• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Complete remission of symptoms when I have hay fever - anyone else had this?

Asklipia

I will be able to confirm if it was really the RS in bananas that was causing problems.
I have doubts now. It could well be methyl bromide from treating the soil where they grow. That is a huge thyroid disruptor.
In retrospect, I did not get the same effect from ALL types of bananas. Only from some I bought from some shops.
See here.
Strawberries also have hypothyroid effects.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Strange. When I and my husband were still suffering from ME/CFS, eating bananas or strawberries for a couple of days would trigger a relapse. There is something there other than the sugar. Eating apples/pears/grapes and others would have no noticeable effect.

I suppose this is an allergic response. However in our previous lives we had not been allergic to bananas and strawberries. And now we can eat both with no problems.

Could this have something to do with potassium and the potassium channel? I haven't eaten strawberries for years because they make me nauseous and itchy.

meadowlark

I'm very late to this thread, but here goes... I don't get hay fever, but I got a flu that mimics a sinus condition about five months ago. After a very intense start, it faded to the medium to mild infection I have now...and my immune system can't seem to get on top of it. Meanwhile, I compared notes with two friends who have seasonal allergies, and I was/still am feeling more or less what they do each spring and early summer.

It is remarkable to me that my daily migraine and muscle inflammation/throbbing/ pounding completely disappeared with the start of this "sinus condition." I hope it lasts forever,*** because for five months it's been the best pain killer I've ever had. Sinus pain, itchy eyes, sneezing and the rest is nothing to compared to the level of pain I'd been sustaining. (It was so intense that I'd been prescribed various morpiates as well as medical marijuana--none of which helped me in the least.)

It's an odd dynamic, isn't it?

*** Well, I guess I should be careful what I wish for.

Thanks, Meadowlark, still useful and interesting. I also had that same "careful what you wish for" with the hay fever - was really glad at first, but then got a bit tired of sneezing and feeling sleepy all the time. Hardly a side-effect free treatment!

Hip shared some docs (first page of the thread) about how some types of immune responses - including allergic but not only allergic - might stimulate CD8+ T cells. If I remember rightly, these are the ones that Klimas and others have suggested might be ineffective in people with CFS, leading them to have poorer ability to control reactivation of latent viruses like EBV. There's a bit on this here:

http://simmaronresearch.com/2014/05...nity-hypothesis-fit-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

So perhaps if we can stimulate them with something that is relatively non-threatening and self limiting (like hay fever or a mild cold), we get a temporary benefit.

Another, less interesting possibility is that we may only get these mild reactions (colds, hay fever) when our MECFS is in partial remission. So it might be that rather than causing the remission, they are the result of it. Impossible to tease this apart, because if the two go together, either could be true.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Just looking at some of my old test results and CD8 was elevated as well as CD3+CD16+CD56
also CD3+HLADR+
Some are related to allergies, but I don't understand I lot of it. I intend to get some further info from my doc when I see them.

lansbergen

Levamisole , then 150 mg twice a week ( 150 mg for 2 consecutive days once a week - a more aggressive but toxic variant).

Mine probably is even more agressive. I take 100mg everyday.

place

Be Strong!
Sorry haven't read the whole thread but wanted to put my 2cents in

I love getting a cold!!!' After the initial two days I feel great, energy up, body is relaxed mind is wide open. It ain't right!!!!

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Sorry haven't read the whole thread but wanted to put my 2cents in

I love getting a cold!!!' After the initial two days I feel great, energy up, body is relaxed mind is wide open. It ain't right!!!!

I used to feel great when I had a cold or flu in the early days of ME. Now I don't seem to get them at all, so don't get that lovely reminder of what it's like to feel almost well!

Tammy

Ditto @place about loving to get a cold! I feel so much better and sleep better also. God............I feel like the answer is just staring me in the face.

Seadragon

@Inester7 - I also have had partial remission of many symptoms with mild cold viruses - can you explain what immune modulator they put you on for this as I didn't understand the first time?! Did any doctor you saw have an explanation or theory for this phenomenon?

Thanks, Bunchy x

Leopardtail

When I first got ME I was allergic to a vast range of stuff, as it progressed I got more chemical intolerances (light headedness) and longer 'common colds'. I do find with infection my thyroid pattern symptoms improve.

Leopardtail

I have doubts now. It could well be methyl bromide from treating the soil where they grow. That is a huge thyroid disruptor.
In retrospect, I did not get the same effect from ALL types of bananas. Only from some I bought from some shops.
See here.
Strawberries also have hypothyroid effects.
Strawberrries have issues with bromide used as a pesticide too, it was mentioned at the thyroid summit.

