• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can we talk diet?

Problem is that when I stop exercising I get really bad depression, exercising stops that from happening.

I think I'm more scared than anything, scared of the repercussions of not exercising and scared of over doing things and going back to square one.

Mij

Problem is that when I stop exercising I get really bad depression, exercising stops that from happening.

I think I'm more scared than anything, scared of the repercussions of not exercising and scared of over doing things and going back to square one.

Perhaps you can change the type/level of exercise that you do. Stay a lower HR threshold away from aerobic exercise and see how you feel the next 2-3days. It's all about finding the right balance. Walking or even deep stretching relieves low mood or depression.

Been feeling really good today, then at 13:23 it's just come crashing down, nausea, extreme fatigue etc arghhhhh

Sorry, had to rant to someone, and there's no one here who wants to know.

Strawberry

I've heard that gluten is a good thing to get rid of, bit I find it impossible to do.

A friend told me quinoa pasta is very good, as is quinoa bread. I have not tried it yet as I have been gluten free for so long now that I no longer crave pasta or bread. But I do intend to try it some day. Probably not the bread as I would never waste $$ on a loaf of bread that I might not like. Pasta my daughter would eat even if GF.

The only way I can cook dinner is with very VERY limited prep. And I sit on my bar stool to do it, as I can only stand a minute or two. Otherwise I would never cook. I also work full time and over do it just by doing that, so boring meals is my sacrifice for working FT.

Oops, forgot to say WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Goodness to M.E.

Hi 'Give Me Strength', I put this in another thread you started but now think it best here.

Am so sorry you are having a terrible time not only with this insidious dis-ease but also that you must hide it from the working world due to and ignorance and lack of empathy of how deliberating the symptoms can be!
If you have a supportive doctor, get a sick certificate with 'medical condition' for reason and for 5 days or how ever long you need.

Your work does not need to know what medical condition you have. I know this can be hard and overwhelming to do but the effort is worth the relief of having this in place to take care of yourself.

What may help if you are working from home or have some help is:

Make a strong chicken bone soup with lots of coloured vegetables. I use a pressure cooker to speed the process up and store in containers, some I freeze.

You can do this in steps, boil the chicken, leave and rest, drain the stock, rest, cut the vegetables in stages and rest, sometimes I do them while in bed with my feet and head up with a low night light. Rest in between stages but make about 5 litres to last you for several days. (Can do other such as pork or beef etc.)

I usually add some meat such as a chicken fillet or pork etc. for protein.

Add some gluten free pasta to thicken in the last 10 minutes

Eat this for a couple of days just for balanced nourishment and making meals simple.

Another option is to have protein shakes at times like this or if friends/family want to help, ask for soup or basic meals.

Rest is a very dark quiet room for a couple of days, no phone, TV etc.

After a couple of days you may be able to do 30 minutes work but make sure you rest for 2-4 hours in between and try and increase the 30 minutes after each rest period by 10 minutes. Let your body guide you.

Take a good multi vitamin/mineral, omega, etc. I'm not convinced heaps of supplements are of benefit and only take a few myself and can let you know if you want. I think sometimes we take heaps due to our desperation to feel better?

I can't take prescription drugs as they rattle my digestive system too much, nor alcohol.

I hope this helps even in a small way, take care and be your very own best friend and listen to the wisdom of that best friend!

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I agree with the others that said no one solution works for everyone (diet or anything else). Just listen to your gut (both ways, lol).

Really the only thing diet fixes for me is reduces some extra symptoms that come from intolerance. Oh and having some good oil from, say, nuts, helps me sleep a bit better (thanks to @alex3619 for pointing this out).

Lenny Jason says people can be reasonably high-functioning with this disease, but will have a significant reduction from before.

I could sort of exercise during a good remission (but I got dizzy and had to keep taking breaks sitting down--but I have dysautonomia as well), and during the first year I kept running (not as far as you, but I wasn't running that far to begin with), though I cut back on exercise in some other areas. But doing too much was one of the things that eventually made me worse, indefinitely.

Last edited:

xchocoholic

Um. Forget listening to your gut when looking for food intolerances. There's a condition known as silent celiac where damage occurs to the villi WITHOUT causing symptoms. I'm a celiac and I rarely / almost never get digestive symptoms from gluten cross contamination. I get neuro symptoms like ataxia.

If you Google food intolerances or LEAP food intolerances you'll find a list of possible symptoms. If you go to the LEAP site you'll find a tab at the top for forms.

There are multiple studies linking food intolerances and diseases. Most info is found on integrative medicine websites.

Tc .. x

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Um. Forget listening to your gut when looking for food intolerances. There's a condition known as silent celiac where damage occurs to the villi WITHOUT causing symptoms. I'm a celiac and I rarely / almost never get digestive symptoms from gluten cross contamination. I get neuro symptoms like ataxia.

That's good to know! I was tested for celiac and don't have it. But I didn't know it could be without obvious [i.e. gut-type] symptoms.

Good also to point out that food intolerance of any type can cause non-gut symptoms. I get tinnitus and other things, in addition to actual GI problems.

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
Here's my recommendations.

1) Eat healthy. Fruits, veggies, meats or substitutes, dairy, grains. Aim for nutricious.
2) Eat what agrees with your system. Not everyone has allergies.
3) Eat the food you like. It's ok to have sweets or salty foods if you crave them.
4) if you are too sick or tired to chew, think smoothies. i make mine from frozen blueberries, a bit of flax meal, yogurt and water or milk. Peanut butter/jelly sandwich is quick and easy.
5) none of the different diets used in here (raw, juicing, gluten-free, paleo, etc) has cured anybody.

Edit to add:
6) aim for maintaining a healthy body weight. We patients with ME can go either way.

Last edited:

ahmo

Here are some celiac references I collected earlier this year. I, too, suffered from "asymptomatic" celiac most of my life. Except there were many symptoms, just not recognizable celiac. :rolleyes: I now know there are not only celiac cross-reactive foods, but a whole list of autoimmune stimulating foods to take into account.:(

http://www.glutensensitivity.net/index.html What we wish we’d understood when we first learned about gluten and celiac disease.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/03/...re-eating-gluten-even-after-giving-it-up.html

http://aiplifestyle.com/what-is-autoimmune-protocol-diet/
http://blog.primohealthcoach.com/blog/bid/79586/18-Gluten-Cross-Reactive-Foods

xchocoholic

That's good to know! I was tested for celiac and don't have it. But I didn't know it could be without obvious symptoms.

Good also to point out that food intolerance of any type can cause non-gut symptoms. I get tinnitus and other things, in addition to actual GI problems.

The medical professionals in the gf community have been talking about the inadequacies of the celiac test for detecting gluten intolerance and celiac disease for years now. They were part of the gluten summit if you're interested in reading their findings.

Going to celiac support group meetings for the last 7-8 has been eye opening as far as how gluten can affect people. I'm happy for those who can get by with eating cross contaminated foods. But I'd like to see more research on those who remain ill despite highly restrictive diets.

The LEAP food intolerance chart was the first documentation I saw of just how many symptoms can be from food intolerances. Like I said previously there's a tab at the top of their website for forms. It's in there.

Fwiw, I wouldn't say anyone with or without me/cfs isn't affected by food. After all our digestive tracts are our ONLY source of nutrients and designed to keep every part of our body healthy.

Tc ... x

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
The Primal Blueprint is a great diet and lifestyle plan... Paleo type diet. Seriously has helped my energy, gut, thyroid function