• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV - Study reveals how a cancer-causing virus blocks human immune response

Bob

Study reveals how a cancer-causing virus blocks human immune response
26 Jan 2015
University of Texas at Austin
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-01/uota-srh012115.php

Scientists at The University of Texas at Austin and the University of California at San Francisco have revealed how a type of cancer-causing virus outwits the human body's immune response. The discovery might help explain why some cancer therapies fail to treat certain cancers and might lead to more effective treatments.

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), a virus of the herpes family, causes an estimated 200,000 cancers every year, including lymphomas, nasopharyngeal cancers and some stomach cancers. Better anti-viral drugs could help thousands of people suffering from these cancers.
Continue reading:

Antares in NYC

Study reveals how a cancer-causing virus blocks human immune response
26 Jan 2015
University of Texas at Austin

Continue reading:
Fascinating study.
I find it interesting that this mechanism is shared by several herpes viruses, so I can imagine that if you have EBV, HHV6 and HVS1, your immune system is getting pummeled and your interferon response rendered completely useless by their combination of immune-disabling RNA. Imagine that!

Also, I was reading recently that the Lyme bacterium Borrelia also uses a similar immune evasion strategy.

From the article: "...several herpes viruses that block a component of a human's innate immune system called the interferon response".

What's interesting about herpes viruses is that a few of their actions seem to be antiinflammatory. Which is weird because if these latent herpes viruses were a major factor contributing to ME, why do we feel so inflamed all the time?

Another one I've heard of are Interleukin-10. The virus produces a fake version of this antiinflammatory cytokine.

It makes sense, I suppose, why would a virus want to create inflammation? It wants to do the opposite, to prevent its chances of being attacked by the immune system. But whatever role these substances play in ME, its not at all straightforward.

If latent herpes viruses are a factor in some cases of ME, I wonder whether perhaps our problem might be the opposite. Rather than immune system evasion, our immune systems remain on high alert and are actively trying to eradicate latent infection whenever it reveals itself. Hence the massive immune responses to a triggering event as small as a little overexertion. This would also explain the exhaustion of the pools EBV-responsive B and T cells reported in that recent PlosONE paper.

natasa778

If latent herpes viruses are a factor in some cases of ME, I wonder whether perhaps our problem might be the opposite. Rather than immune system evasion, our immune systems remain on high alert and are actively trying to eradicate latent infection whenever it reveals itself. Hence the massive immune responses to a triggering event as small as a little overexertion. This would also explain the exhaustion of the pools EBV-responsive B and T cells reported in that recent PlosONE paper.

Also fits in nicely with the Cell Danger Response theory of diseases

natasa778

The theory is not that new - well at least Naviaux has been at it for a while - but it has caught wind recently with successful suramin experiments in two different mouse models ... Def something to keep an eye on. The biggest downside, apart from the theory having been demonstrated only in animal models so far, is that suramin is riddled with serious side effects and there are no other purinergic antagonists out there. So even if the upcoming human 'proof of concept' trial is successful it will be years until safer alternatives are developed, if ever.