• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

News from the CDC: chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and standardized patient videos - a novel approach

Dolphin

Free full text (2 pages) at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3830016/

This was published recently:

Transl Behav Med. 2013 Dec;3(4):338-339.

News from the CDC: chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and standardized patient videos - a novel approach to educating medical students about CFS.

Brimmer DJ, Campbell C, Bonner K, Lin JM.

Source

Chronic Viral Diseases Branch, Division of High-Consequence Pathogens and Pathology,, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd., MS-G41, Atlanta, GA 30333 USA ; McKing Consulting Corporation, 2900 Chamblee Tucker Road Building 10, Suite 100, Atlanta, GA 30341 USA.

PMID: 24294321 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] PMCID: PMC3830016

ETA: Basically, what is being referred to is the first educational module at: http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/education/ from what I can see.

Last edited:

Dolphin

The paper is all about submitting educational material/videos to www.mededportal.org .

I couldn't find anything there under Publications (I think they are submitting stuff), nor iCollaborative.

There are two entries under CE directory. I think they're the same:

Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
Format: Curriculum
Released: June 27, 2012
Primary Author:
Institution:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
ce_thumbnail-data.jpg

Introduce participants to the CFS case definition, illustrate the diagnosis process, and review management of the illness....

Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
Format: Curriculum
Released: June 28, 2012
Primary Author:
Institution:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
ce_thumbnail-data.jpg

Introduce participants to the CFS case definition, illustrate the diagnosis process, and review management of the illness....

Following the links on these brings one to:
cdc.train.org.

One has to register here.

After registering, I got three results from searching for "chronic fatigue syndrome", two of which I think are the same:
course_credit.gif

Sleep Problems in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) (Web-based) - WB1889CourseCenters for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
(2)

4.5 out of 5 stars
course_credit.gif

Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) (Web-based) - WB1888CourseCenters for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
(18)

4.5 out of 5 stars
course_credit.gif

Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) (Web-based) - WB1888CourseCDC-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(2)

0.0 out of 5 stars

Last edited:

Dolphin

Below is the page for the first result:

The link isn't working for me.

But I searched the CDC site and this is the link: http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/education/sleep/index.html

Course ID:1034201 Format:Web-based Training - Self-study (Online) Clinical / Non-Clinical:Clinical Course Number:1034201 Cost (US$):0.00
Credit Type(s):0.1 CEU/CE; 1 CME; 1 CNE Contact Hours Certificate:Course Description:
s.gif
Sleep Problems in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) (Web-based)Course Number: WB1889
CE expiration date: April 4, 2014

Accreditation StatementsFor Continuing Medical Education for Physicians (CME): The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME®) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention designates this web-based activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.

Continuing Education designated for Non-Physicians: Non-physicians will receive a certificate of participation.

For Continuing Nursing Education for Nurses (CNE): The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited as a provider of Continuing Nursing Education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.

This activity provides 1 contact hours.

IACET Continuing Education Units (CEU):The CDC has been approved as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET), 1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500, McLean, VA 22102.The CDC is authorized by IACET to offer .1 ANSI/IACET CEU's for this program.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: Introduce participants to sleep problems in CFS, and explain diagnostic process and management strategies.

TARGET AUDIENCE: Physicians, nurses, physician assistants, dentists, epidemiologists, health educators, students
Subject Area(s):
Chronic Diseases
Epidemiology / Biostatistics
General Public Health
Audience(s):
Epidemiologists / Surveillance Staff
Educators / Trainers
Nurses
Physicians and Other Clinicians
Dental Professionals
Student
Background/Role(s):NoneCourse Language(s):
English
Course Level:IntermediateCore Competencies:noneRegistration Required Outside of TRAIN:noRegistration Restrictions:Sponsor:Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Accreditations:noneSpecial Notes:

Sparrow

I watched the CDC course on management. It's not awful. It does mention CBT and GET, but it stresses them in the actually useful way - CBT to help us rest more without feeling guilty about it, and graded exercise to prevent us from overdoing it. It made the clear statement that unlike depression, CFS is not a mental illness, and stressed that activity that causes PEM should be avoided. There were some good statements in there.

I'm not super keen that they were so clear about treatment with antivirals, etc. being so experimental still, but it is true.

I don't think it would be a bad thing if doctors became familiar with the things mentioned here. This gives me hope that we may actually be moving in the right direction. Such a short time ago, anything like this would have been so cringe-worthy it left me fuming. I was almost afraid to click.

usedtobeperkytina

I have said, after talking to some and reading what they say, that different "experts" use these terms to mean different things. I still don't think CDC should use the terms, for that very reason. However, we can take comfort that even if they use imprecise terms, when they explain it, they show a better understanding of the disease than was the case when Reeves was there.

usedtobeperkytina

I can't find any videos. Can someone give the links to that? I looked at on of the CME courses, which I had seen before, but it had been a while. So I went to see if they had made any changes. They had. However, about halfway through, I stopped. Found two grammar errors, and the text went below the window bottom, but I couldn't get to it.