• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone have polyuria, Lyme AND high BP??

RWP (Rest without Peace)

Hi all,

I have been researching ADH for my ME/CFS-disabled wife who has very low blood volume. The thing is that since she got Diabetic Ketoacidosis back in '02, her BP has been high and needed medication for it. Her diabetes has been completely cured through natural means, after initially doing the rxs--her latest A1C was 5.0) I read a link to Lyme's (which she has) and vasopressin (ADH) which listed the typical low BP found in PWMECFS. I'm wondering if anyone has high BP and low ADH, and I'd appreciate any links to medical research since we're seeing her Dr. this week. Thanks.

Paul

halcyon

That does seem a little odd. Has she had her aldosterone/renin and cortisol/ACTH levels checked? Has she had a recent complete metabolic panel done?

halcyon

Sorry, I misread what you said. I thought you said she had low ADH. Hopefully the doc will want to test that as well as what I mentioned above.

RWP (Rest without Peace)

Hi Halcyon,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You were correct originally. Here's what has already been diagnosed; the rest is conjecture, bizarre as it seems.

Juli had the red blood cell mass (nuclear) test done in '02 showing low blood volume, low RBC, etc. She also had the aldo/renin tests, showing low (if I'm remembering correctly w/o the paperwork in front of me). Before the RBC test, her Dr. (an endocrinologist who claimed to specialize in CFS) said she couldn't have low blood volume and HIGH BP but he was wrong, obviously.

Cortisol and ACTH were checked earlier that year and all low. CMP has been done yearly, including several this year. Are you interested in the Na or K, or something else? From memory, her K is always low, though it has crept up into normal. The Na has always been OK (neither high nor low)--from memory.

The Lyme's was dx through Igenex (sp?).

I don't know if she has polyuria technically. She did have a severe head injury as a child and was in a coma for 2 weeks. I'm wondering if there could be two things going on simultaneously--like the high BP and low blood volume--that aren't "supposed" to go together.

Yes, we'll ask the Dr. to check the ADH just in case. Thanks again.

Paul

halcyon

OK. So low ADH would cause water loss. High levels of cortisol can inhibit ADH, but her cortisol is low. ACTH can stimulate aldosterone release to a degree, so low ACTH definitely doesn't help.

Low aldosterone would cause water loss, lower sodium, and higher potassium, but you say her potassium is low and her sodium is normal.

This paper talks about low renin hypertension. Maybe you can glean something useful from it.

Has she had her growth hormone/IGF-1 or TSH levels checked? Has she had an MRI looking at her pituitary gland? Perhaps the head injury did do some damage there.

Does she still have high blood pressure if taken when laying down?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
@paulgrose No Lyme here but I do have polyuria and that does not lower my high BP as would be expected - I'm guessing my mast cells are pumping out chymase as in my sig.

RWP (Rest without Peace)

@Sherlock Thanks for the response. We found out on the 3rd try for this ADH blood test (the other 2 got messed up) that my wife IS low in it, less than 1 pg/mL (ref 1-13.3) done at Quest.
BTW: What do mean by "sig"? Do you have low ADH? If so, how was it diagnosed, through blood or water restriction test?

@halcyon thanks for taking the time to write all those good questions. We've been overwhelmed trying to get answers and help. Since we now know the result of the low ADH, which questions are more relevant to you for me to answer?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
@Sherlock Thanks for the response. We found out on the 3rd try for this ADH blood test (the other 2 got messed up) that my wife IS low in it, less than 1 pg/mL (ref 1-13.3) done at Quest.
BTW: What do mean by "sig"? Do you have low ADH? If so, how was it diagnosed, through blood or water restriction test?
I've never had ADH tested. I do feel always somewhat dehydrated, usually 2 pounds or so of water.

sig = my signature, which says that chymase acts as a vasoconstrictor like the hypertension-producing chemical ACE.

Good luck.

melamine

I have polyuria, normal BP and non-Lyme chronic infections. If ACE has anything to do with it, mine has tended to run on the high side of normal or above.

halcyon

@halcyon thanks for taking the time to write all those good questions. We've been overwhelmed trying to get answers and help. Since we now know the result of the low ADH, which questions are more relevant to you for me to answer?
I understand, I'm sorry to hear you're going through all this still.

I was mostly curious if her hypertension was constant or if it might be postural (as in orthostatic hypertension). If her BP is measured while laying down, is it still high? I was also curious if she was taking any medications or supplements that might explain the hypertension.