• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

$8 M for medical cannabis research; none for ME

Iquitos

By John Ingold and Tom McGhee, The Denver Post
Colorado’s Board of Health on Wednesday approved up to $8 million in grants to pay for eight studies on medical marijuana, the largest-ever state-funded effort to study the medical efficacy of cannabis.
The studies will look at whether marijuana can be used to treat childhood epilepsy, post-traumatic stress disorder, Parkinson’s disease, inflammatory bowel disease, pediatric brain tumors and spine pain
. The results of the studies will provide some of the best — and most respected — evidence to date on whether marijuana is a useful medicine.
“This is new and uncharted territory,” Dr. Larry Wolk, executive director of the Colorado health department, said prior to the board’s unanimous vote to approve the pot research funding.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/12/...t-research-grants-paying-eight-studies/25534/

---------------------

Attention Researchers: Won't somebody design and execute a study of cannabis treatment for ME? There's about $1 M that has not been allocated yet.

BTW, cannabis has already been shown to be a "useful medicine." The research in Israel and Spain has already been done on tissue cultures and mice. It needs to be taken to the level of human treatment. NOW!

Dr. Manuel Guzman of Spain has a lot of research out there: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dr+manuel+guzman
These youtube videos are in English, Spanish and other languages.

I am conducting my own experiment on one person: me. I haven't mentioned some of the benefits I've derived from using medical cannabis that I grow myself. I've told this forum how it helps so much with pain and restful sleep, and apparently with the inflammation (?) that causes my hip joint/groin pain, a dragging foot/leg and painful walking. Topical application has made skin lesions fall off, leaving only the dark spot where it had been.

What I haven't mentioned is that it has cleared a lot of my brain fog and has increased my stamina. It has also increased the range of motion that had all but disappeared in my joints, especially the hip/groin joints. It has made PEM a lot less, and "pay back" after exertion a lot less energy-expensive and shorter.

I tincture what I grow, which is a couple of varieties that have about equal THC and CBD, at approximately 7% each.

In one of the Dr. Guzman videos, he says something interesting to those of us reading up on medical cannabis. He says that the human body, which has endocannabinoid receptors for at least 30-some cannabinoids, doesn't have one for CBD. He says that means that CBD is not an endocannabinoid. This is the compound that stops Dravet's syndrome, an often fatal pediatric epilepsy, or lessens the number of seizures the child has.

Kenshin

Great post, its interesting to hear that CBD is not an endocannabinoid.

For most medical conditions a combination of THC, CBD, other cannabinoids, terpenes and phytocompounds has been shown to have the most beneficial effect.
This synergistic entourage of phytocompounds is found in the whole herb, hashish, tinctures and other
full spectrum extracts.

Particular diseases do show better results with higher amounts of certain compounds, for example epilepsy patients and those with parkinsons often find more relief with high THC varieties, whereas patients with fibromyalgia and muscle spasms seem to prefer high CBD to help their condition.

Cannabis has been used as a medicine for thousands of years and has a rich history of human use,
only when it was outlawed in the 1930's did it become stigmatized in the mainstream.
Only recently is its healing potential being rediscovered.

"Nearly all medicines have toxic, potentially lethal effects. But marijuana is not such a substance. There is no record in the extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented cannabis-induced fatality...Simply stated, researchers have been unable to give animals enough marijuana to induce death...In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity...In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we commonly consume...Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man." - DEA Administrative Law Judge, FL Young, 1988

Iquitos

I don't know if Dr. Guzman holds the opinion that CBD is not a cannabinoid today. I don't know when he said that and whether later statements might (or might not) contradict that. But, yes, it's interesting he would say that at all.

cannabinoids-pie-chart6.png

Any of the cannabinoids in this chart that end in "a", such as THCa, have not been converted by aging and/or heat to the psychoactive form(s). THCa is a precursor of THC. This is where the appeal for consuming the herb raw or juiced is coming from. Proponents of that say that a patient may consume a lot more of the healing cannabinoids without experiencing ANY psychoactive effects and that THCa has many medicinal applications, but so does the activated form, THC.

If I remember right, Dr. Guzman said that in this video, about "Bud Buddies: Project Storm", an organization in UK that supplies patients with medical cannabis despite it being illegal. I couldn't understand the British English in a lot of this video but Dr. Guzman's English is excellent. It's about research into whether cannabis can effectively treat cancer. From 2013.