• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inclined Bed Therapy

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
What a night. Ugghh.

At 4:58, after struggling with burning feet, chest pain, pounding head, etc, I finally got out of bed and removed the elevator from under my mattress - which left me crawling on the floor, dizzy and vomiting from the exertion. Never did get my mattress back on my bed. (insert complaints about this damn disease)

@manna you were right. 4 1/4 inches was WAY too much. What is a conservative starting point?

So I'm back to square one. My headboard weighs a ton - too heavy to put lifts under. Looks like I'll have to go @Sasha 's route and order something from a local fabricator.

Is it really worth it? Is anyone really having success for anything other than reflux?

Ooh, the brave guinea pig seems to have payed mightily for her venture--so sorry! :(

I forget, had you been using anything like pillows to raises your upper body before this experiment?

I've been using folded blankets and flat pillows to try to build up an incline but of course this isn't very stable. It does seem to be a better position for heart functioning though.

Sushi

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I read that inclining your upper body only doesn't help with the OI effect - I don't know about reflux etc.

SDSue

Southeast
@Sushi I had rigged about 1 1/2 inch rise using graduated thicknesses of blankets under my mattress. Like you said, not so stable, but it was the best I had.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to bundle this monstrosity back into a box for return. Since I don't have a steamroller, I'm having issues. lol

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Sushi I had rigged about 1 1/2 inch rise using graduated thicknesses of blankets under my mattress. Like you said, not so stable, but it was the best I had.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to bundle this monstrosity back into a box for return. Since I don't have a steamroller, I'm having issues. lol

Wanna chat about it?

Sushi

Keela Too

Sally Burch
@SDSue so sorry to hear what a rotten experience you had with this idea.

So my report: Hubby added some blocks under top end of our bed last night. And I'm happy to say that my bladder behaved much better than usual. A full 9 1/2 hours without having to traipse to the loo. Yay!!

I think the blocks were probably about 3 inches high. Slightly strange at first, but neither of us had bad effects.

I suspect his snoring was slightly less, but that could just be, that my night was not interrupted by trips to the bathroom, so I was less aware. ;)

manna

Andrew Fletcher reports that less or no snoring is common. I've read a few posts too where men say their wives report that affect. One fella said he still snores a little, so he's told, if he eats a heavy meal in the evening. I started at 3 inches actually, not 2.5 as I said earlier.

wallace

yes but do we know which way up the Ancient egyptians were??????!!!!!!

For the last month I have been sleeping inverted. David wolfe in his book Longevity Now always sleeps this way and reports amazing health benefits.

Hi All,
I tried IBT and it is very powerful! Too much detox at over 5 inches!
I lowered it and it seems to be fine now.

What have people experienced benefit wise?

GracieJ

Welcome to the forums, @nial

I posted on this thread when it first started, then never got back.

I started with risers just at the top, about 6". Way too much. Then I had three pieces of wood, two 3/4" and one 2x6, about 3" total. Still too much, oddly so, it seemed. Just one 3/4" added did not seem enough. Princess and the pea.

My bed stays elevated at the head by 1.5". Any more overnight is too much. It definitely helps with breathing and digestion. I sleep better overall. Right now all I use is the 2x6 scrap from the lumber yard. I may add one 3/4" back and see how that is again.

This was a good solution for me. Maybe in my older years I will own a hospital bed like elderly friends of mine, but just can't see going there yet. Being a bed potato half my life is enough as it is!

Last edited: