• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need Help With HDRI Methylation Panel!

Hi

I've just received the results of my HDRI methylation panel... they seem to indicate that I do have an issue with methylation but I would really appreciate some of your thoughts on the specifics! Anything would help.... I am considering starting Freddd's protocol so please let me know if you agree with doing this.

Anyway results were

S-adenosylmethionine 211 Low
S-adenosylhomocysteine 53.1 High

FOLIC ACID DERIVATIVES:

5-CH3-THF 7.6 L
10-formyl-thf 1.3 L
5-formyl-thf 1.00 L
THF 0.54 L
FOLIC ACID 9.7 N
Folinic ACID 8.0 L
Active Folate (RBC) 337 L

Adenosine 24.3 H

From HDRI i also had my vitamins tested and vit C and free carnitine were both low, vitamin B6 was very high.

VItamin C 0.2 L
Free carnitine 6.8 L
VIT B6 (P-5-P) 149 H range (12-30)

Thanks so much everyone :)

halcyon

So I got my results from HDRI today and I realized my answer above probably wasn't very helpful. It was more of an explanation of each item rather than an interpretation of the results. I apologize for that.

Were you able to get anywhere with interpreting your results?

Last edited:

PeterPositive

Hi

I've just received the results of my HDRI methylation panel... they seem to indicate that I do have an issue with methylation but I would really appreciate some of your thoughts on the specifics! Anything would help.... I am considering starting Freddd's protocol so please let me know if you agree with doing this.

Anyway results were

S-adenosylmethionine 211 Low
S-adenosylhomocysteine 53.1 High

FOLIC ACID DERIVATIVES:

5-CH3-THF 7.6 L
10-formyl-thf 1.3 L
5-formyl-thf 1.00 L
THF 0.54 L
FOLIC ACID 9.7 N
Folinic ACID 8.0 L
Active Folate (RBC) 337 L

Adenosine 24.3 H

From HDRI i also had my vitamins tested and vit C and free carnitine were both low, vitamin B6 was very high.

VItamin C 0.2 L
Free carnitine 6.8 L
VIT B6 (P-5-P) 149 H range (12-30)

Thanks so much everyone :)
I am not an expert, I have done this test too. It came back with a basic interpretation and it also had values for reduced glutathione (GSH) and oxidized glutathione (GSSG). Don't you have those?

From your results I'd expect high GSSG and low GSH.

In general this is a picture of insufficient methylation. It seems your intake of folate is not enough: methyl-folate is low, folinic is low and THF is low.

In these cases a basic methylation protocol will likely help. If you're already following one you should probably adjust the dosages, incrementing both folate, B12, maybe TMG and the other necessary co-factors.

It should also be said that the methylation panel should be evaluated in the grander picture of your health history, current symptoms etc... Just watching at a specific lab may be a too narrow window on your issues.

Are you followed by a doctor that understands methylation?

Cheers

So I got my results from HDRI today and I realized my answer above probably wasn't very helpful. It was more of an explanation of each item rather than an interpretation of the results. I apologize for that.

Were you able to get anywhere with interpreting your results?

Sorry! ive been out of it for a while. I went down a different route with my help. my doc but me on curcumin, whey and colostrum, but ive been getting nowhere. he also put me on 2,000mcg of thorne m-5thf. hope you found some help

halcyon

I've tried unprocessed whey to try to boost glutathione but didn't notice much from it.

I was also low on folate according to the panel. I tried 400mcg of methylfolate for a few days but seemed to develop increased anxiety from it. I've stopped it for a few days and will try again in case it was just a coincidence.