• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting magnesium into cells

girlfromeurope

Hi I have a magnesium deficiency but magnesium pills don't help.
I also had a b6 deficiency and I'm supplementing that. I think my b6 levels are going up( symptoms improving) but I still keep having low mag symptoms. Are there other cofactors to get magnesium into the cells?

perchance dreamer

I take MG lacate and MG glycinate/malate orally, but I recently started taking really strong epsom salt baths, 3 cups instead of the recommended 1-2 cups. It helps my sleep more than the oral forms. I soak for 15 minutes in the bath.

A lot of people like the MG transdermal oil, but I find it unbearable. It itches the bejesus out of me even though you only have to have it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing. Still, you might consider it if you don't have sensitive skin.

Transdermal MG is supposed to be more absorbable than oral forms.

liverock

I also had a b6 deficiency and I'm supplementing that. I think my b6 levels are going up( symptoms improving) but I still keep having low mag symptoms. Are there other cofactors to get magnesium into the cells?

Check my thread on high magnesium.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/high-magnesium-beware.34632/

zzz

Many people can't absorb enough magnesium from oral supplements to cure their magnesium deficiency. It sounds like at some point you could, but our bodies change with time, and it sounds like oral magnesium is no longer sufficient. Adding other supplements won't help this significantly. Your problem is not that you're not getting magnesium into the cells; it's that you're not getting it out of your gut and into your system.

The best way to get magnesium into your system is Magnesium by injection. However, this requires the cooperation of a doctor and a prescription, which may be difficult for you to get. The next best method is Magnesium by nebulizer. You need to get a nebulizer and pharmaceutical grade Epsom salts to do this.

If this is not possible where you live, you can either use magnesium chloride on your skin, or Epsom salts in your bath. You can find directions for these in Magnesium - treating a deficiency. These don't deliver as much magnesium as the nebulizer or the injection, but they should still be sufficient for getting rid of your deficiency symptoms.

As I have replied in a post later in that thread, I think that the tone and conclusions of that post are unwarranted, and many statements in that post presented as facts are simply not true. As @girlfromeurope has stated that she has a magnesium deficiency that is not being addressed by oral supplements, it seems only reasonable to use more intensive forms of supplementation, applied properly. As I mentioned in my post, this simply means supplementing magnesium with potassium and calcium, and making sure that sodium intake is sufficient. Taurine also helps the absorption of magnesium into the cells.

perchance dreamer

I just ordered magnesium chloride bath salts so I can compare them to the magnesium sulfate in epsom salts. Has anyone tried both forms of bath salts?

picante

I just ordered magnesium chloride bath salts so I can compare them to the magnesium sulfate in epsom salts. Has anyone tried both forms of bath salts?
Yes. I tolerate both with no side effects. I seem to like the magnesium chloride better, but I'm not sure why. Mine are from Ancient Minerals.