• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Queasy, light-headed feeling...

daisybell

Hi all,
I would really appreciate your advice and experience re some weird symptoms I am having right now...
The closest thing I can think of to describe it is like when you have had one or two too many alcoholic drinks... Except I haven't.

I am getting waves of nausea and feeling woozy, but not actually in danger of vomiting or of passing out. I have a BP monitor in the house and so I have measured this, and it's ok.. Perhaps a little high but not low anyway.

I have my usual chest pain and malaise but nothing that feels worse than I often get. I just feel weird!

Is this common? Is it autonomic?

xchocoholic

I get this from eating something that didn't agree with me or triggering a strong blood glucose & insulin release. Do you have a blood glucose monitor ?

I have hyperinsulinemia so I over produce insulin. A glucose monitor won't catch an increase in insulin. I have no idea if there's a home test for insulin.

Pepto bismol, digestive enzymes, eating fat + protein to stabilize your glucose or probiotics might help. Tc .. x

IreneF

I get nausea off and on. Crystallized ginger works well.

Woozy is kind of par for the course.

Small meals are good. Esp. something with sugar, such as a banana.

daisybell

Funnily enough I am not sure that it is related to eating... I seem to be generally in a low patch with lots of fatigue and malaise. I hope I can pace myself better and get back some function as currently I am just steadily deteriorating.

xchocoholic

Keeping a symptom diary might help you recognize what's happening. Include date, time, activities, symptom and all foods, meds or supplements. Also any environmental exposures. Dogs, cats, chemicals ... whatever else you can think of.

Reactions / symptoms aren't always apparent but over time you should see some patterns emerge. Sometimes it can take months to recognize a pattern. And sometimes there isn't a way to identify a trigger.

Our symptoms can be from hard to measure biochemical sources like hormones. Female hormonal reactions can sometimes be identified but not always. Explanations are on the web.

The symptoms you gave are common for hormonal issues too. I used to feel sickly when ovulating and then again right before my menses. I puked every month as a teen. Tmi. Lol.

Writing these down helped me because I forget easily. It also trains you to listen to your body.

Apologies if you already knew this.

Ginger tea is great for this too.

Tc .. x

Last edited:

SOC

Hi all,
I would really appreciate your advice and experience re some weird symptoms I am having right now...
The closest thing I can think of to describe it is like when you have had one or two too many alcoholic drinks... Except I haven't.

I am getting waves of nausea and feeling woozy, but not actually in danger of vomiting or of passing out. I have a BP monitor in the house and so I have measured this, and it's ok.. Perhaps a little high but not low anyway.

I have my usual chest pain and malaise but nothing that feels worse than I often get. I just feel weird!

Is this common? Is it autonomic?
Could be low blood volume. If your body is trying to compensate by raising your blood pressure, you might not show the more common low blood pressure with low blood volume.

Or maybe you just ate something that disagreed with you. ;)

daisybell

@SOC
I think you may be right about the low blood volume. I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, and I seem to be one the lucky ones with regard to my gut function.

However today I feel very shaky and my exercise tolerance is about 10 steps!

xchocoholic

@SOC
I think you may be right about the low blood volume. I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, and I seem to be one the lucky ones with regard to my gut function.

However today I feel very shaky and my exercise tolerance is about 10 steps!

Hi. Food sensitivities don't always equal digestive problems.
If you google leap food intolerance you'll find the customfitnutrition site. Under their forms section is a form you can print out.

Tc .. x