• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida & Biofilms - Theory & Protocol

Asklipia

So trying to figure out what is the best supplement source for farnesol and phenethyl alcohol are. Ideas anyone?
Tyrosol is in olive oil.
Farnesol is in rose petal jam, jasmine tea, orange flower water.
Phenethyl alcohol is also in rose petal jam, jasmine tea, orange flower water.

Arghh!

Gestalt

Came across the following on another forum.
Tom Busby said:
Farnesol is found at 4.5% in neroli oil, 1% in rose oil, and 5% in Australian sandalwood oils. There are four types of farnesol, but the (E,E)-Farnesol is the most effective anti-fungal type of farnesol, according to a medical research article at http://aem.asm.org/content/72/6/3805.full, and it is also called trans-trans farnesol. The (E,E) type is sold by Sigma-Aldrich. (source)

Gestalt

I always wondered how Candida created an alkaline environment for itself...now I know how!

"Candida not only prefer an alkaline (or less acidic) environment; it actually acts to further reduce the acidity of your intestines. One of Candida’s byproducts is ammonia, an alkaline gas that forms when the Candida Albicans yeast ferments sugar in your intestine. Ammonia increases the alkalinity of your digestive tract, and has even been found to promote the growth of other yeasts. A 2011 study (see here) found that “under acidic conditions, this species can raise the pH from 4 to greater than 7 in less than 12 hours”. The same study showed that by alkalizing its environment, Candida triggers a switch to its pathogenic, hyphal form, which is the form that causes Leaky Gut Syndrome." http://www.thecandidadiet.com/ph-levels-candida.htm
Ammonia is WHY I had such insane brain fog for the last 15 years. And this is WHY yucca an ammonia binder helped me so very, very much and gave me the biggest relief ever. And this also why Resistant Starch helped me so much, by making my colon more acidic.

Recently I have been on a crusade to acidify my SI w/ lactic acid bacteria. Seems I am on the right track here.

shah78

I love the idea that you claim to have" brain fog". (post #! I claim to have" brain fog" and I can barely put two sentences together on paper. How does this work? I'm great with all the modalities, ie. the lab experiments, myself being the "lab rat". So I run a good experiment. ..... but your work , here and on our website, is just top notch.So what do you mean by "brain fog"?

Gestalt

I love the idea that you claim to have" brain fog". (post #! I claim to have" brain fog" and I can barely put two sentences together on paper. How does this work? I'm great with all the modalities, ie. the lab experiments, myself being the "lab rat". So I run a good experiment. ..... but your work , here and on our website, is just top notch.So what do you mean by "brain fog"?

My apologies my statement was misleading. It would be more accurate to say the 13 years prior to 2 years ago. I have been relatively brain fog free since mid 2012 when I first discovered yucca as you can read about in my first post on the matter here. This forum acts like a journal with time stamps and all. Most of my "top notch" writing has come after that.

The ammonia causes microglial activation which in turn caused muscle tension all along my spinal cord and neck. I would wake up every morning feeling like I had been hit by a semi-truck, and be exhausted throughout the day. It also felt like I had permanent low grade flu with body aches and all. Basic math was very challenging and it felt like I was living my life in a haze. Needless to say I flunked many, many basic intro level courses in school. Poor concentration, poor memory, and a high degree of mental dissociation from my body is how I characterize brain fog. Yucca was a symptomatic breakthrough, but only masked the underlying issue. It's not really until I discovered Candex and RS that the need for yucca went away.

Sidereal

Resistant starch and larch arabinogalactan have been helpful for my brain fog also. I am not brain fog free yet by any means but the difference is obvious. Prior to starting to modify my gut with these prebiotics I had encephalopathy for a couple of years. I felt like my brain was swimming in a rancid pool of ammonia. I literally could not think.

Ripley

Tyrosol is in olive oil.
Arghh!

I feel like this is a bit like when people say that milk has casein and therefore it must cause cancer because casein isolates are linked to cancer. I'm not entirely convinced that the tyrosol in olive oil is going to flare up hyphal candida infections. That certainly hasn't been my experience and it's not like olive oil has a reputation of making the cultures that relied on it sick with fungal infections.

While olive oil and olive leaf extract both contain Tyrosol, they are also believed to have anti-fungal properties:

Herbs and Natural Supplements: An evidence-based guide said:
Based on evidence of its broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity, olive leaf extract is used for the treatment of common bacterial infections such as bronchitis and tonsillitis, common fungal infections such as vaginal candidiasis, Tinea pedis and Tinea capitis, and viral infections such as herpes simplex. The in vitro antifungal activity of olive and olive oil may be useful in the topical treatment of fungal infections (Battinelli et al 2006). Currently, controlled studies are not available to determine whether treatment is effective.[LINK]

Tyrsol is just 1 of 30 phenolic compounds in olive oil and olive leaf extract. I suspect the other compounds in olive oil and olive leaf play a role in its potential anti-fungal properties. However, I do believe the Tyrosol angle is worth exploring and perhaps is a reason not to guzzle large quantities of olive oil :).

zzz0r

Any advice regarding omega 3 when someone is on a candida diet ? Is it acceptable or not? I have read somewhere that fish contains heavy metals and toxins and should be avoided when you are on a candida diet because it further burdens the immune system.

jepps

I´m treating Candida with enzymes and probiotics. The stooltest ever showed low Levels of candida. The newest test Shows veery high Levels of candida, so I suspect, I´m detoxifying.

