• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intermittent claudication / Problems standing and walking

deleder2k

I have a M.E, and one of my worst symptoms is the inability to stand or walk for longer periods. After walking or standing for a period of time, I feel like i am constantly stretching out my leg when I am sitting or laying. It usually come with cramps with pain. Is this the same as intermittent claudication? I have read a lot about M.E, but it doesn't seem that most people suffer from the same degree of problems standing/walking.

I have heard that beta blockers could work out. I use 20 mg when my pulse increases to 85++. My normal pulse rate is in the lower 60's. At 85++ I feel like I am having trouble breathing and it feels like running when I am watching TV. Blah.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Helen

Hi, no I doubt you have intermittent claudication. It is caused by atherosclerosis. The tipical symptom is that you have to make a pause after walking a while because of too low blood supply to your calves or muscles in general.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...imedia/intermittent-claudication/img-20008123

I think you should be checked by a neurologist, or get a thorough neurological examination..

I have had cramps due to magnesium deficiency and Lyme disease. The former rather easy to treat ( try a double dose of magnesium and see if it eases the cramps) and the latter another story...

deleder2k

Thank you. I will check that out. I have been on triple magnesium dose for months with no effect.

xchocoholic

Problems standing and walking can be from ataxia. Have you had a Rhomberg test ? If you have ataxia, you'll want to look into gluten ataxia. Many of us are sensitive to gluten. Tc .. x

TrixieStix

I have a M.E, and one of my worst symptoms is the inability to stand or walk for longer periods. After walking or standing for a period of time, I feel like i am constantly stretching out my leg when I am sitting or laying. It usually come with cramps with pain. Is this the same as intermittent claudication? I have read a lot about M.E, but it doesn't seem that most people suffer from the same degree of problems standing/walking.

I have heard that beta blockers could work out. I use 20 mg when my pulse increases to 85++. My normal pulse rate is in the lower 60's. At 85++ I feel like I am having trouble breathing and it feels like running when I am watching TV. Blah.

Anyone experiencing the same?
Did you ever figure out the cause for your symptoms? I too have symptoms like those of peripheral artery disease/claudification. I am 37 and my symptoms started a couple years ago. My husband has to get behind me and push me up stairs/inclines because of the weakness and heaviness doing those things causes in my left leg. I also cannot stand for very long.