• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could Your Fibromyalgia Really Be Hyperparathyroidism?

liverock

The parathyroid glands control blood calcium levels within very fine limits. When one or more go wrong the calcium levels rise,causing hyperparathyroidism.(HPH).

FM and HPH have some symptoms in common and and can be a cause of misdiagnosis if a high calcium level is not noted on the initial FM blood test, and an HPH test is not carried out subsequent to a high calcium test level being found

A recent study found that a percentage of FM people should really have been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism (PHP) and others who had been diagnosed with just FM, had both FM and HPT.

The call appears to be going out now that all diagnosed with FM should be checked for PHP.
Treatment by a 20 minute outpatient operation appeared to help both groups.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/824429
BOSTON – For some patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia, parathyroidectomy may be the cure.
In a new study, nearly all patients with primary hyperparathyroidism (PHP) who had a preexisting diagnosis of fibromyalgia (FM) experienced improvement in their FM symptoms following parathyroid surgery, and 1 in 5 were able to drop all of their FM-related medications.
The finding suggests that a subset of patients diagnosed with FM actually have unrecognized PHP, which can be cured with surgery. The implication is that screening for the endocrine condition should be included as part of the FM workup, which it currently is not, Kelly L. McCoy, MD, assistant professor of surgery at the University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, said here at the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons (AAES) 2013 Annual Meeting.
"Look for PHP before diagnosing FM. Even if they really do have FM, they may appreciate significant symptom relief and medication decrease after successful surgery," Dr. McCoy told Medscape Medical News.

I dont think the sentiment below will amount to much in action until individuals with FM put pressure on their doctors to perform the PTH test.if a blood test shows they have a high calcium level. :bang-head:

Anybody with FM should ask for a calcium level check from their doctor and if its above 10 (2.5 in European tests) then a PTH panel test. Take a copy of the MEDSCAPE article on http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/824429 to show if he is reluctant. A lot of doctors appear to be not up to date with the latest research.

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...lgia-hyperparathyroidism-treatable-condition/
“The impact of this paper is that it will be exceptionally important to reach out to primary-care doctors, to rheumatologists, and to fibromyalgia centers to present this information and experience and encourage them to do a screening. It’s not widely appreciated.” Dr. Mira Milas

Last edited:

Sea

I don't understand how this could be missed in a large percentage of people. The initial screening tests that most doctors would do when looking for a reason for illness would include a complete metabolic panel. Calcium levels are included in this test and my understanding is that Calcium levels are raised in Hyperparathyroidism. A specific test for Hyperparathyroidism would only be sought if Calcium levels came back high.

Soundthealarm21

My calcium has come back high in 2 separate tests, but when I checked the parathyroid hormone it actually showed that I was HYPOparathyroid which I found very strange and no one has been able to give me an answer about.

liverock

I don't understand how this could be missed in a large percentage of people. The initial screening tests that most doctors would do when looking for a reason for illness would include a complete metabolic panel. Calcium levels are included in this test and my understanding is that Calcium levels are raised in Hyperparathyroidism. A specific test for Hyperparathyroidism would only be sought if Calcium levels came back high.

Im afraid it is true that doctors do not always refer patients for endo teatments when the calcium level exceeds 10 (or 2.5 in European lab tests)as they should, as quite a lot of patients dont have what they consider to be adequate symptoms such as kidney stones.

It can also be the old way of waiting to see if the level will come down (it never does) or they just dont know enough about the disease to understand how dangerous a high level can be,even slightly high.

http://thefibrodoctor.com/what-is-hyperparathyroidism/

One study showed that doctors were missing referring 62% of patients with high calcium for further treatment.

http://pubmedcentralcanada.ca/pmcc/articles/PMC3363079

Last edited:

liverock

My calcium has come back high in 2 separate tests, but when I checked the parathyroid hormone it actually showed that I was HYPOparathyroid which I found very strange and no one has been able to give me an answer about.

If you have high calcium the parathyroids are supposed to be lower if they are .
healthy. This is a normal function of healthy parathyroids.

Check your vitamin D levels Sounds like they could be high.

SaraM

I have a positive sestamibi scan, a positive ultrasound that says there is something there in my neck, both on the left side but in different spots. PTH is 73 and out of range, calcium is 10.2 and now 9.8 wit the same PTH number. I was sent to a surgeon, she scheduled an appointment for the surgery, then she cancelled. I have all of Hyper Parathyroidism symptoms except vomiting. This has been going on for 4 years, but pain started before that and got worse gradually. Doctors still want to wait. My Endo is a Stanford doctor but young and not a good problem solver. She said I might have calcium problem which might be genetic. When I asked her if I get pain and fatigue with this genetic problem she said no. I do not know why she even talked about the genetic disorder. I am sorry if I can not answer to your posts in case there is any .

barbc56

My PCP will test for hyperparathyroidism if your calcium level is in the upper nines. My calcium level is normal. It's been checked several times as I am prone to kidney stones.

Barb

Navid

What if you have high PTH=91, Calcium 8.8 and less than 4 vit D? could this be parathyroid or just bad vit D causing PTH to increase in an attempt to create more D and calcium? Doc is ust treating for low D at this point.

Sorry to hijack thread. thanks for any input.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Does anyone know if a calcium test is done as part of a regular physical? It seems like it would be for women. I don't really trust a doctor to run a test like that otherwise. I am trying to figure out if I have ever had a calcium test.