• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Epinephrine/Adrenaline hypersensitivity: do we have papers showing this?

Do you have epinephrine sensitivity? (And have ME)

• Yes, i have had relapses of my ME (days, weeks) from lidocaine/epinephrine injection at the dentist

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Yes, i get cutaneous/throat swelling type of reaction

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No, I am not sensitive, i get the regular kind of freezing at the dentist without problem

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • i don't know, I haven't needed dental procedures in a long time

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Kati

Patient in training
We have discussed epinephrine hypersensitivity in the past. I am looking for publications in this regards, does anyone know if our researchers have published in this field?

I have also added a poll question to see how big of a problem it is for us as a patient group.

Thx

Kati

Patient in training
Bumping this up, anybody with epinephrine sensitivity (or not) please answer the poll.

OverTheHills

Might get more answers if you
add poll to the tile
/adrenaline in the title for UK/NZ readers
and mention dental injections.

Just some thoughts
OTH
PS I have voted. And I know nothing (Jon Snow) about research. Happy polling.

Kati

Patient in training
Might get more answers if you
add poll to the tile
/adrenaline in the title for UK/NZ readers
and mention dental injections.

Just some thoughts
OTH
PS I have voted. And I know nothing (Jon Snow) about research. Happy polling.
Thank you!

Gingergrrl

@Kati, My answer doesn't really fit your choices b/c I had a severe reaction to epinephrine at the dentist many, many years before I ever had ME/CFS. I was in perfect health but got really bad tachycardia from a shot of novocaine with epinephrine at the dentist which affected me for days.

But it did not trigger a relapse of ME b/c I did not yet have ME at that time. I no longer have that same dentist but told my current dentist that I cannot use epi for any reason and this is documented in my chart. So, how should I vote in your poll to not mess up the results?

Kati

Patient in training
@Gingergrrl very interesting. The plot thickens. i think you would fit best in the first category in my opinion. i can't change the poll answers now.

i am planning to share answers with my ME physician

daisybell

Sorry I can't answer your poll.....
I have lots of problems with the injections...even without the adrenaline. I need much more than most people to numb everything, and then repeated injections to keep the pain away! I HATE going to the dentist!
I can't tolerate even my teeth being cleaned without injections as my teeth are so sensitive.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl very interesting. The plot thickens. i think you would fit best in the first category in my opinion. i can't change the poll answers now.

i am planning to share answers with my ME physician

@Kati Thanks and I voted in that category after you clarified it was okay. Maybe we should just tell all future dentists and doctors that we are allergic to epi so no one gives it by mistake?

Kati

Patient in training
Hi @Gingergrrl telling dentist you are allergic to epinephrine is going to give them a chuckle because we already have adrenaline in our bodies so we can't be allergic. A lidocaine allergy is a different thing, apparently people can be allergic to the preservative and changing brands can help.

Gingergrrl

Hi @Gingergrrl telling dentist you are allergic to epinephrine is going to give them a chuckle because we already have adrenaline in our bodies so we can't be allergic. A lidocaine allergy is a different thing, apparently people can be allergic to the preservative and changing brands can help.

I guess I did not realize that! After my fluid overload incident from the saline IV, the initial nurse in the ER thought I was having an allergic reaction and was going to give me more saline with epinephrine. Even in my confusion I knew this was a horrible idea (my HR was already in the 140's) so I told her I was allergic to epinephrine and she wrote it in my chart without questioning it.

So when I saw your thread, it made me think I should just tell the dentist that I am allergic to it, too! I guess the better way to phrase it with the dentist is that I am "hypersensitive" to it and it caused me tachycardia many years ago? Right now I am not going to the dentist and this is not an issue but curious for the future.

Countrygirl

@Kati, My answer doesn't really fit your choices b/c I had a severe reaction to epinephrine at the dentist many, many years before I ever had ME/CFS. I was in perfect health but got really bad tachycardia from a shot of novocaine with epinephrine at the dentist which affected me for days.

But it did not trigger a relapse of ME b/c I did not yet have ME at that time. I no longer have that same dentist but told my current dentist that I cannot use epi for any reason and this is documented in my chart. So, how should I vote in your poll to not mess up the results?

I couldn't answer the poll either as none of the choices describe my experiences which resemble Gingergirl's after I developed ME. it wasn't a problem before. I have an adrenaline-free anaesthetic now.

My aunt who does not have ME experiences the same problem, so genetics must be involved as well.

After developing ME, I found I can no longer have hydrotherapy as I react in a similar manner as the above to chlorine in the water, but more severely, as does my aunt.

alex3619

I haven't answered the poll as my reaction is slightly different. After thinking about it what I get is an OI relapse, not an ME relapse. My neurally mediated hypotension gets amplified, which usually lasts most of a day. From adrenaline from gaming I get muscle pain and stiffness. Again, not a full ME response. I do however have a dangerous form of NMH when it gets too strong as my heart can stop. Try telling most doctors that relatively low doses adrenaline can stop the heart. Many cardiologists understand it, I wonder how many doctors do.

xchocoholic

I can't answer because I don't know what dentists are using on me. I always tell them my health issues and assume they know what to do. They've always acknowledged my concerns.

So far I haven't had a bad reaction to numbing agents or anesthesia. The only problem is that it takes me about 3 days to clear it from my body. Tc .. x

Last edited:

Helen

My aunt who does not have ME experiences the same problem, so genetics must be involved as well.

COMT polymorphims cause a lack of the enzyme that breakes down adrenaline. COMT polymorphisms are also pretty common in a healthy population (maybe someone will chim in with the numbers) .

Mental activity as @alex3619 describes might be as bad as other causes of high adrenaline. The only antidote to adrenaline that I have read about is physical activity :(.