• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Invest in ME International Conference 30th May 2014, London

Kate_UK

http://www.investinme.org/IIME-Newslet-1309-02 Conf Events14.htm

The Biomedical Research into ME Collaborative Meeting will take place on 29th May in London and precedes the annual Invest in ME biomedical research conference. The 2013 BRMEC meeting had participants from nine countries attending.
The 9th Invest in ME International ME conference in London on 30th May will again allow a platform for the latest biomedical research into ME from around the world - Mainstreaming ME Research.

Ember

Keynote Speech at IIMEC9
Professor Jonathan Edwards, Emeritus Professor of Connective Tissue Medicine at University College London (UCL)

Professor Edwards will provide a keynote speech at IIMEC9 in London in May.

Professor Edwards will also be co-chair of the Biomedical Research into ME Collaborative research seminar on the day preceding the conference.

Professor Edwards is IiME's advisor.

See the IiME/UCL rituximab clinical trial project
Let's Do It for ME comments here.
Read More

Kate_UK

Additional speaker announced;

An additional speaker added to the line-up is Professor Carmen Scheibenbogen, Professor for Immunology and Deputy Chair Institute of Medical Immunology Berlin Charit�, Germany.

Professor Scheibenbogen spoke at IIMEC8 in 2013 and recently published a paper - "Deficient EBV-Specific B- and T-Cell Response in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" published by PLOS One- which found evidence of immune deficiency in a subset of ME patients.

That paper is being discussed here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...patients-with-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.27634/

Kate_UK

Another speaker announced!

Professor Simon Carding

His scientific interests are in understanding how the immune response in the gut functions and in particular, is able to distinguish between the commensal microbes that reside in the gut and environmental microbes that cause disease, and in the mechanisms by which the body�s immune system no longer ignores or tolerates commensal gut bacteria and how this leads to immune system activation and inflammatory bowel disease.

Kate_UK

Two more speakers!
We welcome Professor Angela Vincent, Emeritus Professor of Neuroimmunology at the University of Oxford. She has vast experience in neuroimmunology and runs the Clinical Neuroimmunology service which is an international referral centre for the measurement of antibodies in neurological diseases. Her major interest is in the role of autoimmunity in neurological diseases, including multiple sclerosis and auto-antibody mediated ion channel and receptor disorders.

and

Dr Amolak Bansal will also return to provide an overview of diagnosis and treatment in UK and will lead a panel to discuss diagnosis and treatments for ME.
Dr Bansal is heavily involved in the research being funded by Invest in ME and is the consultant leading the CFS service at Epsom and St Helier Hospitals Trust in Surrey.

http://www.investinme.eu/agenda.html
Excellent stuff, I am throwing all my money at Invest in ME, for they spend it wisely.

tickets are discounted prices until 12th March 2014

Last edited:

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Another speaker

Professor Jonas Blomberg - Infection-induced autoimmunity in ME

http://www.investinme.eu/agenda.html#Conference_Programme

This looks interesting. If proven, subsets of ME labelled people have a chronic infection driven mitochondrial (ATP) disease resulting on overwhelming energy disorder of mind and body via a novel autoimmune process yet to be understood.

What interests me even more, is the additional question if not just Chlamydia Pneumoniae can create an inflammatory process against HSP's, but other pathogens too, including Borrelia (Chronic Lyme patients are often riddled with Chlamydia Pneumoniae).

Mitochondrial toxins are proposed by some as being associated to chronic neurological diseases, such as Parkinson's.

The pieces of the puzzle are slowly assembling, at a snails pace, but still assembling.

Perhaps when we're approaching the menopause or more senior years since being left neglected as children and blamed for our disease and left to rot as malingers, we'll get recognition and then breathe a sigh of relief we are finally accepted as genuine seriously ill people, during which the people who kept us sick via disinformation, retire on a healthy pension and accolades. (This is presumably why they win awards for their services to CFS).

High quality scientific research is always exciting to learn about. It's such a breath of fresh air to experience in the current atmosphere of toxic lies of CBT and Exercise making patients feel better, when by definition, it must make them worse if they have an infection driven autoimmune disease that attacks mitochondrial heat shock proteins.

Kate_UK

another speaker announced!

Dr Julian Blanco

Leader of the Irsi Caixa Research Institute's Cell Virology and Immunology Research Group, Barcelona, Spain
The IrsiCaixa Institute for AIDS Research IRSI Caixa works alongside the most prestigious international research centres, and its publications are among those with the most impact in their field.

Dr Blanco has vast experience in HIV related research but has also been involved in ME/CFS research as in 2013 his group published the paper , Screening NK-, B- and T-cell phenotype and function in patients suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Curriu et al. Journal of Translational Medicine 2013, 11:68.

Kate_UK

This conference programme http://www.investinme.eu/agenda.html needs to be in front of as many doctors as possible. Even if they are unlikely to attend, just that programme lets them know where ME research currently is heading. I'm printing out the conference programme and sending it to my local GP surgery.

Also, please vote for Invest in ME to win £2000 here. You know they'll spend the money wisely! You can vote online from anywhere

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitPromotions/BigBreak2014/Pages/CauseDetail.aspx?CauseId=196

You can vote online from anywhere, and if you're in the UK you can vote by text too.
text BIG BREAK 0196 to 78866