But the lactos and bifidos are as low as in the last test 2 month ago, although I take probiotics. Does this mean, that I take all probiotics for the pathogenes to detoxify them?

end

Any advice regarding omega 3 when someone is on a candida diet ? Is it acceptable or not? I have read somewhere that fish contains heavy metals and toxins and should be avoided when you are on a candida diet because it further burdens the immune system.

@zzz0r

It is VERY important to use the highest quality fish oil you can afford, as most of the cheap omega 3 supplements are heavily contaminated just like you mentioned. Hg exacerbates ANY infection. If you have taken KDM's H2S test and found it to come about as positive, you have an even greater reason to avoid Hg as the H2S converts Hg into an even more toxic form(organic)while in the body...

jepps

Does anybody know, where the systemic enzymes work? Only in the colon, or also in the liver, kidney or gall bladder?

Ripley

Also I would like to ask people if they are avoiding milk and all similar products. I am trying to follow this anticandida diet but I do not understand why I have to avoid milk.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoavoid.htm

Pasteurized milk has some sugar (lactose) in it. I suppose that's what people are worried about. While everyone is different, some people (including myself) have found that complex carbs or "safe starches" that quickly break down into glucose (potatoes, yams, rice) are readily absorbed by the body before candida can feed off of them. So, it may be the other sugars that need some minor conversion in the body (fructose, lactose, sucrose, etc) that candida has an easier time snatching up. I can't say for sure, but all I can say is that many people seem to do well with healthy portions of "safe starches" and perhaps it's the lactose that people are worried about.

However, raw milk has lactase in it, which aside from its healing properties, should allow the lactose to be more easily assimilated in the body. You'll find a number of gurus who claim that raw milk is fine for candida. And from my personal experience, I had no problems whatsoever with drinking significant quantities of raw milk or yogurt. In fact, I'd say the more raw milk I drank, the better I felt.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
While everyone is different, some people (including myself) have found that complex carbs or "safe starches" that quickly break down into glucose (potatoes, yams, rice) are readily absorbed by the body before candida can feed off of them.

I thought the whole point in focusing on resistant starches and foods such as cooked-and-cooled potatoes and rice was that they provided a good substrate to feed bacteria. If this is the case, why would they be unavailable for candida but available for beneficial bacteria? I've read, on numerous message forums, people claiming that RS doesn't feed candida but I have yet to see anything that I would constitute as solid evidence explaining the mechanism for this. Have you been able to find any research into this belief, beyond the anecdotal evidence that's out there?

Last edited:

dmholmes

This discussion reminded me of Norm Robillard's work. He advocates a low fermented carbohydrate approach to IBS and SIBO. A formula is used to calculate the fermentation potential of foods. My simplified take, if a food has a fair amount of carbohydrate and a high glycemic index, then the saccharides are mostly absorbed into the bloodstream and not leftover for microbial fermentation. I like this more specific approach versus throwing out all carbs.

Ripley

I thought the whole point in focusing on resistant starches and foods such as cooked-and-cooled potatoes and rice was that they provided a good substrate to feed bacteria. If this is the case, why would they be unavailable for candida but available for beneficial bacteria? I've read, on numerous message forums, people claiming that RS doesn't feed candida but I have yet to see anything that I would constitute as solid evidence explaining the mechanism for this. Have you been able to find any research into this belief, beyond the anecdotal evidence that's out there?

I think people fall into a trap thinking that candida or yeasts will always behave the same way. There is still so much to be known about environments, commensals, metabolites, etc. Some eukaryotes (perhaps shortsightedly we all tend to just call it all "candida" as if there was only one invasive species of yeast on the planet) can adapt to ketones to fuel. Many seem to prefer fructose or refined sugars. Some will adapt and change their fuel source over time, etc. etc. These variances probably explain why some people do really well fighting candida with RS while a few others fail.

The research overwhelmingly suggests that normalizing GIT pH to slightly acidic seems to switch off the candida growth gene and render it benign. My favorite link, chockfull of research on how the pH of your GIT controls candida like a light switch:

Alkalinity promotes Candida overgrowth

The more soluble fibers (prebiotics) you eat, the more SCFAs are produced and the "acids" from those SCFAs will lower the pH in the GIT. It's not a coincidence that virtually all "acids" will inactivate candida.

So... eating RS (or whatever fiber you prefer) may or may not feed candida, but for many people it's fairly moot if they have the right balance of bacteria in place to produce SCFAs that will normalize your GIT pH and inactivate candida. RS just happens to be very good (and cheap) at helping to produce the SCFAs and other metabolites that normalize pH and inactivate candida. But, you should be able to come to a similar result by consuming large enough quantities of other fibers. There are many fibers to choose from. RS is just cheap and easy and complex carbs from starches also tend to help support the immune system by providing the sugary building blocks for glycans responsible for supporting the immune system, such as Mucin-2 (which is 80% sugar by weight).

The point here is that RS is not absolutely required when fighting a candida infection, so long as you consume enough other fibers to normalize GIT pH. But, I would expect a moderate intake of complex starchy carbs to be beneficial in maintaining a healthy gut barrier and immune system.

Last edited:

This was such a timely post, @Ripley. I came to this forum to look at ways to cure my sudden candida outbreak and this was the first post I saw. I'd been taking some effervescent Vit B complex while waiting for the folate free one to arrive from overseas. Of course, effervescence increases alkalinity which promotes candida. It's one of those d'oh! moments.

I'm now sucking on Vit C to introduce some acidity. Maybe it's time to go suck on a lemon. Thanks for the most helpful post.