• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hot Flushes are Back. Could be my first hot winter.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I had electrolysis. Actually thermolosis which doesn't hurt as much. It was $25 1/2 hour I think. You have to call around because different people charge different amounts.

@rosie26. I swear by Acacia fiber for my IBS-C. I don't miss a day.

rosie26

@minkeygirl sounds really good. I just looked up Acacia fiber, it looks like a powder. Not keen on fiber but it sounds like it is not irritating. I have to be careful with fiber as it can give me that painful smooth muscle pain in the bowel.

Never heard of thermolosis, I'll have a look at that.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
It's a soluble fiber in powder form. You can cook with it too. I use a glass straw to stir it and drink. Every morning without fail.

Thermolisis uses heat vs electricity. Still hurts but not as much. Think that is what it is called.

Mij

I'm having furnace like flushing all throughout the day - glad the weather is cooling for this reason only. The heat of a hot flush reaches high heat in about 1-2 seconds. It's doing a good job of roughing me up some more.
I first experienced these 2 years ago when I had a severe deterioration of which I am still climbing out of. Then they disappeared for about a year and a half. I thought that was it but no, they are back. I hope this is the last go they have at me.

I had stopped taking fish oils a month ago as I had run out. I wonder if that is why they came back again. I have started back on them again.

How long did your hot flushes go on for. ? Anything help you through menopause. ?

Plus, did you get hair growing on your face, I hope I don't get that but :rolleyes: what next to deal with. I was told electrolysis is the best way to deal with hair if it starts growing. I am trying to plan ahead now so I don't have to think in a rush. Some women don't worry about hair on their face but I haven't reached that stage of acceptance yet (is that the right word ?) and not sure if I can when and if it happens.

I've had an interesting experience with Trazodone regarding hot flashes. Last October when my hot flashes began they started to affect my sleep, after 5 weeks it got to a point I had to start taking Trazodone (25mg). I only took it for one night, and the flashes stopped completely. I thought it was a coincidence. So for 6-7 months I didn't have any flashes until about 2 weeks ago. My sleep was terrible last night so I took trazodone (25mg), and so far no hot flashes, I normally get them all through the night and morning- but nothing yet. Maybe it's too soon to tell but could this be another coincedence?.

@rosie26 @TigerLilea do you get an odd feeling just before the flashes start? I do, I feel kind of a depressed awful feeling and after the flash passes I'm ok again. I'm interested to know, since Trazodone is an anti depressant maybe something changes in my brain.

rosie26

I've had an interesting experience with Trazodone regarding hot flashes. Last October when my hot flashes began they started to affect my sleep, after 5 weeks it got to a point I had to start taking Trazodone (25mg). I only took it for one night, and the flashes stopped completely. I thought it was a coincidence. So for 6-7 months I didn't have any flashes until about 2 weeks ago. My sleep was terrible last night so I took trazodone (25mg), and so far no hot flashes, I normally get them all through the night and morning- but nothing yet. Maybe it's too soon to tell but could this be another coincedence?.

@rosie26 @TigerLilea do you get an odd feeling just before the flashes start? I do, I feel kind of a depressed awful feeling and after the flash passes I'm ok again. I'm interested to know, since Trazodone is an anti depressant maybe something changes in my brain.

I wonder if you are having a relapse at the moment because I was the same as you 2 years ago when I first experienced the hot flashes. I had a severe relapse at time, the insomnia bad again. This time around I am better and not going through a severe relapse.

Have you noticed any side effects on Trazodone
Do you get other-worldliness with it in the head. ? That makes me more depressed as I like to feel 'with it'. I find it hard enough dealing with head inflammation and the POTS alone with out adding to more head stuff. It would be nice to find a tablet that takes the edge off these heightened sensitivities, the neuro ones though.

Last edited:

Mij

I wonder if you are having a relapse at the moment because I was the same as you 2 years ago when I first experienced the hot flashes. I had a severe relapse at time, the insomnia bad again. This time around I am better and not going through a severe relapse.

