• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cheap shampoo, conditioner for those who have MCS

taniaaust1

Ive used natural ones of these for years, unfortunately they are heaps more expensive then regular shampoos etc. I recently thou found something cheap which works! For me this is now working just as well as my expensive natural products I was previously buying.

(with the following ..be aware it may take several weeks for your hair to adjust to using these things).

For shampoo.. use 1Tablespoon of baking soda (also known as bi-carb soda) in a cup of water.. rub throu hair, leave on 1 minute then rinse well (if its too harsh on your hair use a little less)

For conditioner (also detangles hair) use 1 Tablespoon of vinegar (many prefer apple cider vinegar and that's what Ive been using but white vinegar apparently works too) in a glass of water. Put this throu your hair (pour on slowly rubbing it in or use a spray bottle). Leave it in the hair for 1min then rinse well.

For any dry ends,. I use 1 tsp of coconut oil rubbed into them (sometimes I use a bit more).

I had an itchy scalp (sometimes get a bit of dandruff)..and doing all this fixed that too, the very first time I did all this.

I had to share this as Im getting amazing results with this very cheap way to keep my hair good.

xchocoholic

I'm using all natural DISH soaps. Earth Friendly apricot or Seventh Generation lavender I think.

Earth friendly is a little oilier than the 7th so I switch back and forth.

I had reactions to so many shampoos that i just stopped trying them.

Dove hair spray works for me and the last time I looked it was GF.

I'll have to try the bs sometime. tx .. x

taniaaust1

Ive been experimenting with making my own dry shampoo up with just using baking soda (baking powder, bicarb soda) mixed with cocoa powder (as I have dark hair).

Just brush a small amount (eg dip brush into it) into any oily patches of hair (its a miracle for getting rid of the oil) Doing this, I can go at least extra 5 days so far without washing my hair (which using a little bit more on any oily patches which further develop. First time I did this it seemed harsh on my hair ..it went all frizzy.. so I then used a couple of drops of coconut oil to smooth it all down.

My hair after doing this for week (i only had to smooth the whole lot down with a couple of drops of coconut oil once or twice), seems to have now adapted to my using a wee bit of bicarb mixed with cocoa every second day on the top of my head and then running some coconut oil just onto the ends of my hair where its dryer. (today my hair is actually better then 4 days ago, today my long thick hair has gone actually soft with this no wash technique..strange)

. Anyway.. Im seeing how long I can do this without having to wash my hair.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I've been using a perfume-free, petrochemical-free washing-up liquid to wash my hair - for years! There seems to be little or no essential difference between shampoo and washing-up liquid except the price. I have often had compliments on my hair, even when I just used any cheap washing-up liquid, although the henna helps with the condition too. People are somewhat dumbstruck when they find I use washing-up liquid rather than shampoo.

I used to just use bicarbonate of soda, in like a paste it certainly cleaned my hair! I would then use avocado oil or coconut oil to condition it.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
EWG{Environmental Working Group} has a website called EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database.
They list what ingredients are toxic and which products have what in them and rate them on how safe they are. They also rate the reliability of the information/ scientific information to confirm that information.
It's very interesting site and I've found it very useful in checking out products.
You can look through categories or search specific products.
The cover shampoo/conditioners, skin care, soap, toothpaste , make up and more.
I was surprised that some "natural" products had more harmful stuff then some more commercial products. Of course that's just in some instances.
I hope this helps.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@beaker
its a brilliant site but so much information - too overwhelming for me, good if you are up to it though.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Mane and Tail shampoo is moderately priced and gentle. As the name suggests, it was originally made for horses, so does not have a lot of junk in it. So many horse owners were using it for themselves that the company decided to market it to people as well.