on that day increased benefits were noticed.

In the clinical trails on Parkinson's disease, patients were given a pretty high oral MitoQ dose of 40 or 80 mg per day for a year (MitoQ did not show any benefit for Parkinson's though; but I understand that N-acetyl-cysteine is the antioxidant par excellence for Parkinson's).

The cost of MitoQ appears to be £0.58 per 5 mg pill.
Yes based on that paper I am planning to try 40mg and 80mg. I've already tried doubling the dose (to 20mg) and that had no discernable effect. I'll try 40mg tomorrow, and will of course report if I find anything positive.
EDIT: I'm always bearing in mind that in the Gulf War Illness study with ubiquinone, they found a lower dose to be more effective.

There are many mitochondrial supports to support the different antioxidant pathways in the mitochondria and intra and extra-cellular matrices.

What works for one and not another – or what did not work months ago and now seems to be working may have to do more with the multifaceted, diverse reasons for one’s fatigue.

Examples of what may be involved in an individual’s fatigue include mitochondria dysfunction, protein degradation dysfunction, viral infections, aggregation of alpha synuclein to neurotoxic oligomers, toxins, hormone dysfunction, oxidative and endoplasmic reticulum stress, allergies, and neuroinflammation.

Agreed that getting the mitochondria to function properly and trying various mito supplements is important – but depending on your genetics, it may not be an easy fix.

Keep in mind that 23andMe only tests about 17% of mitochondrial DNA.

There are some labs and researchers looking at mtDNA testing. It is very new – and it not well understood. Those who are born with mtDNA issues that affect growth and cellular respiration are the true canaries in the coal mine. Those who acquire epigenetic mtDNA SNPs due to toxins and stressors and are not responding well to any of the suggested mitochondrial supports may benefit from mtDNA testing.

There are labs that test and maintain databases to try to understand SNP combinations. One is http://www.courtagen.com/

Click here for a podcast to understand the complexities of mtDNA Genetics, Genomics and Mitochondrial DNA Testing http://www.mitoaction.org/files/podcasts/20071015129715_0803-boles-2012-08-03.mp3

Slides for podcast - http://www.slideshare.net/fullscree...-advances-in-genetics-and-genomics-13862521/1

Whatever you do, do not give up trying or analyzing. If you did not always feel fatigued, there is an answer. It just may take some time and experimentation. Just remember that what did not work before – like a hormonal or other approach, may be worth trying once you have solved some of the other stressors.

Last edited:

boohealth

@Bluebrid -- Mitochondria and nuclear DNA work together. A mito mutation is bad if it then throws the nuclear/mito synergy out of whack. That's why one person with mitoDNA mutation may be fine and another sick. So the science is so far from being useful.

cigana

Just FYI, the MitoQ lost its positive effect on me, after about 2 weeks. I'm trying to work out why that was.

One possibility is that prior to starting MitoQ I was injecting 100ng/week gc-maf, though I had stopped that about 2 weeks prior to starting the MitoQ. It's possible MitoQ only works well in me when combined with gc-maf. With gcmaf.eu now banned from distributing to the UK, I can't test this idea.

I recently tried a 3 week break, and can report I did feel some positive increase in energy when I had my first dose again, although it was not as strong as what I reported in the beginning of this thread.

Ema

I finished out my bottle of MitoQ finally. I tried both 5 mg and 10 mg doses but never noticed any changes. Certainly nothing to justify the price.

Now the skin serum on the other hand is seriously a find. It really works, especially on fine lines. I highly recommend trying it.

perchance dreamer

Hi, @Ema. I'm glad you like the serum. I've used it a long time now and find it helps with fine lines and firming.

I just started wearing out t-shirts and scoop-necked tops again and noticed that the sun damage on my chest is noticeably better now. It's still there, but I'm no longer mortified about it. It did take months and months, though, to see this improvement.

Ema

Hi, @Ema. I'm glad you like the serum. I've used it a long time now and find it helps with fine lines and firming.