Have you noticed any side effects on Trazodone
Do you get other-worldliness with it in the head. ? That makes me more depressed as I like to feel 'with it'. I find it hard enough dealing with head inflammation and the POTS alone with out adding to more head stuff. It would be nice to find a tablet that takes the edge off these heightened sensitivities, the neuro ones though.

I do have *something* immunological going on for the last month, I have terrible shin splints when I try to walk and my muscles are stiff and sore. This could be contributing. I also have a different type of fatigue when the flashes start up, hard to explain.

I don't have a problem with Trazodone although I'm careful not to get up too fast in the morning or it makes me dizzy and I feel my BP drop. I take the smallest dosage and i t takes the edge off which is nice. Not everyone with ME can tolerate trazodone and with POTS you have to be careful because it can make you dizzy.

Do you have something that you can take to take the edge off?

Last edited:

rosie26

@Mij

I get the stiffness too - I also about 2 months ago felt like all my tendons in ankles, feet and other parts of my body were all taut as if they had lost elasticity. But that has come right at the moment.

I think after reading your post I am going to experiment again on something I bought 2 years ago from the health shop. I was in a really bad way with my ME 2 years ago when I first starting getting the hot flushes. I bought 'Promensil' double strength (has Red Clover in it ). It's really expensive but my hot flushes disappeared after taking about 8 tablets of it. I took 1x a day.

I'm not sure if it was that that stopped the hot flushes but I still have some in my drawer so I am going to try it again today and see what happens. I should really have tried it again before now. I'll see what happens in 10 days time.

Just reading on the packet it says - helps relieve hot flushes, night sweats. May help relieve anxiety, promotes well-being, does not cause weight gain. It's possible that it stopped my hot flushes the first time but I will start taking it again today and it will be interesting if it works again - then I may know for sure that it does work.

Is your fatigue the heavy kind. ? I know it is hard to explain.

Last edited:

Mij

@Mij

I get the stiffness too - I also about 2 months ago felt like all my tendons in ankles, feet and other parts of my body were all taut as if they had lost elasticity in the muscles but that has come right at the moment.

I think after reading your post I am going to experiment again on something I bought 2 years ago from the health shop. I was in a really bad way with my ME 2 years ago when I first starting getting the hot flushes. I bought 'Promensil' double strength (has Red Clover in it ). It's really expensive but my hot flushes disappeared after taking about 8 tablets of it. I took 1x a day.

I'm not sure if it was that that stopped the hot flushes but I still have some in my drawer so I am going to try it again today and see what happens. I should really have tried it again before now. I'll see what happens in 10 days time.

Just reading on the packet it says - helps relieve hot flushes, night sweats. May help relieve anxiety, promotes well-being, does not cause weight gain. It's possible that it stopped my hot flushes the first time but I will start taking it again today and it will be interesting if it works again - then I may know for sure that it does work.

Is your fatigue the heavy kind. ? I know it is hard to explain.

Hi Rosie,

A virologist I saw years ago told me that the stiffness and achiness I was feeling was interferon(Inflammatory cytokines). It makes sense to me because I feel viral, it's like my head is in a fish bowl.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interferon

I almost bought Promensil last fall but went with MENOsmart Plus instead because I was swayed by all the positive reviews. I only took it for 2 days and felt awful, so I stopped. I'm not sure if it was the supplement. Let me know if the Promensil is still helping you, I may give that a try. The summer is starting here and I"m not looking forward to being even more hot, I have a good A/C and a FroggTogg chilly pad I wear around my neck.

The fatigue I feel is a heavy kind as you describe. I don't want to move. It's different than the normal fatigue with ME.

rosie26

Mij

I don't think I could take Trazodone, the thought of more dizziness makes me want to silently scream no.................. I had mega dose of it everyday in my severe years and my POTS has eased a lot now. I don't want to stir that monster up again, I know he's there still.

I think you might be right about the interferon's. I have always felt that that was what I was feeling - the effects of interferon, I picked it and pondered that in my first year of ME. The fatigue is different alright - it has an immune feel to it for sure.

I think you really just need to rest extremely Mij. and hopefully it will ease up for you soon. Don't take on anyones stresses and drama's and keep calm as much as possible so you don't over excite the neuro symptoms. That's the only advice I can think of right now.

