• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS/ME needs to go viral.

Aileen

Okay getting a bit silly now, but this just popped into my head.
M= meteoric
E= explosive projectile vomiting

... Yeah, that's right Dr. X at the front table. Better be careful what you say, I've got you in my line of fire! :lol:

Leopardtail

Loads of good selections Daniel, keep the ideas coming!

@Graham , @Snow Leopard @Snowdrop @Aileen @WillowJ @Matthew Jones
@Kina @Sushi

We are trying to think of a Tshirt printable (i.e. simple) slogan with acronym ME.
Daniel suggested Exhaustion for the 'E' which I think is great...
Can anybody think of an 'M' that means everlasting / relentless ???

Or a better option altogether?
I like Aileen's word for this...
'Merciless Exhaustion' that covers one major half of the mess

Leopardtail

Okay getting a bit silly now, but this just popped into my head.
M= meteoric
E= explosive projectile vomiting

... Yeah, that's right Dr. X at the front table. Better be careful what you say, I've got you in my line of fire! :lol:
silly, but it made me laugh.....

snowathlete

I like Aileen's word for this...
'Merciless Exhaustion' that covers one major half of the mess

The addition of the word merciless does really highlight that this is not the same as 'exhaustion' that other people experience. It's relentless, goes on and on, implies the illness is mean and vicious. I think that's good.

I get that people don't want it to be all about fatigue, or exhaustion, but just because that's been twisted in a negative light doesn't mean we can't apply it in a positive, and get some benefit from that message. I have lots of symptoms, but is exhaustion one of them? Yes.

I quite like the idea of us all picking our own words though. It would help unite lots of people behind it and highlight that we are actually suffering from a whole lot if different stuff. Would help keep it interesting for anyone watching too. Not just the same slogan over and over.

Maybe we could achieve a united campaign by creating some kind of font or template that everyone could use, but they can pick what words they want to describe it. Maybe we have the disease name and a customisable tag line underneath? Something along those lines.

Leopardtail

The addition of the word merciless does really highlight that this is not the same as 'exhaustion' that other people experience. It's relentless, goes on and on, implies the illness is mean and vicious. I think that's good.

I get that people don't want it to be all about fatigue, or exhaustion, but just because that's been twisted in a negative light doesn't mean we can't apply it in a positive, and get some benefit from that message. I have lots of symptoms, but is exhaustion one of them? Yes.

I quite like the idea of us all picking our own words though. It would help unite lots of people behind it and highlight that we are actually suffering from a whole lot if different stuff. Would help keep it interesting for anyone watching too. Not just the same slogan over and over.

Maybe we could achieve a united campaign by creating some kind of font or template that everyone could use, but they can pick what words they want to describe it. Maybe we have the disease name and a customisable tag line underneath? Something along those lines.
My thinking in the short term is a simpler version of yours at most two or three headlines all with initials ME. We need to develop a strong simple brand that's intantly recognised. Perhaps adding taglines when the basic branding is burned pneumonia peoples brains.

I also thought of rebranding CFS as chronically failing stamina (or some better variant)

DanME

Why not a couple of different messages? Like one for exhaustion, one for pain, one for brain fog etc. I forgot, what the end point is. T-Shirts? Small Youtube Vids?

The best way is scroll through adjectives beginning wih M and nouns beginning with E, write everthing mildy possible down and play with the words, I guess.

Aileen

When need an M+E for unbearable pain.
Mega Excruciating ??
I definitely agree. "Excruciating" works for me.

Why not a couple of different messages? Like one for exhaustion, one for pain, one for brain fog etc. I forgot, what the end point is. T-Shirts? Small Youtube Vids?

The best way is scroll through adjectives beginning wih M and nouns beginning with E, write everthing mildy possible down and play with the words, I guess.
Do we really need to have one of the letters as a noun. Might it not work better if they are both adjectives? And the "different messages" angle could be a noun.

For example. M.E. is ...Merciless and Excruciating. (period)
(next line, the noun)
Pain, Nausea, Exhaustion, Thinking Difficulties etc.

snowathlete

I definitely agree. "Excruciating" works for me.

Do we really need to have one of the letters as a noun. Might it not work better if they are both adjectives? And the "different messages" angle could be a noun.

For example. M.E. is ...Merciless and Excruciating. (period)
(next line, the noun)
Pain, Nausea, Exhaustion, Thinking Difficulties etc.

that would give us many more options. i think it's a good idea.

Leopardtail

that would give us many more options. i think it's a good idea.
I suspect its too complex. Merciless Exhaustion was simple elegant and 'sticky'. Our pain message needs that same simplicity.

'Coke is it'. works because its simple. We will find something good if we keep the stew cooking and keep throwing ideas around.

Aileen

Hmm ... I think we need to keep the words themselves short as well. If a 10 year old won't get it, it's too complex.

Aileen

We are not required to use the letters M and E to come up with the words. It was natural to think of this first but the 'E' is presenting some challenges.

Maybe the slogan should be 'M.E. is such and such'. Like Leopardtail's example 'Coke is it'. It should be a positive message M.E. is something. You don't want to tell people what it isn't.

Leopardtail

We are not required to use the letters M and E to come up with the words. It was natural to think of this first but the 'E' is presenting some challenges.

Maybe the slogan should be 'M.E. is such and such'. Like Leopardtail's example 'Coke is it'. It should be a positive message M.E. is something. You don't want to tell people what it isn't.
True,

We have already found one for exhaustion, a less great one for stamina.

The advantage of the initials being ME is that we create a very strong bond between name and description. We make ourine brand for ME stronger than the weak science.

When people ask what ME is everybody know the description that matches the initials.

Netherless I take your point Aileen.

Graham

Senior Moment
How about an image of a classy, shining car, with ME painted on the door, and below, Mangled Engine. It gets across the fact that although many of us look fine, we're wrecks underneath. Of course, some of us may need images of veteran cars where much of the chrome and paint has been worn away over the years.

Aileen

the car is a great representation Graham! :thumbsup:

The only problem with the darned initials is that most people will see the word "me".

Leopardtail

the car is a great representation Graham! :thumbsup:

The only problem with the darned initials is that most people will see the word "me".
If we just spell it M.E. we can get around that. I have an idea how we can make it more visual - just need to work out how to describe it.

snowathlete

How about an image of a classy, shining car, with ME painted on the door, and below, Mangled Engine. It gets across the fact that although many of us look fine, we're wrecks underneath. Of course, some of us may need images of veteran cars where much of the chrome and paint has been worn away over the years.
I like this idea a lot. I know the idea is to show a new car with the message signifying that looks can be deceiving but many ME patients do look crap too. I know not everyone has a car but many do, maybe sufferers take a photo of their own car and the image could be easily uploaded above the message, or with the message layered on top. The text being consistent, same colour, font, etc. throughout.
My car has a bunch of dents in it and badly needs a wash.