Leopardtail

One obvious question comes up here re supplements that help this:
Has anyone here come up with a way of keeping track of the severity of allergy symptoms?

roller

wiggle jiggle
i also looked into the allergy thing - as i miracously are allergy free... even though, i have every other stupid stuff.

haha - so much was said about levamisole ... its a dewormer... end off.
none of them are equal or acting exactly the same.
levamisole goes into the head, perhaps more than others.
its unique, too, and belongs to a protocol. therefore. imo.

the th2-allergy difference...
the helminth th2 response overloads with TREGS.
the allergy th2 response does not.

the TREGS, massivley activate Glia cells - perhaps cause more brain fog, fatigue?
helminths harbor a big interest in a high TREG number (forgot why)

i now twice took 'linden' alcohol extract and also applied it onto the face. not sure if the latter is really a good idea.
i will take it further.
everything in ethanol may be good too, as faik it activates TH1.

birch pollen may be the strongest allergen.
but difficult to source it seems.
all other tree-flowers may be good too.

Last edited:

OverTheHills

Hi there,

This is my first post, although I’ve been following the forum for a few years now. I felt moved to write myself because I’ve noticed something important about my CFS that might be of use to other people.

Here it is: When the pollen is high here in New Zealand in the spring, and my hay fever kicks in, I remain well the entire time till it passes. In fact, during this hay fever period, I can even do quite strenuous exercise (1 hour walks daily). In fact, if not for the hay fever itself (runny nose, drowsiness etc.), I’d even say my health is 100% back to normal. As soon as the hay fever passes, things go back to crap again. If I could only bottle whatever pollen is causing the hay fever, I’d have my own personal cure!

Its as though the hay fever has a some sort of protective effect, as though it induces some change to my immune system that is helpful.
@Woolie I don't know how I managed to miss this thread originally but, going back to your original post, I too get near complete remission during regularly during late spring/early summer both in NZ and in UK.

I live in NZ now but sometimes travel to the UK in May and will get the substantial improvement within a day of arriving.

Like you I assume that the hayfever type of allergy is protective (but I do not find skin or food reactions produce any improvement).

I am in contact with someone from Metservice about which pollen types might be relevant (checking whether there is anything other than grass that might be involved).

I am thinking I might try to extend my hayfever season artificially and assess the impact on my ME. Please PM me for more details if interested as I know you are nearby.

OTH
PS like others on the rare occasions I get a cold, my ME is much better for a short time

Hi @OTH, since writing that post, I've started to think that maybe the relationship is the other way around: I get the hayfever because I have a bit of a remission. Reason for thinking that is I don't get hayfever every season. Have spent a lot of the summer around outdoor places and no hay fever at all. The same last summer.

Would still like to see if I can make it happen, though, so will PM you. We're supposed to live in the hay fever and allergy capital of the world here!

The other thing you say is interesting. I also get a remission after a long haul flight, but dot' think I've ever travelled in May. Always thought it was the physical stress which somehow dampens the symptoms for a bit. Like I'm getting a big kick of cortisol or something? (bizarrely, jumping into ice cold water has a similar effect for me, used to do it in bad times when I was younger, but not sure I have the bottle for it now).

Ditto for colds - if I'm lucky enough to get one, it staves off the ME crap for the duration. Wish I could make them to order.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi @Woolie - so strange to have just stumbled on this thread as I have been thinking about this a lot recently (not the cold/flu thing, that just makes me feel even worse and always causes a massive M.E crash, although I have gone from catching everything to the last few years catching nothing).

I have developed mast cell activation disease/syndrome over the past year more severely. I also have regular IGE allergies. most especially to dust and nickel. over a year ago a dose of doxycycline caused severe widespread itching that is now only controlled by daily antihistamine dosing, plus a mast cell stabilizer. Even then I still get breakthrough itching and other MCAS reactions to things, although I don't get anaphylaxis I have had fainting fits and seizures as reactions as well. My main mast cell reactions that increase the itching are drugs, herbs, supplements and some foods. I am also sensitive to chemicals, all strong smells, perfumes, smoke etc.

What I have noticed over the past year is that whenever my itching reaction to a drug is at its most intense I have mini M.E remisssions and feel much better than normal. When the itching finally doies down - takes a few weeks normally - then my fatihue especially creeps back in and I can end up back in bed for a week or so recovering.

At first I thought it was just a coincidence, or that I was being crazy, but it has happened enough times now that I can see there appears to be a direct correlation. MCAS is a complex illness and overall it is important to reduce reactions as much as possible, as they can be dangerous and generally undermine health, which can be accumulative. I CERTAINLY WOULDN WANT TO PURPOSELY TRIGGER ITCHING JUST SO I COULD FEEL BETTER (oops caps lock! not shouting) as it is unbearable and I cant sleep, which also gradually wears me down.

But I have noticed it and keep wondering why this is happening, especially since taking a mast cell stabiliser has also helped with some of the M.E symtpoms. Am seeing KDM in two weeks so will ask him what he thinks about this - but it is a definite immune shift of some kind.

daisybell

I'm really interested in the remission after a long haul flight phenomenon. This happened to me in May when I went back to the uk for 6 weeks. I gradually improved over the first couple of weeks to a much better level of functioning - and plateaued at that level. Unfortunately after I came back home to NZ that improvement has disappeared again.
Might it be the shake up to the body clock and cortisol levels? I've only had it going back to the UK which is where I am from originally.....might that be a factor?