• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Stomach Acid and High Uric Acid

xrunner

Hi
I was consuming more or less 7-8 ribs a day depending on size which was variable, if the ribs were small a whole head. If it had a diuretic effect not sure and didn't notice, anyhow I did not have any electrolytes imbalance at the time.
It's supposed to have some androgenic/testosterone effects which was probably true but did not have tests to confirm that.
@Peyt I don't know about celery root.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
So as far as uric acid, my understanding is that it's the excess purines that create that... so my thought is, is there a specific enzyme to take with food to help breakdown the purines so it does not build up in the first place? Has bromelain been shown to help with purines breakdown?

I suspect if you mixed an enzyme with the food and left it long enough to destroy the purines it would taste foul. And if you took an enzyme with the food it would probably be destroyed by gastric acid. In fact you probably would need several enzymes because urate is several steps down the metabolic pathway and each enzyme does one step - if it was practical I think it would be known about.

The standard ways to reduce urate levels are:
Keep weight to within 10% of ideal (obesity is associated with high urate) - probably the most useful thing
Keep alcohol consumption to minimum
Avoid foods with high purines - this includes red meat and nuts and most interesting things and may not make that much difference since most of the urate comes from your own purines being broken down
Do not starve completely (puts urate up temporarily)
Do not use aspirin or certain types of diuretic
If none of this is enough ask a doctor about taking allopurinol, which brings urate down to normal for most people but allergies occur in a few people.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
This book describes how uric acid can be the cause of headaches, and a lot of other things.

https://archive.org/details/uricacidanepito01haiggoog

Intriguing. A pity that the logic is completely topsy turvy. He says that he gets headache when he is peeing lots of uric acid and stops his headache by stopping the excretion of uric acid - which of course would raise the level in the brain and blood higher. Maybe he ate too much and that of course can lead to both gout and hypertension - which could perhaps be the cause of headache, although nothing to do with the uric acid.

Interesting that he was clearly not thought very highly of by his colleagues! Maria Theresa Villiers Earle recounts that 'in England I was lately told by a medical man of high standing and large practice that 'Dr Haig stood alone in his opinions which were not shared by a single member of his profession' '. Maybe nothing changes much!! People weer writing twaddle long before the internet it seems.

Violeta

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills. Also, C.W.Earle wrote books not only explaining but also praising the work of Alexander Haig. If you have a hard time understanding the book, her book might make it easier to understand.

Mel9

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills. Also, C.W.Earle wrote books not only explaining but also praising the work of Alexander Haig. If you have a hard time understanding the book, her book might make it easier to understand.

In 2014 it is probably best to avoid using books written in early 20th century I think?
There has been an awful lot of scientific research since then
I am new to this disease
This conversation is very interesting
Thanks everyone

@Peyt have you managed to find a way to lower Uric acid levels and keep taking HCL? I have been benefitting from using HCL over the past few days but have started having almighty headaches......

Previous to this I suspected I had raised Uric acid as began to have random and unexplained joint and bone aches. My worse than useless GP didn't even check Uric acid on first visit, then I went back again and he said he would. He measured urate- does anybody know if that is the same??

My joint pain has been steadily diminishing on the whole as I have gone back on a more balanced diet- I was on minimal protein when joint pain began as following CBS maybe too religiously. Don't know if very imbalanced diet would raise Uric acid? I did lose loads of weight v rapidly.

Anyway- for me there is seeming to be a link with HCL and headache. I also noticed that toothpaste related joint pain(salicylates >Uric acid?) was creeping in again yesterday....... Maybe I will ease off on the HCL for a meal or 2 but it so helps with digestion. Aagh!

I have also been having liver and pancreas pain though so may have more complications/gremlins at work!

