• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal cortex - what effect does it have and when does it peak?

BadBadBear

Hi, I have been taking Adrenergize adrenal cortex + Gaia herbs, and I don't really notice anything from it. For those who report a good reaction to adrenal supps, what do you notice happening? More energy? Is it noticeable? How long after taking it do you notice the effect of it?

I am trying to decide if it's somehow supportive for my adrenal and I should keep taking it, or if I should save the money and try something else. I have slightly low adrenal function during the daytime, and then slightly high output at night, so I have been taking adrenal stuff in the AM at breakfast.

Thanks!
Michelle

Adster

I get benefits within a few hours of taking it. More energy, clearer thinking, less joint/back pain etc. I'm using ~15mg of Thorne brand.

zzz0r

Problem is what dosage should someone take andfor how long should you use it ? Also is it actually good the adrenals at the end of the day or the adrenals get used to it and it becomes essential supplement for life?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Taking adrenal glandular makes me feel calm, capable... like things are "no big deal" and "I can handle it." Perhaps a little bit more energy, clarity. I would describe the effect as gentle and soothing.

I have taken adrenal glandular occasionally, when I was crashed or under particular stress, but did not rely on it as a constant treatment. Some people become dependent on them for years. Not the worst thing in the world if it helps, but just an consideration.

BadBadBear

Sherpa, I think it affects me much like it does you - a gentle and soothing feeling.

I did end up going off of it for a while, and definitely was surprised to have effects by stopping it. I had anxiety and generally decreased mood when I was off of it - much worse when I first went off.

I do not notice at all that it helps me later in the morning & afternoon when my cortisol level falls too low - I don't know that it actually does anything for my cortisol level. I had hoped it would even that out some, but I don't think so.

I did decide to go ahead and take another round of it, since it does seem to be helpful with mood. And if I go off of it again, I will taper off instead of just running out of capsules one fine day. :)