• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scientific Perversion of the Year Award

Bob

My nomination.

To the PACE trial authors (P. D. White, K. Goldsmith, A. L. Johnson, T. Chalder and M. Sharpe; PACE Trial Management Group) who redefined 'recovery' to mean a possible deterioration in health and function (after treatment), and to indicate 'severe' and 'substantial' physical impairment.

Are there any other nominations?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
My nomination.

To the PACE trial authors (P. D. White, K. Goldsmith, A. L. Johnson, T. Chalder and M. Sharpe; PACE Trial Management Group) who redefined 'recovery' to mean a possible deterioration in health and function (after treatment), and to indicate 'severe' and 'substantial' physical impairment.

Are there any other nominations?

Can I just second yours? :)

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Please, Sir, in view of the fact that this is Christmas Eve Day, may I be allowed to humbly propose an appropriate trophy for this prestigious award?*

A statue of a notoriously slippery varmint; and may the honorary title be bestowed upon it:

"The Weasel"

Apparently I'm not the only one for whom Christmas time brings out the inner Puck, and as a wise man once (allegedly) said -- "Joke 'em if they can't take a Puck."

*This is invoking the spirit of Tiny Tim from "A Christmas Carol" (and Tiny Tim jokes are generally pretty lame)

MeSci

Please, Sir, in view of the fact that this is Christmas Eve Day, may I be allowed to humbly propose an appropriate trophy for this prestigious award?*

A statue of a notoriously slippery varmint; and may the honorary title be bestowed upon it:

"The Weasel"

Apparently I'm not the only one for whom Christmas time brings out the inner Puck, and as a wise man once (allegedly) said -- "Joke 'em if they can't take a Puck."

*This is invoking the spirit of Tiny Tim from "A Christmas Carol" (and Tiny Tim jokes are generally pretty lame)

I don't like him being called a weasel. Weasels are great little creatures:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Least_Weasel

I challenged people in another thread to come up with a good anagram of the chief psychoquack's name. I'm still trying, and also with the names of other ones.

Any suggestions? Or should I make this another thread?

MeSci

I was quite sympathetic to your thoughts about Weasels, until I watched the second video in the link that you provided: "A nest raider attacks the final reed warbler fledgling." (Don't watch it.)

I don't like seeing animals being killed, but I accept that carnivorous animals have to do it to survive.

Psychoquacks have no such excuse for killing patients.

It was also this year that Peter White released his paper condemning ME/CFS patient groups, but where his two quotes of unreasonable views both came from One Click... which isn't an ME/CFS patient group:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/paper-by-white-reviewed-by-wessely.21689/

There's also this Peter White paper where they choose to have rather higher standards for findings which went against their prejudices:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ldhood-cognitive-ability-and-somatic-s.26753/

We found an association between higher cognitive ability and self-reported CFS/ME, which was in contrast to our hypothesis. Since the association was only found when additionally adjusting for psychological symptoms and since it was rather small, we might consider this as a chance finding.

I still think that the redefinition of 'recovery' in PACE, and the refuse to allow patients access to the results for the recovery criteria laid out in the trial's protocol, is my favorite example of CFS quackery for the year, but Peter White's other work should not be forgotten.

I still think that the redefinition of 'recovery' in PACE, and the refuse to allow patients access to the results for the recovery criteria laid out in the trial's protocol, is my favorite example of CFS quackery for the year, but Peter White's other work should not be forgotten.
Maybe we can have runners-up, or honorable mentions?

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Catch 22 aka Contradiction Award. To K. Sebelius for not funding scientific ME/CFS studies b/c there's "no money" , and at the same time spending{wasting} over a million on a committee to review scientific data {that for the most part hasn't been confirmed in follow up studies published in peer review journals because of lack of funding to do the studies} to come up with a new case definition that 50 world renowned experts {who do the research} have said isn't necessary and more scientific studies will show the biomarkers that will do the fine tuning of the CCC{which they universally agree to accept} Oh and turning down requests for funding studies that would provide new studies and new evidence and afore mentioned confirmation studies, that would make the IOM committee obsolete.

Help ! I confused myself. Trying to rewrite it for an hour. I give. Maybe someone can work on the wording? I think you know what I was trying to get at. Thanks.

SilverbladeTE

I don't like him being called a weasel. Weasels are great little creatures:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Least_Weasel

I challenged people in another thread to come up with a good anagram of the chief psychoquack's name. I'm still trying, and also with the names of other ones.

Any suggestions? Or should I make this another thread?

Hm, what about....
Roid-rodents ?
Colon Hamsters?
Fud ferrets?
Knob strutting smug rats?

:sluggish:

MeSci

I've got some anagrams for Peter White:

The wee trip
Hit wet peer
The wet pier

Must try to do some better ones.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Perhaps limiting him to the malevolent cartoon weasel genre would help.
I confess I find the real thing awful cute.