Peyt

@Mels, I still have not figured it out. I have stopped taking HCL... there are so many possible reasons. When I put up this thread, I suspected High Uric Acid levels, because that's what showed on my blood test as out of range... but I have since discovered that I have High Homocysteine as well... and I read on line that High Homocesteine can contribute to migraine headaches.... Also the genetic snp BHMT which creates problems with Betaine which is in HCL (HCL supplement is Beataine hydrochloric acid) .. Another suspect is the COMT+/+ gene which makes too much dopamine and neuropenephrine that can cause headaches.... If HCL contributes to any of these already mutated genes further it can rev up or slow down the methylation cycle and cause headaches.... so complicated .

@Peyt - complicated is an understatement! Everything is so interwoven and just when I think I am beginning to understand something and try to sort t, I seem to trigger some other imbalance. Cannot believe my body worked so well for 48 years then suddenly went into this horrible decline.

I'm no further forward but just thought I'd say that I have been taking just HCL - no Betaine. It may - or may not - be of help to you? I buy mine from self health enterprises(a UK company). Also, I have high homocysteine - measures 9, my environmental doc says this is too high. What is yours?

Seems that my recent attempts into methylation may be causing high histamine now.....

Vegas

My high uric acid lead me to salicylate intolerance. I reversed it with a couple of sodium bicarbonate baths and with aggressive magnesium (oxide) supplementation (3x daily away from meals).

Magnesium is highly supportive of growth of a number of commensal anaerobes. This is specific to forms of magnesium complexes one would find in nature. MgO would be one of these, MgSO4 another. The mechanism by which salicylate intolerance/hyperuricemia improved may relate to altering your microbial constitution, especially given that the microbes that can utilize this are highly efficient phenolic degraders and inorganic Mg availability effects their growth in so small way.

Eventually, salicin can actually be used to ones benefit, I think, since it is directly metabolized by a number of commensals.

ebethc

Okay, let me explain this in a conventional medicine way for you,... This is how my GI Dr. who is well versed in SIBO and is from Cedar Cyanide Hospital explained it to me when I told him acidic supplements help me:

In the case of SIBO, the bacteria from the large intestine travels from the large intestine and enters the small intestine(where it's not suppose to be). The main portion of this bacteria sits at the end of small intestine (I believe it's called ileum). This bacteria feasts on undigested foods and after eating produces either a Hydrogen or Methane gas(which causes the bloating) ... The reason why acidic supplements and digestive enzymes are helpful is because they help breakdown the food in earlier parts of the intestine, so by the time it gets to ilenum there is no nutritional value for the bacteria to eat, therefore you don't feel the bloating and gas that you normally feel..... Same idea goes with certain diets that are suggested to SIBO patients... The reason certain foods are prohibited for SIBO patients is because those foods take longer to breakdown in the intestine ... The longer it takes for them to breakdown the more nutrition when it gets to the ilenum for the bacteria to feast on....

@Peyt

which stomach acid supps do you take? I think I have a methane problem.. lots of bloating.. I took a SIBO test and it was inconclusive, and I haven't taken it again yet...

ebethc

You will have to tag @xrunner for that. I think the idea here w/ celery is diuretics. Be careful that diuretics can deplete you from vitamin B1 (for instance).

Nothing will be free of side effects. If you overdo with Mg supp, you will have to balance the other electrolytes.

@Gondwanaland - what has worked for you to create more stomach acid?

Gondwanaland

what type of calcium do you take - if any?
I have only tolerated calcium supplementation for 3 days last December and I took fifty milligrams per day (cheap calcium carbonate). It instantly cleared brainfog and my urine had a strong smell and I don't know what it was.

ebethc

I have only tolerated calcium supplementation for 3 days last December and I took fifty milligrams per day (cheap calcium carbonate). It instantly cleared brainfog and my urine had a strong smell and I don't know what it was.
that's promising! I've been taking high doses of magnesium malate, which has been helpful.. However, I don't want to throw the cal-mag balance off, so I think I need some calcium, too. electrolytes are key, and I've been ignoring them lately...