• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

adrenal extract

zzz0r

How safe is to supplement with adrenal extract when suffering with adrenal fatigue? is there a danger that the adrenal glands will get used to the supplement and stop producing any hormones if someone supplements too long?

Helen

The theory is that you should always dose only as to substitute for the hormones that for any reason can´t be produced. You are recommended to learn about signs and symptoms being low or high for any hormone that you replace.

Experts have also recommended having a saliva cortisol test with ongoing supplementation to check the dosing.

Last edited:

ahmo

@zzz0r I had excellent results w/ adrenal glandulars. In the past I'd used Chinese licorice effectively for about a year, until it no longer helped me. I tried low dose cortef, but it was too much. Adrenal glandulars helped me immensely for 2 years. Seemed to supply what I needed directly, w/o stressing my system. Once my adrenals cleared in detox, I was able to stop it, now managing w/o any specific adrenal nutritional support.

drob31

Hi Ahmo,

What glandulars did you use, and how much? Also, how did you do an adrenal detox?

Your mutations are the same as mine, and I have pyroluria (elevated).

Thanks

ahmo

@drob31 I also have pyroluria, self-dx by the online questionnaire, and self-treated: how simple, really!!!

I used Enzymatic Therapies, initially 1 AM/PM, eventually 1 PM only. I used coffee enemas for detox. I started due to bloating and constipation, then recommitted to extending the regimen after watching Klinghardt's vid and emphasis on detox. Since, I've noticed that Dr Wilson (there are 2, not sure which) also endorses coffee enemas.

In May this year my detox really took off. It was very evident at a certain point that my adrenals were first, severely impacted, then, cleared. After this phase I no longer self-tested + for adrenal glandular, as well as for a number of my other supps. And I experienced a dramatic shift in my temperament. My persistent irritability, agitation, low threshold for frustration were no longer dominating me, my tinnitus had evaporated. Now when I get any of these symptoms I know I need another CE.

I've posted my experiences here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/my-detox-story-coffee-enemas.1616/

http://www.sawilsons.com/library.htm Many sources of info re CE

http://www.mygutsy.com/the-ultimate-liver-detox-coffee-enemas/

http://www.sawilsons.com/liver.htm

A coffee enema, when done properly, causes the liver to produce more bile, opens the bile ducts and causes the bile to flow. In this process, a toxic liver can dump many of its toxins into the bile and get rid of them in just a few minutes. This often gives great relief to all parts of the body, and often makes the difference between lying down feeling miserable and feeling good and being active. Coffee Enemas are also effective in relieving pain. Patients with cancer, for example, may achieve relief from pain even when drugs failed.

zzz0r

The problem with adrenal extract is that you do not know if by supplementing your adrenals get used to it and then when you withdraw it they will not produce the hormones by themself

ahmo

@zzz0r I think that might apply to most any thing we do for adrenals. As I mentioned, licorice worked for awhile, cortisone was not a good match for me. My experience was that glandular supported me greatly when I needed it, and there were no problems when I initially decreased, and then stopped it altogether.

whodathunkit

Muscle testing is useful for gauging what your body needs as far as adrenal extracts. I had to rotate through them. I don't self-test but go to a chiropractor who does it. Hopefully @ahmo will chime in to tell us where is the link she likes that explains self muscle testing so well. I'm interested and can't find it. :)

My top two faves are Adrenergize by Enzymatic Therapies and Adrenal (Dessicated) by Standard Process. Both very cheap and very effective.

Adster

I'd be a mess without adrenal cortex extract. Has been a lifesaver for me. I use Thorne brand at roughly 10mg. The dosage is really critical though - small changes make a big difference. I'd love to know exactly why it works..... Interestingly, when I took a mast cell stabiliser for a while, I found I no longer needed it.

ahmo

@Adster, that's really interesting. When I had a big adrenal clearing, my mast cell symptoms resolved. And my need for the glandular. Now when I have mast cell symptoms, I know I need to detox.

Adster

It seems hard to work these ones out - I wonder if maybe they can be circular "chicken/egg" situations, if that makes sense.

ahmo

Dr. Theoharides has many papers available at mastcellmaster.com. Your question makes me think that there can be adrenal issues w/o mast cell problems, but if there are mast cell issues, there will always be some adrenal involvement. Not certain.

Adster

I guess if you have mast cell issues, adrenals will be under constant stress to control the inflammation? Not sure, just speculating. I found on the mast cell stabiliser I could dramatically reduce my mfolate/mb12 without adverse effects too. Cheers for the Dr Theo tip :)

drob31

How do you know if you have mast cell issues? I'm trying to find what's taxing my adrenals.

Hi Ahmo and Adster
I am new here.My short back ground.
I was health and happy upto few years back. USed stupidly Saw Palmetto extract for 3-4 months and my health took a nose dive. I stopped SP about four years ago but my health is permanently destroyed. I have become kind of disable due to this.
I have
1-Cold body. I mean very very cold like ice. My hands and feet like ice.Also my body is numb. no feeling
2-Brain fog, memory issues.
3-Extreme fatigue
4-Joint pains.
5-Loss of hard tissues from my feet and hands. So walking and holding hard object is very painful
6-appetite loss.
7-Sleep issues.
8-Tooth decay and gum recession.
9-Frequent peeing.
10-blurry vision
11-No sex drive. I am infertile now. Zero sperm production.

Do you guys think this is due to my Adrenals malfunction? since my Saliva test low cortisol but my blood shows high cortisol.

ahmo

@sp2000 I see that SP seems to be used for prostate, other male hormonal issues. Could it be your health problems are related to the reason you began taking it, rather than as a result? Your many symptoms sound like something extreme is happening. Have you seen MDs? Checked your thyroid levels? Thyroid and adrenals have very close relationship, impact each other. Sorry to hear you're so unwell.

Stop The Thyroid Madness says do not use adrenal glandulars (extracts).

I think they are OK for a short time but more like a temporary boost that doesn't help them heal.

I read that you should take very little per day OR take them for only 5 days then a break for around 3 weeks. I have done that. I wouldn't take them more than that personally.