• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reaction vit b1, thiamine, benfotiamine??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I get nerve/neuropathy type pain down my legs alot at night that disrupts sleep but also get nerve pain in my neck and across my shoulders. Generally i use lyrica which has helped but i do want to be less reliant on meds if i can.

I have read where people use a fat soluble form of thiamine called benfotiamine and i have recently started this a few days ago at 150mg in the morning to hopefully help with nerve pains etc. In the last few days i have had increased pain with knots around my shoulder blades up into my neck and across my shoulders, mostly on the right side which is where i do get alot of pain and probably some arthritis i guess from work lifting equipment on that side.

Im wondering if this stuff increases nerve function if it could be irritating my nerves and causing increased pain. No recent obvious injury etc. I am going to stop it for a few days and see what happens.

I am interested to know if anyone else has had a similar issue with vitamin b1 and its other different forms??

cheers!!

melihtas

Whenever I take B1 (thiamin) I feel like I am in a strong electromagnetic field and I hear noise in my head like the one when a sound system is on but not playing any music, just deep noise.

I don't have any kind of nerve pain or arthritis but it certainly feels like a nerve overactivation.

adreno

PR activist
I think B1 is somewhat cholinergic, which might translate to increased muscle tension and nervous system activity. It seems most of the "nerve healers" are cholinergic to some degree (ashwaghanda, lipoic acid, alcar etc).

heapsreal

I have only been using benfotiamine for about a week. I will stop for a few days and start again and see what happens I guess? The muscle pain and knots didn't start day one but probably after being on this for 3 to 4 days. Was painful this morning but early tonight it has eased off.

I guess being a fat soluble b1 the levels can build up. Just a thought, maybe it's something that should be started at dosing once every few days and very gradually increase frequency? ?

trial and error,seems to be the way to work these things out.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I take 'regular' thiamine and do not have any problem with it. I am still working on the B2 protocol of Dog Person in a sporadic manner. She was definitely in favor of starting low and working up. I am currently taking 1.3 mg three times/day.

I am almost sure that I bought some benfotiamine, but I cannot find it now.

Last edited:

heapsreal

I take 'regular' thiamine and do not have any problem with it. I am still working on the B2 protocol of Dog Person in a sporadic manner. She was definitely in favor of starting low and working up. I am currently taking 1.3 mg three times/day.

I am almost sure that I bought some benfotiamine, but I cannot find it now.

I wonder if regular b1 being water soluble, its doesnt build up but eliminated quicker. The fat soluble b1, benfotiamine which stays in the body builds up over time causing stimulation of the nerves,

Pain has eased but still knots around the shoulder blades, give it more time and see what happens??

rebar

I had a positive response to high dose B1 last summer, it lasted for about 6 weeks. One of the significant benefits was
a calming of my "nervous" system. Upon awakening I no longer experienced the wired/tired feeling. I lost ground after I
over did it and had a major crash. I have no doubt it helped for a while, and yes B1 is water soluble.

heapsreal

I had a positive response to high dose B1 last summer, it lasted for about 6 weeks. One of the significant benefits was
a calming of my "nervous" system. Upon awakening I no longer experienced the wired/tired feeling. I lost ground after I
over did it and had a major crash. I have no doubt it helped for a while, and yes B1 is water soluble.

i didnt notice any cns type effects from benfotiamine. I still have a few knots around my shoulder blades, not as bad as a few days ago. Being fat soluble maybe i could dose it once a week or something like that but i will wait till next week?

xks201

Don't like benfo. One study showed it did not get into the brain. Gonna try some other forms of b1.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Don't like benfo. One study showed it did not get into the brain. Gonna try some other forms of b1.

Sulbutiamine is supposed to cross the blood brain barrier. There is a discussion of it somewhere here.

Sushi

Seven7

Seven
I cannot do that pill, I get like an immune reactivation type symptoms, All I know I have it in my list of NEVER TRY AGAIN.

For my neuropathy the pill ALC with ALA is what is taking care of mine. The numbness/tingling come back as soon as I do not take one.

Even I took benfo B1 and i am experiencing more nervous activity and muscle pains. Fredd recommends only 10mg. I took 50mg. i will see what happens with 10mg. I did take pottasium gluconate as Fredd recommended but it didn't help.

Lets see what happens next.

Oh my God....

I had cold fever at night and today i cannot go to office.Extreme headaches. Oh my God...

Vitamin B1 and B7contains sulphur and the benfo I took is fat soluble and took in > 50 mg. As I am intolerant to sulphur some reaction must have happened in the brian. if I have leaky BBB then this reaction could have happened? any thoughts on this ...

Warm Regards

heapsreal

Oh my God....

I had cold fever at night and today i cannot go to office.Extreme headaches. Oh my God...

Vitamin B1 and B7contains sulphur and the benfo I took is fat soluble and took in > 50 mg. As I am intolerant to sulphur some reaction must have happened in the brian. if I have leaky BBB then this reaction could have happened? any thoughts on this ...

Warm Regards

I think it stimulates the nerves system in some way, the opposite to how i thought it would work. I took 150mg of benfotiamine for several days before the muscle spasms and pain hit, too ka few days after stopping it for things to settle. i think if i was going to use b1 i would use the normal water soluble form as it is eliminiated much quicker then fat soluble type.

Finally all troublesome symptoms vanished.

It was a strong detox reaction.Damn strong . total of 7 days to come close to normal. Unless I took multivitamin and minerals, supported with good gut bacteria, antioxidants and great amount of water nothing changed for 3 days. On fourth day I took all these and boom booom ..75% energy returned and rest is predictable.

hope this helps.