• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hot red rash

This started suddenly about half an hour ago, with odd localized heat on my upper chest just under my neck, and now I have red hot rashes on the outer edges of both elbows and the underside of one forearm but not the other.

The rashes both "feel" hot, and are hot to the touch. They aren't raised at all, and don't really hurt or itch at all. Any thoughts?

I'm on a couple antibiotics but have taken them for 5 weeks without any problems like this. Also, the most recent dose was about 3 hours prior to the rash starting. I'm taking my usual supplements (NAC, fish oil, Yohimbe, B-complex, low dose C, Magnesium) and the food I ate was a combination of noodles that I made two days ago, and left-over take out ribs, both things which I have eating the past two days in a row.

In the 5 minutes spent writing this, the rash has spread to the top of my left forearm. It looks a bit streaky in places, versus clumpy.

Heart rate is quite normal for me - 85 while seated. Temp is 36.5, which is a bit above my usual 35.0, but typical of my Herxheimer reaction to the antibiotics over the past months, especially for this time of day.

optimist

I got rashes (for the first time in my life?) a couple of months ago, when I bought a new shower soap. It had Tea tree oil in it... Could it be a soap or a cream? I bought a toothpaste with tea tree oil at the same time and it gave me blisters in my gums too...

Thinktank

...and the food I ate was a combination of noodles that I made two days ago, and left-over take out ribs, both things which I have eating the past two days in a row.
Left-overs and especially left-over meat is high in histamine. Could have triggered a histamine reaction.
Is it just the rash or are you also feeling anxious / panicky?

I got rashes (for the first time in my life?) a couple of months ago, when I bought a new shower soap. It had Tea tree oil in it... Could it be a soap or a cream? I bought a toothpaste with tea tree oil at the same time and it gave me blisters in my gums too...
It's been days since a had a shower, and I'm not using any new products.

Left-overs and especially left-over meat is high in histamine. Could have triggered a histamine reaction.
Is it just the rash or are you also feeling anxious / panicky?
Not panicky at all ... though a bit concerned to have a weird rash suddenly for no obvious reason! Also, it sounds like histamine rashes should be itchy. Mine's flat and hot and doesn't itch at all.

Maybe parvovirus B19? The "slapped cheek syndrome" looks pretty similar, and is also hot, flat, and non-itchy. I've also had a runny nose the past few days (usually it's just a bit stuffy, and not runny at all. My usually Herxheimer fever also lasted two days in a row recently, whereas usually it's just a few hours per day.

xchocoholic

You could take Benadryl and see if it clears. I'm sure you know that rashes, esp sudden onset, can be a dangerous allergic reaction. You don't have to feel panicky to be having a severe reaction.

Imho if it gets any worse go to the ER or at least make sure someone is watching you.

Tc .. x

Seven7

Seven
My red rash a bit came from me when I finally started fighting HH6v (roseola). Google image different rashes based on your current active viruses / bacteria and see if the images match to what you see. If none does might be a new thing and you need to be seen. Make sure to take pictures so when you finally go to the doctor you can show them.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Glad this is settling down, just to say that an allergic reaction to a medication, including antibiotics can come on even after some time (weeks, or months) of taking it - so do be careful.

Glad this is settling down, just to say that an allergic reaction to a medication, including antibiotics can come on even after some time (weeks, or months) of taking it - so do be careful.
If it happens again tomorrow around the same time, then I'll definitely call or email KDM's clinic to notify him and ask for advice on how to proceed.

xchocoholic

Good to hear it calmed down. You may need more meds sooner than the manufacturer recommends. When I was dealing with this I was told to take 1 adult dose (2 tablets or capsules) of Benadryl then 1 more tablet after 20 - 30 minutes if it returned or I felt worse.

I can't remember how much or how often to take it after the initial dosage. And my instructions were specifically for Benadryl.

Fwiw, I just wanted to let you know that this may not be over yet. You may want to take a cool shower in case you have to go to the drs. Hot or warm showers usually make it worse. Any heat will bring it out.

The shower will also remove any contact allergens you may have on you. Just don't use a soap with fragrance. Been there done that. Needed second shower. Lol.

Tc .. x

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

If it happens again tomorrow around the same time, then I'll definitely call or email KDM's clinic to notify him and ask for advice on how to proceed.

@Valentijn I would definitely contact KDM's clinic if it happens again. How are you feeling now, later in the day (or next day- not sure of your time zone?!)

@Valentijn I would definitely contact KDM's clinic if it happens again. How are you feeling now, later in the day (or next day- not sure of your time zone?!)
Same as usual ... I didn't feel odd while it was happening, aside from the sensation that patches of skin were emitting intense heat :p

Kati

Patient in training
@Valentijn the biggest suspicion, in my opinion from what you said would be the antibiotics, even if you have been on them for a while. You can develop allergies to them with time.

That said everyone is different and it certainly would be best to discuss things with your physicians, particularily if your rash reoccurs, persists or bothers you due to pain or anything else.

Last edited: