• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Homo COMT & MAO. Should I be worried? ;)

My 23andme results came in today! What are your thoughts about these mutations?

Homozygous:
COMT V158M
COMT H62H
MAO A R297R
MTHFR A1298C
MTRR A66G
BHMT-08

Heterozygous:
VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
MTHFR 03 P39P
MTRR A664A
AHCY-01
AHCY-19
CBS C699T
CBS A360A

Valentijn

I wouldn't worry about the MAOA and COMT - they don't really mean much. But MTRR A66G means that you recycle B12 at about 30% of the normal rate. Supplementing B12 can help with that. Some people have problems with methylB12, in which case hydroxoB12 is a safer option.

Critterina

I agree with Valentijn, and also note the MTHFR A1298C +/+. That may affect the biopterin cycle and cause neurotransmitter problems (anxiety, depression, etc.- long list). It is addressed by supplementing methylfolate. Right now (without methylB12) the MTRR is reducing your use of methylfolate for the methyl cycle, but when you add the methylb12, it will use your methylfolate, making less of it available for the biopterin cycle. You may start to experience symptoms. If so, or if you already have symptoms, think about supplementing with methylfolate.

I have a bottle of Molybdenum that I ordered while waiting for my results. Is it worth taking for my mutations?

Thanks for the replies.

I took 75mcg Molybdenum and felt nausea shortly after. I'm not sure if the Molybdenum caused it. It this a common side effect?