• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTHFR COMT and Anxiety/Depression... need help

Hi, I'm Mike 20 years old and have been suffering from anxiety and depression that came out of NOWHERE one day and has plagued me ever since. i honestly at this point dont care if i have to take psych drugs to get relief at this point but i wanna make sure i get everything right with my methylation. i am compound heterozygous MTHFR C667T/ A1298C and heterozygous COMT VAL158MET. can someone please give me some sort of supplement regimen that treats these because im sick of feeling like this. i also came up as poor metabolizer for CYP2D6 so i know i have to watch if i take those drugs because ill have an increase risk of side effects. also i want to know is methylation something that has to be fixed before you go on antidepressants to ensure their efficency, and is there a possibility that if i fix this methylation problem i could feel better without drugs? honestly i was the most normal, outgoing, hilarious, fearless human around and was just so normal, and all i want to do is feel like a normal human being. i know that this experience has caused me to change and ill never feel exactly how i felt but that doesnt mean i cant feel normal and happy. so if anyone can help me out here it would be SO APPRECIATED... some supplements i should take, how much methylfolate is usually sufficent for someone with my mutations and stuff like that. also about if i have to fix this before the drugs can be successful thats a big worry of mine also. from what ive read i have increased dopamine and decreased serotonin and i know antipsychotics fix that but its not my desire in life to take antipsychotics for the rest of my life but if i had to i wouldnt care. SOMEONE HELP ME lol.... thanks guys

Hey Mike,
Sounds like you are on the right track with methylfolate. As far as dosage, I personally take 800 mcg per day. However I also supplement the other B's like B12 methylcobalamin, riboflavin and pyridoxal-5-phosphate. My routine also includes plenty of Vitamin D3, at least 10,000 IU per day, which is quite a bit more than the RDA, but I believe the RDA is far too low. Magnesium and Selenium are another couple of great supplements that can improve the methylation cycle. I also take an Omega-3 fish oil supplement everyday, which is supposed to yield brain health benefits which can help fight off depression.
This is just my supplement routine, it has been working for me. When I miss a day of supplements I really can notice the difference.
Hope this helps.

Gondwanaland

Hi @mikeramirez25
Sometime ago I read a recommendation by someone here (perhaps it was Freddd), suggesting to first address any mineral deficency, which can get far worse once methylation supplements are on board. At that point I was already having trouble in finding a form of magnesium I could tolerate, so I just skipped it. Biggest mistake of my entire life. I think this is the reason why I landed on SSRI's.

So, my recommendation to you is start mineral supplementation, one at a time, at low doses, increasing slowly until you feel you are taking enough of them. I think magnesium is the most important one to find a tolerable form, because you must feel the difference when you are taking the right one.

Read more about magnesium here:
http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html

Also look up the member caledonia and download the documents she has linked in her signature - lots of useful advice there.

awesome, thanks for the replies guys...... i read that with COMT VAL158MET its hard to tolerate methyl donors and i feel worse when i take methylfolate even small doses so i ordered folinic acid and adesonyl b12 instead because thats supposedly easier on the body than the methylfolate and methyl b12

caledonia

Hi @mikeramirez25 I basically just popping so you can see my signature links. The first four outline a "Yasko lite" program which is what I'm doing. But there's plenty of info there no matter whose methylation plan you want to try.

For COMT, hydroxycobalamin is suggested.

I think it's possible to fix your anxiety/depression without drugs. I'm off all my supplements for anxiety and am also tapering off Zoloft. Long story, but it's going to take me probably another couple years to taper off safely (this is due to the drug, not any remaining anxiety).

You also need to figure out if there are other factors in your anxiety/depression, such as toxic metals (lead, mercury), viruses, bacteria, poor gut function, thyroid, adrenals, etc. You may need to treat those separately in addition to doing methylation supplements.

Ditto on getting the electrolytes and minerals going first. If you're ok physically, you may not have the great need for potassium that ME patients have.

Check out this article http://metabolichealing.com/mental-illness-or-methylation-mutation/

Hi @mikeramirez25 I basically just popping so you can see my signature links. The first four outline a "Yasko lite" program which is what I'm doing. But there's plenty of info there no matter whose methylation plan you want to try.

I think it's possible to fix your anxiety/depression without drugs. I'm off all my supplements for anxiety and am also tapering off Zoloft. Long story, but it's going to take me probably another couple years to taper off safely (this is due to the drug, not any remaining anxiety).

You also need to figure out if there are other factors in your anxiety/depression, such as toxic metals (lead, mercury), viruses, bacteria, poor gut function, thyroid, adrenals, etc. You may need to treat those separately in addition to doing methylation supplements.

Ditto on getting the electrolytes and minerals going first. If you're ok physically, you may not have the great need for potassium that ME patients have.

Check out this article http://metabolichealing.com/mental-illness-or-methylation-mutation/
should i cancel the order for the adesonyl b12 and get hydroxyb12 instead then or is adesonyl ok? also i have got tested for everything above that you mentioned so im all clear there

also, you mention you take zoloft. if i had too, can i take drugs temporarily or do these mutations effect how antidepressants work thats another thing i dont know about

the only thing i ever found off in my blood or other testing is high alkaline phosphotase (but i have 3 broken bones that i never healed) a little low HDL cholesterol, and it says candida antibodies IGm range is 0-9 and mine is 14 but its always been like that