• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

weird but interesting

someone please tell me this is normal but I noticed something really weird last week. I live in Miami and all my friends that come over my house always get bit by mosquitoes or anything flying in the air almost immediatlely. I never get bit by anything... I can be out in the yard all day and the little suckers never want my blood... my girlfriend told me they can smell blood... I wonder why they don't want mine and want all my friends that are healthy.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I read somewhere that everybody gets bitten, but not everyone reacts to the bite with itching, swelling etc. This may explain it.

PennyIA

They have proven that there are different things that increase the risk of being bitten. They look for CO2 and body heat, some have said it's blood type (which I think has been disproven).

My youngest son and I can be the only ones in a group of dozens to get bit. And not just once. I can have 20-30 bites in as many minutes. Everyone else won't have a single bite.

My eldest son? It's unbelievably rare how often he gets bit. He can be outside a dozen times a day (he smokes) and he'll get bit once every four or five years.

Me? I'm rarely outside except to go from one place to another. But I'll be bit a dozen times a month- often from mosquitos that manage to get into the house. :-(

At least my youngest isn't allergic to the bites like I am.

IreneF

When my daughter was about 9 she got a bite on her neck that swelled to about 6" across. The ped. had no idea what happened, but he took pix to show to his buds. I don't remember if he prescribed anything, but it did go down and she didn't get sick.