I will let you know about the Promensil. It will be interesting if it works again. I think I read that it mimic's estrogen. I will take a look at the information leaflet in the packet again this afternoon.

I wish I could send you some of our cooler air that we are getting now burrrr. I am putting on layers of jumpers and cardi's and have been putting two socks on. We need two long funnels from your place to ours, so we could exchange hot and cold air.:Dx

Last edited:

Mij

@rosie26

Totally understand you not wanting to try trazodone. there are some with ME who can not tolerate trazodone. My onset started with severe vertigo and ever since then I get dizziness in various degrees. It can be quite debilitating so I understand how you feel.

Yeah exchanging hot and cold through tunnels lol that would be nice :) I used to love the summers when I was well but now I dread them. I love the cold weather.

rosie26

I looked up 'interferon depression' and it does depress the emotions as well from what I could see but they were talking about interferon given to Hep C patients. It would explain the weakness/heaviness of body and emotions.

Mij

I looked up 'interferon depression' and it does depress the emotions as well from what I could see but they were talking about interferon given to Hep C patients. It would explain the weakness/heaviness of body and emotions.

Our body naturally produces interferon in response to viruses/pathogens and there are medications called interferon. What you read was the medication causing those symptoms. so I guess it has the same effect when we naturally produce it. Does that make sense?

TigerLilea

Yes, most of the time I know when a hot flash is going to start. It used to be I'd suddenly get a feeling of dread come over me for about 10 seconds or so. Then it would go away and within about 15 seconds the hot flash would start. Now, instead of the feeling of dread, I feel anxious for about five to ten seconds and then it goes away and within about half a minute the hot flash hits me. Fortunately they aren't so bad anymore. I've noticed that in the last couple of weeks I'm only having one or two a day whereas this time last year they were constant throughout the day and would last for minutes at a time whereas now they last maybe 30 seconds or so.

rosie26

My hot flashes seem to be subsiding. I began Promensil about 8 days ago and I think I can say that these tablets do work for me. But I will continue to take them for another 8 days.

rosie26

I just have to say, I haven't had the hot flashes back. I'm quite stunned by the effectiveness of Promensil. That's the second time in 2 years that Promensil has worked so incredibly quick!

The first time I tried it, it worked in 8 days and the hot flashes went away for a year and a half. This time it took about a good 10-14 days. It's been 2 months and no hot flashes. What's with this tablet ? lol It's like a miracle!

Last edited:

belize44

I have been having hot flashes for about five years. They started creeping up on me back in '09. It might sound silly, but I miss sleeping in my cuddly pajamas. Now I have to wear cotton mens boxer shorts, so that the sweat will evaporate quickly when I have one. I also have that awful aura before a hot flash, a feeling of dread and/or anger. Makes me feel like I am going psycho or something! I tried BHRT, but got alarming breast pain from it and was told to get off of it ASAP. I do use small amounts of vaginal estrogen cream, but even that can cause breast pain and tenderness. I have also tried acupuncture and herbs but this torment shows no sign of leaving any time soon...:devil:

rosie26

I have been having hot flashes for about five years. They started creeping up on me back in '09. It might sound silly, but I miss sleeping in my cuddly pajamas. Now I have to wear cotton mens boxer shorts, so that the sweat will evaporate quickly when I have one. I also have that awful aura before a hot flash, a feeling of dread and/or anger. Makes me feel like I am going psycho or something! I tried BHRT, but got alarming breast pain from it and was told to get off of it ASAP. I do use small amounts of vaginal estrogen cream, but even that can cause breast pain and tenderness. I have also tried acupuncture and herbs but this torment shows no sign of leaving any time soon...:devil:

Have you tried the Promensil tablet for hot flashes? I am 'hot flash free' still since taking it a couple of months ago.
The hot flashes do make the aggravate brain symptoms, I found. Hope you get to try Promensil if you haven't already. I am impressed with it's effectiveness.

Last edited:

rosie26

No, I haven't tried Promensil. I have been reading up on it, though.

Worth trying Belize. I only took the tablet until the hot flashes stopped which was 8 days the first time I tried it 2 years ago and 14 days the 2nd time, a couple of months ago.