• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Not just statins lower Q10

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have just read this from wikipedia on Q10 and thought i would share as its relevant to us.
Many of us know cholesterol meds such as statins lower q10 levels but also beta blockers and some other blood pressure meds do to by interfering with the way Q10 is synthesized.

The way i read into this is that one shouldnt just stop these meds without talking to their docs but maybe consider supplementing Q10 if on these meds. I know beta blockers are commonly used for pots/oi, so just something to consider if on these meds.

Inhibition by statins and beta blockers[edit]
CoQ10 shares a biosynthetic pathway with cholesterol. The synthesis of an intermediary precursor of CoQ10, mevalonate, is inhibited by some beta blockers, blood pressure-lowering medication,[25] and statins, a class of cholesterol-lowering drugs.[26] Statins can reduce serum levels of CoQ10 by up to 40%.[27] Some research suggests the logical option of supplementation with CoQ10 as a routine adjunct to any treatment that may reduce endogenous production of CoQ10, based on a balance of likely benefit against very small risk.[28][29]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenzyme_Q10

Gingergrrl

@heapsreal Did it say which beta blockers? I currently take a low dose of Atenolol for tachycardia which (after a recent change in how I take it) is actually working well this week. But I had no idea that it was lowering my CoQ10. And don't get me started on the dangers of statins LOL.

heapsreal

@heapsreal Did it say which beta blockers? I currently take a low dose of Atenolol for tachycardia which (after a recent change in how I take it) is actually working well this week. But I had no idea that it was lowering my CoQ10. And don't get me started on the dangers of statins LOL.

No it was wiki I read it on. Might need to do further Google search to find which ones. Also though we don't know by how much. I guess it shows how important supplements can be? ?

taniaaust1

oh not good. I hope my Clonidine isnt lowering mine. I know I get severe bad reactions with statins (to the point Im brainless to the point I cant function after a dose) probably due to how much they lower this.

I wish CoQ10 wasnt so expensive as I'd then supplement it.

Helen

Thanks @heapsreal for important facts. I guess many PWME are put on betablockers because of too high pulse. (COMT polymorphisms impaires the breakdown of adrenaline among other causes to a high pulse).

In one of the links there is an answer to the questions about which betablockers it is about.

Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol. 1977 May;17(1):157-64.
Bioenergetics in clinical medicine XV. Inhibition of coenzyme Q10-enzymes by clinically used adrenergic blockers of beta-receptors.
Kishi T, Watanabe T, Folkers K.
Abstract
Adrenergic blockers for beta-receptors were studied for inhibition of mitochrondrial CoQ10-enzymes. These enzymes are indispensable for the bioenegetics of the myocardium. Propranolol is frequently used to treat hypertension; in some patients, it depresses myocardial function as an adverse reaction. This side effect may be related to the inhibition by propranolol of CoQ10-enzymes of the myocardium. Timolol showed negligible inhibition of the CoQ10-enzyme, NADH-oxidase. Metoprolol was less inhibitory than propranolol. Five alprenolols showed inhibition which approached that of propranolol. The 1-isomer of alprenolol showed weak inhibition of another CoQ10-enzyme, succinoxidase, but the other beta-blockers were essentially non-inhibitory to this enzyme. The drug of choice is timolol, based on negligible inhibition of these bioenergetic enzymes of the heart, which correlates with its pharmacologically low cardiac depressant effects.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Helen

oh not good. I hope my Clonidine isnt lowering mine. I know I get severe bad reactions with statins (to the point Im brainless to the point I cant function after a dose) probably due to how much they lower this.

Hi taniaaust, I think your problems with certain medications could be explained by your mutations. If you have a look at the comments in the physician´s copy you can see comments on statins and betablockers and CYP2D6 polymorphism (that you have).

http://www.de-poort.be/cgi-bin/Document.pl?id=142

Last edited:

heapsreal

Dr's best q10 from Iherb is cheap. 100mgx120 for $13. Works out cheaper per mg then taking stronger pills. Shipping $8. Couple bottles melatonin and q10 make it worth your while ??

Violeta

I have just read this from wikipedia on Q10 and thought i would share as its relevant to us.
Many of us know cholesterol meds such as statins lower q10 levels but also beta blockers and some other blood pressure meds do to by interfering with the way Q10 is synthesized.

The way i read into this is that one shouldnt just stop these meds without talking to their docs but maybe consider supplementing Q10 if on these meds. I know beta blockers are commonly used for pots/oi, so just something to consider if on these meds.

Inhibition by statins and beta blockers[edit]
CoQ10 shares a biosynthetic pathway with cholesterol. The synthesis of an intermediary precursor of CoQ10, mevalonate, is inhibited by some beta blockers, blood pressure-lowering medication,[25] and statins, a class of cholesterol-lowering drugs.[26] Statins can reduce serum levels of CoQ10 by up to 40%.[27] Some research suggests the logical option of supplementation with CoQ10 as a routine adjunct to any treatment that may reduce endogenous production of CoQ10, based on a balance of likely benefit against very small risk.[28][29]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenzyme_Q10

Just read that EBV interferes with mevalonate pathway, too.

http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1000598