• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Just asking for a little help to get started

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@optimist I am doing my second round at attempting methylation. the second time is working better & smoother. Here are the main tips I learned:

• Get a DNA test to make sure you have methylation defects. Don't guess. If you are afflicted, then - in gradual, slow stages:

• Start a low dose of sublingual methyl B12 and see if you can handle it.

• Add a LOW DOSE B-vitamin complex - I use and recommend Yasko's All-in-One via Holistic Health. I take only one tablet. Too high a dose of B1, B2, B3s caused serious overstimulation last time.

• Add some LOW DOSE methylfolate - no more than 50 or 100mcg. Increase slowly & cautiously.

• Make sure you have electrolyte and mineral support - particularly potassium. I aim for about 400 - 500mg potassium per day, minimum. More if craving it. You can get this in a regular serving of coconut water or Emergen-c ElectroMix or Dr. Lynch's Optimal Electrolyte. Eectrolytes are very important for success and not having unpleasant side effects. Magnesium is good too.

• If you get 'wired' or tense from too much methylfolate, take small bits (50mg - 100mg) of Niacin until you come down.

Rich's SMP protocol is more gentle and borders on too weak for me. Fredd's protocol is much stronger and better suited for very sick / very B12 deficient people. I am somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:

optimist

I mean like people in general. I have know way of knowing exactly how you will respond. Sorry for being less clear, but it sounds so stilted when I say "one" meaning people in general.

This is my take on it, but I think saying "one" is very common and well understood :) I was quite positive that was what you meant :) But I was smiling condering the opposite :)

@optimist be sure to research side effects of the supplements, also be sure to start low, really low.

I'll really try - I don't want to hurt myself...

Last edited:

optimist

I've been successfully taking a B-complex since Sunday, and I have become gradually more and more tired... Is this to be expected? Today I am very sleepy.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I always got energy from B vitamins, sometimes too much energy.. .so I'm not sure what's happening.

Gondwanaland

I've been successfully taking a B-complex since Sunday, and I have become gradually more and more tired... Is this to be expected? Today I am very sleepy.
I've taken a B complex successfully for 5 months (no B9 or B12). NOw I am unable to take it anymore for about 3 months. Get sleepy. My explanation: low thyroid :confused:

optimist

How do the MB9&12-pills go along with light? I heard that the liquid form is ruined by it. I am chopping the tablets up into smaller pieces, will that make a difference?