• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Living Despite It All (featured in Germany's leading newspaper)

Hi!

I wanted to share the English translation of this ME article published in Germany's FAZ.NET (akin to the NYTimes). It was featured on the homepage on May 19. The translation appears on the same page as the German original.

It's a quite personal and thought-provoking piece that resonated deeply with German PWME. I hope it speaks to you too.

Click on this link, scroll to the end of the German text, and that's where the English starts:

http://blogs.faz.net/10vor8/2014/05/19/wie-man-trotzdem-lebt-2-1470/

There's such a dearth of media attention or understanding of ME in Germany--not to mention the forcible holding of severe ME cases in psych wards--that any accurate or empathic reporting is desperately needed. Ideally, the more hits this piece gets, the more the FAZ will be encouraged to pursue future ME coverage.

Thanks for reading!
Elpee

Last edited:
Oh! My apologies for not introducing myself yet. I am new here. I have been ill for over 11 years, but was diagnosed only in year 7, by which point I had become housebound and mostly bed-bound. I live in Berlin. Treatment options here are redunk. I sometimes go underground for months, I sometimes exist into a haze of online activity. I do little drawings. Lately I am trying to write again. I have a cat. And I might just be the "American cousin" in the German article. Possibly.

Last edited:

*GG*

Oh! My apologies for not introducing myself yet. I am new here. I have been ill for over 11 years, but was diagnosed only in year 7, by which point I had become housebound and mostly bed-bound. I live in Berlin. Treatment options here are redunk. I sometimes go underground for months, I sometimes exist into a haze of online activity. I do little drawings. Lately I am trying to write again. I love my cat. And I might just be the "cousin" in the piece posted above. Possibly.

I hit the link and thought it would be in English. Using Google browser, so thought it would prompt me for translation, but it did not. How do I get it to translate?

GG

I hit the link and thought it would be in English. Using Google browser, so thought it would prompt me for translation, but it did not. How do I get it to translate?

Hi GG!

Scroll to the bottom of the German text and the English begins with the title: Living Despite It All

Elpee

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
@Elpeee - Welcome!

Thanks so much for posting the link and for doing the English translation (with your friend) for us.

PS. I love the photo of you and your kitty, Leopold! (that is you, yes? ;) ) And all the lovely drawings.

Last edited:
@Elpeee - Welcome!

Thanks so much for posting the link and for doing the English translation (with your friend) for us.

PS. I love the photo of you and your kitty, Leopold! (that is you, yes? ;) ) And all the lovely drawings.

Yes. That's me and Leopold' Though more often I make my appearances two-dimensionally, in black and white. :)

Thank you for liking!