• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simmaron Scientist Awarded NIH Grant Probing Cause of Immune Holes in CFS/ME

Bob

Simmaron Scientist Awarded NIH Grant Probing Cause of Immune Holes in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Cort Johnson
August 31, 2014
http://simmaronresearch.com/2014/08...e-immune-holes-chronic-fatigue-syndromemecfs/

It's a very interesting article - Well worth a read.

Extracts:
Simmaron Research Foundation’s Scientific Director, Isabel Barao PhD, has been awarded the IDeA Clinical and Translational Research Pilot Grant (CTR-IN) from the National Institutes of Health to examine ways ME/CFS patients’ genetic heritage may contribute to immune dysfunction and their inability to fight off viruses. Dr. Peterson will select the patients, collect their blood and provide their clinical information.
This grant will help determine if altered FcRs (e.g. CD16) on natural killer (NK) cells have made it more difficult for ME/CFS patients to fight off viruses. NK cells are the cells our immune system uses to hold the invader at bay while cytotoxic T-cells and B-cells gear up to wipe out the invader.

Last edited:

Bob

@Jonathan Edwards , I wonder if you might find the above research proposal interesting. It's not exactly your field, but there seems to be a major overlap with your work. With my limited knowledge of immunology, it seems to me like a very interesting area of research.

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
When I was researching my Low NKs, Apparently there is a known herediteray Low NK symdrome. So for those of us with NK dysfunction (a known and acepted by ICD condition) what would be the diference between that and CFS?? Or is that just a subset of it.

If you read the NK deficiency syndrome is normal to have the viral reactivations. I am just confused about CFS vs NK cell deficiency syndrome.