• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heard of the Theranos blood test?

juniemarie

Maybe others have heard of it but it can be done at Walgreens using a teeny tiny finger prick of blood and the info it transferred by computer to the lab and you get results super fast…..they have a listing of the test they perform and they look amazing inexpensive. Don't know what the scuttlebutt is as to accuracy etc.
Sounds pretty cool

http://www.theranos.com

Hip

I emailed Theranos some months ago asking them about any plans to come to the UK, but unfortunately got no reply. But then the Wikipedia article about the company says that: "The company has been secretive about its plans and operations in order to maintain confidentiality - operating deeply in ‘stealth mode’ - and has rarely spoken to the media."

I wonder if their prices are just a bit too low. I would like to see these people make a good profit so that they can quickly expand and establish themselves across the US, and hopefully in other countries too.

With for example a cholesterol level tests costing just $2.99, they could double or triple their prices and still be absurdly cheap.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/09/b...beth-holmes-ban.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0
Federal regulators have barred Elizabeth Holmes, chief executive of Theranos, from owning or operating a medical laboratory for at least two years, raising new questions about the future of the embattled blood-testing start-up and its founder, once a Silicon Valley phenomenon.

It sounds like they can keep running during the appeals process, but are expected to lose any appeals. The article specifically refers to inaccuracies in a test for blood clotting which could have deadly consequences, and more generally to the lack of validation and/or publishing regarding accuracy of all of the testing.

They might continue to develop and market testing technology, but to other labs, rather than directly to consumers. But they'll have trouble doing that without validating the testing process or equipment. Walgreens already pulled out last month.