I just started wearing out t-shirts and scoop-necked tops again and noticed that the sun damage on my chest is noticeably better now. It's still there, but I'm no longer mortified about it. It did take months and months, though, to see this improvement.
I need to get more religious about applying it to my chest. I was not good enough about sunscreen in that area in my younger years and I can tell the difference for sure. It's good to know that the serum will help if I keep up with it.

At the risk of derailing this thread for vanity products, I'm also in love with Amorepacific's Cushion compact. It's SPF 50 and really makes skin glow. I'm super picky about stuff like this too. Though it's probably filled with awful chemicals. (Please I don't want to know!).

SDSue

Southeast
I finished out my bottle of MitoQ finally. I tried both 5 mg and 10 mg doses but never noticed any changes. Certainly nothing to justify the price.

Now the skin serum on the other hand is seriously a find. It really works, especially on fine lines. I highly recommend trying it.
This is exactly my experience, Ema. I've nearly finished my first bottle of MitoQ and have noticed nothing. (I don't notice anything from any form of CoQ) but the serum was a pleasant surprise!

Great, another way to look even better so we can get more "but you look so good" comments lol.

xks201

The whole positive charge ubiquinol thing being Better attracted to mitochondria is total Bs. Good marketing scheme but the body is not that simple loL. They may have found that result in a petri dish but that's not how it works after it goes through digestion etc etc

whodathunkit

Read this thread with interest, particularly about the skin serum. I'm a total skin care junkie although my interest has waned recently simply because so much out there is essentially useless. @Ema, @SDSue, mind sharing the ingredients list of the skin serum? Any bad nasties in it?

Has anyone (@Hip, etc.) had any more good results (or not) with the MitoQ?

Ema

Read this thread with interest, particularly about the skin serum. I'm a total skin care junkie although my interest has waned recently simply because so much out there is essentially useless. @Ema, @SDSue, mind sharing the ingredients list of the skin serum? Any bad nasties in it?

Has anyone (@Hip, etc.) had any more good results (or not) with the MitoQ?
Ingredients: Aqua (water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate,Dicapryl Carbonate, Glycerin, Mitoquinol Mesylate, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol.

perchance dreamer

I get my MitoQ Serum from the Truth in Aging site. You sign up for the newsletter, and you get discounts and points for things you've purchased. They don't do anything evil with your information such as sell it to other sites for marketing. You get email notices about sales they are having.

The last time I bought it the price was $83 with the announced sale on it and points I had accumulated, so I saved $36. The regular price is $119 for 1.7 oz.

I use 4 pumps a day, and it lasts me well over 2 months. My skin's dry, so I do have to use a little moisturizer over it.

I'm willing to pay it because it's one of the few skincare items I've bought that visibly improves my skin.

Rand56

SHOW ME THE MONEY!! :rofl:

Ok will do....

Ema on TV: My "Ema's Fountain of Youth" Skin Serum is SO amazing it will take 15 years off your looks OVERNIGHT!! <guaranteed or your money back>

SPECIAL OFFER! Be one of the first 500 callers and we will DOUBLE the offer. That's right..2 bottles for the price of one!! All this for the LOW introductory price of $299 per bottle. Save $299 by calling NOW! Hurry while supplies last!!
Just call....

1-800-EMA-SKIN and call NOW!

hahahaha just messin with you ;)

Ema

Ok will do....

Ema on TV: My "Ema's Fountain of Youth" Skin Serum is SO amazing it will take 15 years off your looks OVERNIGHT!! <guaranteed or your money back>

SPECIAL OFFER! Be one of the first 500 callers and we will DOUBLE the offer. That's right..2 bottles for the price of one!! All this for the LOW introductory price of $299 per bottle. Save $299 by calling NOW! Hurry while supplies last!!
Just call....

1-800-EMA-SKIN and call NOW!

hahahaha just messin with you ;)
You can be my hype man anyday! ;)