• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Methylation Results - Please help interpret!

I just received the following results from 23 & Me:

Homozygous: VDR BSM, MAO-A R297R, MTR A2756G
Heterozygous: COMT V158M, COMT H62H, MTRR A66G, MTRR A664A, AHCY-01, AHCY-19, CBS A360A

I thought the explanations genetic genie provided would allow me to treat myself but I'm confused about how to supplement. Any suggestions anyone with more knowledge has would be incredibly helpful!

(I think my most important issues have to do with the MTR/MTRR mutations - indicating I need LOTS of methyl B12. However, I'm not sure if my CBS issue will prevent my body from utilizing the methyl B12 or if there are any other issues I need to be aware of.)

Thanks so much for pointing me to the SNP interpretation guide. That was exactly what I needed. My research was actually pointing me towards methyl B-12 when it looks like I should do better on hydroxy & adenosyl b12. Big difference!

I am curious - are people finding the hair mineral analysis to be necessary? I am trying to avoid unnecessary expenditures for obvious reasons!

halcyon

I've always read that hair mineral analysis is considered very inaccurate to the point of being useless.

If you're just interested in the common electrolyte minerals and you don't think serum tests are enough, the EXA Test might be useful. Speaking of expenditures though, if I recall correctly it's over $300.

Interesting. I've been reading about Yasko's protocol, am on Kronenburg's simplified protocol, and have been following Dr. Nancy Mullen's free conference calls. Apparently, Yasko and Mullen use HMA and UME results in combination w/genetics to develop methylation protocols.

Halcyon, are you and others finding that serum tests are sufficient and HMA and UME results are a waste of $? Or are you going down the methylation road without attempting to assess mineral levels?

There seems to be so much controversy regarding the accuracy of many of the tests docs recommend that its hard to determine what's absolutely necessary & what's not!

Critterina

@surfer girl ,

I'm so glad that you've reached the point of being aware of the controversy. There's controversy both in testing and in treatment.

Fantastic that I don't see MTHFR in your list of SNPs!!! :balloons: Party to celebrate that one.

Note that some people with the SNPs that suggest hydroxy- don't have any bad reaction to methylB12. I think it's not well understood.

Another controversy is the CBS C699T. It may play a role in sulfur problems, but it's obviously not the whole story. Some have misread the research. Any that says it's a 10x or 20x upregulation either misread it or repeated someone who misread it. Heartfixer has posted and "alternate explanation" since I thoroughly devoured that site:
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutr...ernate Explanation and Generic Plan of Action

If your doctor regularly orders a CBC and CMP, you'll get some serum mineral numbers. Add on test aren't usually that expensive. You can research them first to be sure that serum tests are appropriate for what you suspect might be wrong.

Critterina

halcyon

I wasn't aware HMA/UME was used much in diagnosing/treating methylation problems. I thought it was used more to uncover metal toxicities etc. I thought you were talking more about potassium/magnesium/sodium/... testing.

It's my impression that they more commonly use methylation panels, such as from HDRI and Doctors Data, urine OAT, and things like the NutrEval test to look at functional methylation status. In my opinion the functional tests are somewhat optional if you already have the genetic test results and don't have the money to spend. You can instead try the recommended treatments for your genetic defects and gauge your functional status by how you feel.