• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shingles-like pain in lower calves

KRR

Strange symptom that flares up periodically, intense itching-burning pain in the area of the lower calf, on BOTH legs, with NO outbreak at all on the skin. I know that shingles can present without rash, but can it also present bilaterally? It's more on the outer side of the lower calves, from around the ankle to about 6 inches up. The skin is so hypersensitive that even light touch is excruciating.

Gets very bad at night preventing sleep, and the only thing that has helped so far is to knock myself out with an antihistamine so I can sleep it off. And it's a bit better the next morning, and almost gone during the day. I plan to try some Emuaid cream (tea tree oil, colloidal silver, lysine).

My internist doesn't have a clue except that it could be something neurological, but he wanted me to see a dermatologist first to rule out that area, but in my condition I don't want to waste energy on that. I really think it's virally related, whether shingles or some other chronic virus flaring up and attacking the nerves in that area.

Does this sound consistent at all with any of the chronic viruses associated with CFS/ME? I'm sure I have plenty of them, although haven't been tested in recent years.

halcyon

Does this sound consistent at all with any of the chronic viruses associated with CFS/ME? I'm sure I have plenty of them, although haven't been tested in recent years.
I'd say yes. Enterovirus can infect muscle and nerve. Herpes viruses can get into the nerves as well.

Dr. Ramsay even specifically points out in his ME definition that muscle issues are common in the calf and trapezius.

KRR

Interesting, thanks. I have trapezius pain too, but the calf pain seems to be more superficial, just in the skin, not a deep muscle pain. I had no idea how intensely painful those nerves could be. But it helps at least to have a sense that it's viral.