• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oil Pulling (Ayurvedic Technique) for Oral and Sinus Issues...

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Because grapefruit is a cytochrome P450 inhibitor? If that's the case then some medications can take a day or longer to clear the system. Your medication might be short acting, but if anyone's taking Prozac it's half life is at least 2-3 days and can take over a week to clear the system. Of course on the plus side, P450 inhibitors also increase the potency of your supplements. Bioperene is added to many supplements to "enhance absorption", but this is partially because it's a P450 inhibitor. I've been taking coenzyme q10 that has bioperene added to it, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to take it or not. This is something I've been struggling with ever since learning about CYP450. Even if a person isn't taking any prescription drugs, taking P450 inhibitors can reduce your body's ability to detoxify. We are all exposed to hazardous chemicals such as xenoestrogens (also natural estrogens) and our bodies are constantly trying to eliminate them partially with the P450 enzymes. BTW, males also have plenty of naturally produced estrogen that can be toxic if not metabolized properly. This from Rich

Yes, because grapefruit is a P450 inhibitor. The jury is out about grapefruit seed extract--I have read conflicting opinions, but in my experience is does seem to be, so yes, it is important to consider the half lives of the drugs you are taking.

Sushi

Lotus97

Yes, because grapefruit is a P450 inhibitor. The jury is out about grapefruit seed extract--I have read conflicting opinions, but in my experience is does seem to be, so yes, it is important to consider the half lives of the drugs you are taking.

Sushi
I've read conflicting reports about grapefruit seed extract also, but I'll take your experience into consideration.

Lotus97

In one of my previous posts I suggested neem oil. I noticed that some brands say that it's external use only, but I've seen at least one that can be used internally. If you're not swallowing the oil I'm not sure it matters.

Asklipia

One Indian friend over 70 years old tells me that they used to swallow a very small cup of neem oil for deworming every year. She remembers it as AWFUL!
But it worked.
She is a pharmacist, born in a South Indian pharmacist family.
This is not a recommendation that you do the same!

Lotus97

One Indian friend over 70 years old tells me that they used to swallow a very small cup of neem oil for deworming every year. She remembers it as AWFUL!
But it worked.
She is a pharmacist, born in a South Indian pharmacist family.
This is not a recommendation that you do the same!
Wait, are you saying we all have worms?

cigana

I oil pull every day - it greatly reduces the number of spots on my skin, so it is clearly helping with detoxification somehow. As soon as I stop, the spots come back. After starting again, within a couple of day they start to go. It really is amazing.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I started oil pulling with coconut oil 3-4 times a day last Saturday after a terrible run of sinus headaches six days in a row. I haven't had a sinus headache since (fingers crossed) and I normally get two a week, but obviously it's too soon to tell if this is just coincidence.

I read Bruce Fife's book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oil-Pulling...g+and+healing+the+body+through+oral+cleansing

He makes a case that it used to be established that if you had poor dental health it caused illness elsewhere in the body through germs travelling through the blood (I'm simplifying - it's very interesting stuff). He says oil-pulling is beneficial for health because bacteria (can't remember if it's also viruses and fungi) have a lipid shell and so 'stick' to oil. If you swish oil around your mouth and in between your teeth, it pulls them out into the oil and when you spit the oil out, you're removing shedloads of microbes from your mouth and your immune system now has a chance of keeping on top of things.

He has some spectacular recovery stories from all sorts of conditions - I never know what to make of that kind of thing but it's another of these therapies that's never going to get trialled because it can't be patented so I've decided to give it a month's trial, at least, and see what happens.

And I'm sure my teeth are very clean now! :D:D:D

And another question: I have seen an Oil Pulling thread at this forum, I prefer to ask here:

Has anybody any positive experience with regular oil pulling according to Ayurveda (preferably sesame, or sunflower oil, first thing in the morning, keep swishing for 20 minutes, never swallow, always before eating, up to 3x a day)?

Tired of being sick

I have been doing (solid) coconut oil pulling for about three weeks now..

What it has done for me..

Pulls all the toxins and bacteria from my mouth and throat
so well that I could stop brushing and mouth wash for the fact it takes all my bad breath away
but I still brush regularly..

It also helps me feel a little better from the my flu like symptoms from CFS/ME

They claim oil pulling will whiten teeth
cure diseases
and has been practiced since Ancient times
I don't really believe the diseases part but its definitely good for what I said above

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've been doing oil-pulling (with coconut oil) for six weeks now, first thing on waking and 2-4 times a day in total. No improvement or any kind of noticeable change, unfortunately.

roxie60

Started oil pulling today. Edit: I'm using unrefined organic coconut oil. I personally dont like to eat anything with coconut using as a swish is not a problem.

also testing ph and drinking water with real lemon jn effort to be less acidic.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Sasha are you still oil pulling? What do you think if you stuck with? I just started and will hopefully remember to update my experience and opionion in 30 days.

Hi Roxie - yes, I'm carrying on with it even though I've seen no obvious results. I'd like to at least keep doing it until my next appointment with my dental hygienist in October to see if it has reduced the amount of plaque she usually has to hack off! I think it's plausible that there's a link between oral health and other conditions (the one between gum disease and heart disease isn't controversial, I think) so even if I don't see any results for my ME it's probably a good habit to keep in the long run.

roxie60

Still oil pulling 2-3 times per week. No issues to report or improvement insymps. Just makes my mouth feel cleaner.

I dont buy the 'oil turns white because of toxins being pulled', rather seems to turn white due to probable increased oxygen, imo.

Will keep doing it for a couple months before drawing conclusions.

Mr. Cat

Hi Oil-pullers,

I experimented with this for 2-3 months on the recommendation of my acupuncturist. I decided to go off it for a month, as I read some posts on here about leeching minerals, and I had a minor brain-fog crash that coincided with the latter part of the oil pulling, so I wanted to see what it would be like to go off it. My acupuncturist thought it would only leech the bad stuff, but not the good stuff, and said not to worry. I will probably go back on it for another trial in a few weeks.

Other than the minor crash (which I think was coincidental and didn't really have anything to do with the oil-pulling), I had no negative side effects. My teeth might have been a little cleaner, and maybe whiter, but maybe not - I will pay more attention to this if I start it up again. No noticeable positive effects CFS-wise, though.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've been doing it at least first thing in the morning and often several times a day. I didn't notice any improvements - I've been having a bad patch for the last six weeks or so. Don't know if the two things are connected but I've decided to stop for a while.

Hanna

After 1.5 months of Minocycline, my teeth changed colour (greyish !:( ) Though I had some good oral hygiene and brushed my teeth like crazy. This side effect was reported only for children under 8!
I tryed the oil pulling technique yesterday (without much hope) and I have noticed a major improvement. Will continue and report...

lizw118

Hi everyone,
I have been trying to do oil pulling once or twice a day with organic sesame oil and then today with organic coconut. The first couple of tries I felt okay but since then I actually feel worse--very exhausted and my sinus inflammation and brain inflammation seem worse. I am also less able to concentrate. Am I dislodging some mercury or bad bacteria that I can't expel quickly enough? I am trying to rinse my mouth out thoroughly but I am not sure if this is a good practice for me. Any advice?
Thanks
Liz