• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

high carb or law carb diet?

fibrodude84

I know all the research indicates a low carb diet of unprocessed foods is best but I have the most energy when I'm on a high carb white flour pasta diet.

I have done months of low to no carb to see if I adjust but I'm still drained. Anyone feel better on a high carb diet?

BadBadBear

I did low carb for a long time, and my body weight was great on it, but I got really sick eventually and I think I lost a lot of muscle on it. I am now eating something akin to the "Perfect Health Diet", about 30% carbs, and I feel a lot better. I am carrying more fat, but also more muscle and I have more energy. I get my lion's share of carbs mostly from rice, kefir, yogurt, winter squash, and potato.

It's a tough balance because I think my blood sugars were best low carb, but my thyroid and adrenals tanked. Now my thyroid and adrenals are better, but I have to watch my blood sugars.

Kati

Patient in training
I have monitored my diet (calorie counting) for the last year and a half, and regardless on what I choose to eat, I usually end up being in the 65% carb, 15-20%proteine and 15% fat. This is what my body needs.

fibrodude84

Kefir and yogurt are considered carbs? I think my body also needs carbs but I just gotta feed it better sources.

BadBadBear

Kefir and yogurt are considered carbs? I think my body also needs carbs but I just gotta feed it better sources.

I get about 15% of my daily carbs from fermented milk products, so they are a valuable carb source for me. Compared to pasta, not very carby at all though. :)

I do poorly on flour and processed carbs, so those are not a good option for me.

ukxmrv

I'm best on a high protein diet. Carbs in the morning and then protein or a mix after that.

Something I noticed that is there seems to be a "tipping point" for energy though diet. That is apart from the mornings when I cannot tolerate much in the way of protein especially cooked foods due to nausea/vomiting etc (the low cortisol times).

The rest of the time I notice that "small meals often" does nothing for me. It has to be 2 big meals for lunch and dinner and mainly protein but some carbs for me to have the best functioning.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I improved a lot in many ways when I cut out gluten and went low-grain/low-sugar as well as adding some supplements. Details in my profile - see 'Information' section.

I didn't have a blood glucose monitor before I changed my diet, but it feels as though it is better controlled now, with less urgent hunger and nausea, and it is indeed steady when I check it. I have 4 smallish meals a day and snack on nuts, sugar-free vegan chocolate and small amounts of fruit (max 1-2 apples a day). (I am a vegan.)